The Student Room Group

I think I hear voices and I am scared

Well whenever I am around people I think I hear voices telling me to leave. I have never liked being around people but recently it's getting worse and worse. I don't know if I actually hear stuff or I am just making it up. Also I've been really angry and scared for no reason. I just wake up mad and scared. I don't have a close relationship with anyone and it's kinda embarrassing as well. I am scared of talking to someone about this.

Scroll to see replies

i know how hearing voices can be scary but leaving it to get worse will only make you more ill. i was embarassed to tell anyone and eventually it all got on top of me. it is best to get help as soon as you can. make an appointment with a gp and explain how you've been feeling. while it can be scary to admit what is happening to you, try to tell them everything that you have been experiencing so that they can help you as best they can
Seconded on the 1st reply. go to the gp, and if nothing comes of it, ask for a referral to speak with a Councillor or the like. I'm not one to mince words on this stuff so, absolute worst case you've got schizophrenia or a tumor. Best case, in my armchair-psychologist's opinion, is an anxiety disorder. But really though, I'm not a doctor, and they are the one type of professional equipped to diagnose and help treat what you're going through, so I'd really suggest seeing one! They're trained to be respectful and non-judgemental, so try not to worry about any of that
Reply 3
Original post by lettherebedrums
i know how hearing voices can be scary but leaving it to get worse will only make you more ill. i was embarassed to tell anyone and eventually it all got on top of me. it is best to get help as soon as you can. make an appointment with a gp and explain how you've been feeling. while it can be scary to admit what is happening to you, try to tell them everything that you have been experiencing so that they can help you as best they can

Original post by SirKyrgystan
Seconded on the 1st reply. go to the gp, and if nothing comes of it, ask for a referral to speak with a Councillor or the like. I'm not one to mince words on this stuff so, absolute worst case you've got schizophrenia or a tumor. Best case, in my armchair-psychologist's opinion, is an anxiety disorder. But really though, I'm not a doctor, and they are the one type of professional equipped to diagnose and help treat what you're going through, so I'd really suggest seeing one! They're trained to be respectful and non-judgemental, so try not to worry about any of that

Okay Thank you. I will try. There's so much happening I just don't know where to start
Reply 4
Well with me it's like someone is standing right next to me or maybe behind me and whispering in my ear
I thought I heard a voice at night when I was really young. It kept saying "doom," in a threatening voice, and I didn't like it. I eventually found that I could control the voice... it would read anything I was reading, and then as long as I could keep my mind focused on forming thoughts as if I were going to speak or write something, I was fine and the voice was compliant. It would happen whenever everything was quiet. I would hear a strange, constant tone start in my ear, followed by the voice. Music, television, or conversation were enough to stop it from happening, and it tended to appear whenever I felt anxious and there was no sound. So I just started leaving the lights and television on all the time until I got older and it stopped happening.

If your situation is anything like mine, the reason you're hearing a voice telling you to leave when you're around people is because you feel unwelcome/scared on some level of the situation. You may actually be hearing your own inner dialogue as an external voice because you feel overwhelmed.

Still, if you can't gain any control over it yourself and it keeps getting worse, you might need to see a doctor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Okay Thank you. I will try. There's so much happening I just don't know where to start

Hi,

Maybe try keeping a diary of what exactly happens when you hear these voices (how you experience them - ears or inside head -, what they say, etc.) and what you are doing when they occur, and how long they last for. As has been said, it could be something like (social) anxiety, or something else. Either way if it's causing distress or making you uncomfortable, you shouldn't hesitate to go and talk to a GP about it. Better to catch this kinda thing - whatever it may be - early on :yes:
Reply 7
Original post by jeremy1988
I thought I heard a voice at night when I was really young. It kept saying "doom," in a threatening voice, and I didn't like it. I eventually found that I could control the voice... it would read anything I was reading, and then as long as I could keep my mind focused on forming thoughts as if I were going to speak or write something, I was fine and the voice was compliant. It would happen whenever everything was quiet. I would hear a strange, constant tone start in my ear, followed by the voice. Music, television, or conversation were enough to stop it from happening, and it tended to appear whenever I felt anxious and there was no sound. So I just started leaving the lights and television on all the time until I got older and it stopped happening.

If your situation is anything like mine, the reason you're hearing a voice telling you to leave when you're around people is because you feel unwelcome/scared on some level of the situation. You may actually be hearing your own inner dialogue as an external voice because you feel overwhelmed.

Still, if you can't gain any control over it yourself and it keeps getting worse, you might need to see a doctor.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi,

Maybe try keeping a diary of what exactly happens when you hear these voices (how you experience them - ears or inside head -, what they say, etc.) and what you are doing when they occur, and how long they last for. As has been said, it could be something like (social) anxiety, or something else. Either way if it's causing distress or making you uncomfortable, you shouldn't hesitate to go and talk to a GP about it. Better to catch this kinda thing - whatever it may be - early on :yes:

Original post by jeremy1988

Hi,

right okay. Thank you. I'll maybe speak to my gp
Reply 8
Was it same with you?
right okay. Thank you. I'll maybe speak to my gp

Sounds like a good idea :yes: If you have any questions about voice hearing, do feel free to ask me here or to PM me (won't tell anyone who you are, dw!). I've heard voices for over 20 years now, from the age of 5 onwards :yes:
Sounds like a good idea :yes: If you have any questions about voice hearing, do feel free to ask me here or to PM me (won't tell anyone who you are, dw!). I've heard voices for over 20 years now, from the age of 5 onwards :yes:

Thank you mate. appreciate it
Reply 11
Ahh anxiety is a *****.
Original post by Ciel.
Ahh anxiety is a *****.

It certainly is
im scared
Original post by fefssdf
im scared

How come mate?
Original post by Ciel.
Well, there's always valium. Or xanax. Talk to your doctor about diazepam *serene voice straight from an american pharmaceutical ad*. GPs are unlikely to prescribe it though, unless your persuasive skills are excellent. Or you can just. YOU KNOW. There's a will, there's a way.

I'll maybe throw some words in but I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT PERSUADING PEOPLE. I'll go with the flow
Reply 16
I'll maybe throw some words in but I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT PERSUADING PEOPLE. I'll go with the flow

Sucks to be you! Just kidding, don't worry, I'm sure you'll manage. Use your tongue. To talk to the doctor, of course!
Reply 17
Well whenever I am around people I think I hear voices telling me to leave. I have never liked being around people but recently it's getting worse and worse. I don't know if I actually hear stuff or I am just making it up. Also I've been really angry and scared for no reason. I just wake up mad and scared. I don't have a close relationship with anyone and it's kinda embarrassing as well. I am scared of talking to someone about this.

First of all, take it easy because, although what you've said is of course abnormal, there have been plenty of similar people who've received help and managed those voices. Once you've done that, and understand you're not in helpless position, please see your GP. If you don't feel comfortable saying all of this, perhaps get it down in writing and hand that to him/her. They have trained for decades to finally be able to offer excellent advice; which I'm sure, if you follow to the end, will make you feel better :smile:

Best wishes!

G
How come mate?

this thread lol
Original post by G.name
First of all, take it easy because, although what you've said is of course abnormal, there have been plenty of similar people who've received help and managed those voices. Once you've done that, and understand you're not in helpless position, please see your GP. If you don't feel comfortable saying all of this, perhaps get it down in writing and hand that to him/her. They have trained for decades to finally be able to offer excellent advice; which I'm sure, if you follow to the end, will make you feel better :smile:

Best wishes!

G

Thank you G. I think I am gonna write to my gp instead of actually going in and speaking

Quick Reply

Latest