The Student Room Group

With all this terrorism I expect a Terrorist NUKE in the next year.

With all these recent shootings,bombings and rampages we see there is holes in national security of many European countries and I certainly expect that if terrorists continue to leak through we can certainly expect 1 to leak through with a self made Nuclear Weapon.

Some American kid already made a nuclear reactor back in the 90's a terrorist could sneak through and do it today. Nuclear materials are not that hard to get hold of when you know possible sources:
[video="youtube;ySouQ1ykBMo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySouQ1ykBMo[/video]
The cleanup of this kids homemade reactor costed thousands of dollars.

But if a terrorist get's a reactor and gets just a small amount of the correct substances a nuke that could wipe a small town out could be made.

We need to take action sooner or later or we will just see the number of terrorist related incidents continuously rise higher and higher!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would not be surprised if some terrorists are already stockpiling materials to make a bomb from homemade nuclear reactors.
Reply 2
I can safely say you have no understanding how nuclear weaponry works.
Reply 3
Original post by oShahpo

Well I hear you need a reactor in order to harvest materials to then build a nuclear weapon.
Well, 100 nukes are missing from ex soviet silos......
I've had 800 tins of baked beans in the basement since 2010.
Reply 6
Original post by jake4198
I've had 800 tins of baked beans in the basement since 2010.

You seem prepared.
Reply 7
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Well I hear you need a reactor in order to harvest materials to then build a nuclear weapon.

To make a nuclear bomb, you need something that can produce a nuclear explosion, i.e. something that produces a sustainable nuclear chain reaction.
For this, you need to have a critical mass of an isotope, such as uranium. That means you need not only obtain a sufficient amount of uranium, but also you need to enrich it to be able to reach critical mass. How do you think they will exactly be able to obtain uranium in the first place? How about enrich? How about design the vessel that will carry the bomb?
It's impossible. Hell, a whole country (Iran) with all its resources couldn't do it without being detected.
Reply 8
And if a terrorist uses one of these bombs we could possibly expect some:
Mutual assured destruction
Reply 9
If you'd said dirty bomb, then possibly.

Nuclear is unlikely.
As above a dirty bomb is possible, but not an ICBM.
Reply 11
I always though Nuclear Bomb = Dirty Bomb

Still a Dirty Bomb could cause some large issues.
Original post by oShahpo

I know right.

When I read "self made nuclear weapon" I literally burst out laughing.
Reply 13
Well if NK can get nukes ISIL could too.

Then you always thought wrong. A simple Google would set you straight.

Nuclear weapon = typically a multi stage thermonuclear device. Hard to make.
Dirty bomb = normal bomb with radioactive material. Easier to make.

A dirty bomb is a different thing all together, but the thing about dirty bombs is that they're so easy to detect, and you can't get the materials from here in the UK. There is no way you can bring it from overseas without it being detected.
Well if NK can get nukes ISIL could too.

That's on a par with saying that since Manchester Utd can enter the FA Cup, then so can IS.
Reply 17
Original post by Drewski
That's on a par with saying that since Manchester Utd can enter the FA Cup, then so can IS.

IS has no footy team. Also NK is a poor country that fails to keep it's people fed. ISIL is in a similar position.
NK is at a truce in war. IS is at war with the West.

NK and IS are highly equal in terms of weaponry and technology.
I am waiting for the Isis space station
I am gravely concerned about the increasing threat of Islamic terrorism but I don't think you really understand how hard it is to make a viable nuclear bomb.

Even a dirty bomb I don't see as feasible or guaranteed to be that effective. Running people over with a truck or a few guys running round shooting people and then blowing themselves up in a crowded place is much simpler.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending