The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath firmers 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EconEast
Firmed Bath for Economics L101 A*AA, insured Exeter

Niceeee :tongue: we will most likely share a module in your second year - I'm a second year at the moment, going off on placement next year and in my third year I get to choose an Econ module called Econometrics :tongue: great fun.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hey all, current first year at bath here! Im living in John Wood Court (was late applying to other accommodations) and was expecting the worst. however, i am here to spread the joys of John Wood and do not panic if you are here by choice or otherwise.
Pros:
Great room size and quality for the price (some of the biggest of all the accommodations)
4 or 5 per kitchen (very reasonable) with 2 toilets and a shower. rarely is there a queue for either.
Perfect location for all the nearly pubs and clubs
Good for exploring the city (lovely place)
Good selection of supermarkets, Sainsburys, tescos, iceland etc (on campus there is only 1 small-ish expensive supermarket)
Distance between here and campus makes it a lovely retreat at the end of the day - makes you feel at home.

Cons:
20 minute bus journey to campus so you will have to be up earlier than those on campus.
Occasional long bus queues (I have been late 3 times the whole year due to busses)
~£175 for a bus pass but you save that with cheaper rent

I dont regret John Wood at all - great place to be!
Hello everyone! I am Sayan Biswas from India. I will be applying for accommodation and do need one desperately, as I am an international student, at least for the first year. Is there any one else from India or any other country outside Europe planning to attend the University of Bath? I will be doing MMath (hons) with a year abroad!
Original post by sayanskywalker
Hello everyone! I am Sayan Biswas from India. I will be applying for accommodation and do need one desperately, as I am an international student, at least for the first year. Is there any one else from India or any other country outside Europe planning to attend the University of Bath? I will be doing MMath (hons) with a year abroad!

Hi :smile: I'm from the Maldives. I will be doing Psychology
Original post by Zeennaeem
Hi :smile: I'm from the Maldives. I will be doing Psychology

wow! Hope to see you in September! You've applied for/been assigned an accommodation ?
Reply 205
Architecture with placement 😀 (sorry for the late reply 😅)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
Original post by SeanFM
Hi guys,

This thread is for people firming the University of Bath this year.

Accommodation opens up in April if I remember correctly, and the good ones get snapped up quite quickly so if you do firm before that, best to make up your mind pretty quickly! :fyi: you get to choose 3 types in order of preference.

Some information about accommodation:

Spoiler

As an icebreaker:

What have you applied for?

Where are you from?

What are you studying at the moment?

What accommodation(s) are you interested in?

Accounting and finance
Kent
Economics, maths, physics
Malborough court
Original post by tomoke
Accounting and finance
Kent
Economics, maths, physics
Malborough court

Nice one, A&F sounds quite fun (especially the academic writing module in the first year :tongue:)
Subject: Biomedical Sciences (BSc)
Studying- BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied (Medical) Science and AS CHEMISTRY
not sure about accommodations really
Original post by ConfusedPanda
Hey all, current first year at bath here! Im living in John Wood Court (was late applying to other accommodations) and was expecting the worst. however, i am here to spread the joys of John Wood and do not panic if you are here by choice or otherwise.
Pros:
Great room size and quality for the price (some of the biggest of all the accommodations)
4 or 5 per kitchen (very reasonable) with 2 toilets and a shower. rarely is there a queue for either.
Good selection of supermarkets, Sainsburys, tescos, iceland etc (on campus there is only 1 small-ish expensive supermarket)
Distance between here and campus makes it a lovely retreat at the end of the day - makes you feel at home.

Cons:
20 minute bus journey to campus so you will have to be up earlier than those on campus.
Occasional long bus queues (I have been late 3 times the whole year due to busses)

Hi! How late were you in applying for accommodation? I have put Bath as my insurance choice so would like to know my options if I study there. What accommodation will be available around results time? Would John Wood be available? Would any on-campus accommodation be available?

Just wondering. Thank you
Original post by Alby1234
Hi! How late were you in applying for accommodation? I have put Bath as my insurance choice so would like to know my options if I study there. What accommodation will be available around results time? Would John Wood be available? Would any on-campus accommodation be available?

Just wondering. Thank you

I know they were really packed this year in term of accommodation. I was an insurance holder so got the leftover stuff, but I was sharing with people who left accommodation until too late and got the same as me. I only got on campus because they converted some offices, but they're making it proper accommodation for this year coming. It's really hard to say, it made me apply for John Wood in town when I applied due to the lack of accommodation!
Reply 211
Original post by EconEast
Firmed Bath for Economics L101 A*AA, insured Exeter

Me too!!
Firmed for biomedical sciences (AAA) insured Exeter. Quads is my top accomodation, Marl and Sols second! Originally from London. I really hope I get in :biggrin:
Got a room in Norwood. Buzzing!!
Original post by shanabanana
Got a room in Norwood. Buzzing!!

As in that's what you've applied for or they've told you?
Just paid for accommodation.

Feelsgoodman
Reply 216
Hey guys, I got allocated a room in 'James House'. It's supposedly a new building in city center, but they don't have enough pictures online! Has anyone lived there/know how it's like? Any information would be helpful.Thanks a bunch,
Original post by 811
Hey guys, I got allocated a room in 'James House'. It's supposedly a new building in city center, but they don't have enough pictures online! Has anyone lived there/know how it's like? Any information would be helpful.Thanks a bunch,

do you have an unconditional offer?
Reply 218
Yup, had one since last December! :smile: masters in engineering
Reply 219
Original post by ConfusedPanda
Pros:

Cons:

Hi, the bus pass is £175 per year? I looked up FirstBath bus service and they offer an unlimited monthly pass for £46. This is for Bath inner zone, as I am not sure if we would need the outer zone which is £56 a month. Any idea about bus routes and times?

Quick Reply

Latest