The Student Room Group

What university for a mathematics degree?

Hi all,
I know that the top unis for maths are Oxbridge, ICL, Warwick, etc., but I wanted to see if anyone had any information on the best uni for graduate prospects? Like, are any universities in partnership with big financial firms/businesses such as PwC? Or are any unis better than others for graduate employment?
Thanks!
Reply 1
Nottingham has good employer links as the maths society is sponsored by Deloitte which is a top financial firm and they run various like networking events and work experience and stuff and lots of the modules are things like ' professional skills for maths graduates' so i feel like a lot of emphasis is placed on employability. This was probably the main reason I applied there as they seem very focused on getting people into work after their degree besides just learning more maths.

Maths in itself is a great degree to have and opens up many doors so don't worry too much about employability rates after your degree as chances are you will find it quite straighforwarded to gain employment after your course. Check on ' uni stats ' to see employer rates for maths but you'll find that most decent unis will have high rates for students in further study / jobs and the average starting salaries tend to be quite high also like 22K or thereabouts :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
Nottingham has good employer links as the maths society is sponsored by Deloitte which is a top financial firm and they run various like networking events and work experience and stuff and lots of the modules are things like ' professional skills for maths graduates' so i feel like a lot of emphasis is placed on employability. This was probably the main reason I applied there as they seem very focused on getting people into work after their degree besides just learning more maths.

Maths in itself is a great degree to have and opens up many doors so don't worry too much about employability rates after your degree as chances are you will find it quite straighforwarded to gain employment after your course. Check on ' uni stats ' to see employer rates for maths but you'll find that most decent unis will have high rates for students in further study / jobs and the average starting salaries tend to be quite high also like 22K or thereabouts :biggrin:

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
Thank you so much!

thats alright ; manchester is also ranked highly for graduate prospects and they run a ' calculating careers ' fair each year where students can chat with employers and stuff

Quick Reply

Latest