The Student Room Group

Robot wars is BACK!

Scroll to see replies

That was amazing. I wish I could say it was worth waiting half my lifetime for, but that would be a lie as I'm as impatient as they come. But still amazing.

I LOVE the new format, a great way to get a lot of battles out of a small number of robots. :biggrin: The lack of music was unexpected, but having watched a series and a half of BattleBots, I've gotten used to that, and it's nice to hear a few more sounds from the arena (even if they did have to mute Carbide's spinner!)

Can't wait for next week! :excited:

Added spoiler tags to your post, hope you don't mind. :smile:

Original post by Kernel_Coder
That was the most fun I've had watching TV for many, many years!

Slightly disappointed that Charles isn't back, as he was a huge part of the original, but I thought it was pretty good with Dara. I wonder if Tornado/Storm will be returning, as I really liked those two. I remember essentially every episode of the old series I loved it so much. I'm also wondering if Chaos 2 will return.

Do many people here remember the original airings of Robot Wars? Sometimes I feel too old for tsr. :smile:

If you want a full lineup of which robots are entering, and when, check out the competitors page of the Robot Wars website. :yes:

I watched the second episode of Series 1 as it aired - didn't see the first, as my father said it was a program for adults. :cry: Suffice to say I never missed another episode. :biggrin:

Regarding Razer

(edited 7 years ago)

1 Episode spoilers

(edited 7 years ago)
The wild card place was announced early on when news about the format started appearing, and it's been on the side of the competitors page for a while. I was surprised they didn't mention it in the episode itself though.

I don't know which robots will be eligible for picking, whether it's exclusive to the heat final losers or whether any unlucky bot can get a second chance, but I'd be happy to see either of the two you mentioned in the final.
What a joke,

Spoiler

bring it back!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm thinking that Behemoth's scoop acts as a good defense against spinners, so it should come out alright from its first battle with Carbide (though its sides look as vulnerable as ever). From the looks of the arena, there are enough hazards to make the whole flip and push tactic work, though I guess we'll see.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

Spoiler

Indeed, but other than that I'm fairly happy with how my predictions came out. :yes: I think I'll keep doing that each week, with four heats and a final to go, I ought to get it right at least once. :giggle:
I was psyched to see this back, but did anyone else think the editing was abysmal?

During the fights, they switch camera every 2 seconds, so it's impossible to follow the fight or track what's actually going on. All the weird angles should be used for replays and highlights after the fight, not while it's going on. Unwatchable.
Original post by chazwomaq
I was psyched to see this back, but did anyone else think the editing was abysmal?

During the fights, they switch camera every 2 seconds, so it's impossible to follow the fight or track what's actually going on. All the weird angles should be used for replays and highlights after the fight, not while it's going on. Unwatchable.

Agreed, I didn't like the live house robot cam shots.
Reply 88
Original post by chazwomaq

Totally agree with that, the first fight was unwatchable. Got better as they moved on but wasn't great.

Carbide is monstrous. Imagine if carbide and hypnodisc had a face off. Amazed how much Behmouth got ripped apart by Carbide, they always looked super strong against everyone else.
Gutted Razor went out so soon.
I was hoping Hypno Disk would return this series but after seeing Carbide I think it's a great replacement.
I really didn't expect Carbide to damage Behemoth in the way it did - it shows how much damage that spinner can do. The whole structure of Carbide must be very tough to handle the kinetic energy dished out during contact at full RPM - I did expect it to damage itself if it hit the arena wall but this didn't actually affect it too much. Still, it does look like the spinner isn't 100% reliable but when it is working it's very destructive.
Reply 91
Anyone else dislike the new arena? We won't get to see anyone flipped out of it now. Dislike those spikes that stick up too.
Dead Metal seems to have a much better saw though, actually made an impact into terrahertz, doubt it would have in the past.
Official BBC upload of Carbide vs Behemoth. :biggrin:

Reply 93
It was nice of Carbide not to keep trying to shred Behemoth apart, Wouldn't have been surprised to see one more hit at least. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Reply 94
Original post by dhr90
It was nice of Carbide not to keep trying to shred Behemoth apart, Wouldn't have been surprised to see one more hit at least. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I think the spinner failed (it had certainly stopped) otherwise they definitely would have had another hit.
Reply 95
Original post by jneill
I think the spinner failed (it had certainly stopped) otherwise they definitely would have had another hit.

I thought it had spun back up as they backed it into the pit? Just hadn't reached its full rpm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't blown away by the first episode, but it was fun.

I still wish Craig Charles was still the presenter...
Reply 97
Original post by dhr90
I thought it had spun back up as they backed it into the pit? Just hadn't reached its full rpm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, just re-watched the ending and you're correct :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by jneill
Ah yes, just re-watched the ending and you're correct :smile:

Imagine if two bots with spinners like that went head to head :coma:
Reply 99
Original post by dhr90
Imagine if two bots with spinners like that went head to head :coma:

It would be the LHC black hole all over again...

Actually there's a few spinners in the comp.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/429pM29J4mfytYXBYhtm6KG/10-of-the-most-destructive-looking-robots-from-the-series?__flush_cache=1

Quick Reply

Latest