The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by WannabeDrA
I was thinking of doing the kaplan course but wasn't sure if it was worth the money. Will you let us know how you find it? :smile: Do Warwick only look at VR when deciding who to interview?

So I just finished my Kaplan course. Whilst I thought it was great because it offered me the chance to thoroughly asses the UKCAT test and learn some techniques for time management and how to handle questions, its nothing that i hadn't already been able to pick up/learn from a the Kaplan book/Medic Portal book and Medify. It is not worth the £300+ that they charge! I come away feeling more confident but because I spent 7 hours each day working solidly through the questions. I would save your money and just practise loads with your own materials. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Joanne86
Hi :smile: I'm looking at applying to Warwick too (and Newcastle). Didn't do fantastic on ukcat, average of 675 and VR 600. Can I ask what kind of work experience you all have or are planning on doing? I have already done a week of shadowing and now I'm looking at something I can do weekly maybe, but not sure how that will work in between working full time. How many hours have you/will you be doing?

i just finished my week of shadowing in an oncology department, and have been volunteering for two charities for a couple of months now, with 92 hours of experience in total so far. i intend to keep doing the volunteering until i find a job. it might be more challenging to squeeze in your volunteering with a full time job, but im sure there are plenty of things you can do on the weekend or afterwork hours. have you any thoughts on the kind of experience youd like to gain?
Original post by dr_2b
I don't think there is one so thanks for creating it!

I am applying to Warwick (assuming I achieve a decent score in my ukcat - 6 aug).
I have a first in a non-science degree (from Warwick :smile:).
Other schools I am applying to: notts, sgul and either swansea or newcastle.
I am guessing you're also preparing for your ukcat?

How's GAMSAT prep going? :biggrin:
Original post by Hugh Laurie
i just finished my week of shadowing in an oncology department, and have been volunteering for two charities for a couple of months now, with 92 hours of experience in total so far. i intend to keep doing the volunteering until i find a job. it might be more challenging to squeeze in your volunteering with a full time job, but im sure there are plenty of things you can do on the weekend or afterwork hours. have you any thoughts on the kind of experience youd like to gain?

I'm trying to find things that I can fit in after work or weekends, but because I've left it a bit last minute, I need something where I can start straight away, a lot of places I've looked at have introductions etc. I'm on holiday at the beginning of September and I need to get some hours in before I apply in October.
I've applied for a hospice close to where I work, so hopefully I'll get something there. Do you think one voluntary role will be enough? I'm also thinking about shadowing a phlebotomist for a day, would this count with Warwick guidelines of what's classed as appropriate experience?
i think you need the two weeks full time work experience (or 70h) by the application deadline, so you have just over 2 months to get another weeks worth in. from what ive read on their webpage, i think shadowing a phlebotomist should count as it will have presumably a lot of patient interaction (but personally im not sure how much you can learn from it). given the amount of time left before the deadline, and that these things usually take some time with paperwork and checks, my advice would be to contact as many places as you can to maximise your chances of finding something suited to your timetable.
Reply 25
Original post by VARRRDAQ
How's GAMSAT prep going? :biggrin:

Ha! Gamsat? :smile: i am concentrating on my ukcat now (exam in less than two weeks) :s-smilie:
Original post by dr_2b
Ha! Gamsat? :smile: i am concentrating on my ukcat now (exam in less than two weeks) :s-smilie:

Ah, as you mentioned you're applying to swansea I thought you might be sitting it
I'll be applying to Warwick for GEM this year (going into my final year of a Chemistry degree at Uni of Liverpool). Currently working over summer as a HCA at a care home for severe dementia patients and have spent 2 weeks volunteering at an elderly care home (going on days out etc.)

My question is I have 1 week shadowing on a trauma/A&E unit and also a week spent shadowing on a Surgical Assessment Unit, however these were in 2013 and so over 2 years ago. Will these experiences be completely ignored or would they still be worth mentioning / reflecting on in personal statement ? I'm also trying to sort out a weeks shadowing at a local GP surgery, do people think this would be enough ?

As for UKCT I signed up to Medify today (2 month membership) and have found it really useful so far. Planning to sit my UKCAT in mid September so giving me the most possible time from now to revise.

Hows everyone feeling for UKCAT ?
Reply 28
Original post by VARRRDAQ
Ah, as you mentioned you're applying to swansea I thought you might be sitting it

Yep, I'm doing the gamsat but i've had to put revision on hold to prepare for the ukcat :smile:
Hey guys, Im applying to Warwick for 2017 too. I've not been to any open days but from what I've heard it ranks at my joint number 1 with Newcastle so far. The thing that really appeals about Warwick is that its grad only and there wont be any 18 year old know it alls there :P

I've just graduated BioMed with 1st class honours, undertaking my Masters starting this september in Oncology.

I've currently got somewhere around 10,000 hours work experience in Healthcare so Im well covered on that point haha. I worked (and still do) every weekend 12 hours a day all throughout my undergrad and a few years before leading up to it.

Got my UKCAT booked for mid September but not started revising or anything yet. Eek.
Did my UKCAT today and got 730 average. I'm so happy, especially as my score last year was abysmal (615).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Medici103
Did my UKCAT today and got 730 average. I'm so happy, especially as my score last year was abysmal (615).

Oh That's a great score! How'd you find AR? Im struggling and my test is in two weeks :frown:
Original post by koolkat95
Oh That's a great score! How'd you find AR? Im struggling and my test is in two weeks :frown:

AR and I are not friends. It was my worse section (640). Some of the patterns were instantly obvious but others I made a best guess at what the pattern maybe and went back to it if time allowed.

grats! time to start interview preps then :P
grats! time to start interview preps then :P

I really hope that I get an interview. I loved the open day!
Reply 35
AR and I are not friends. It was my worse section (640). Some of the patterns were instantly obvious but others I made a best guess at what the pattern maybe and went back to it if time allowed.

That still isn't a bad score, Warwick focuses on VR more anyways
Original post by koolkat95
That still isn't a bad score, Warwick focuses on VR more anyways

Thank goodness for that! 760 in VR so they can focus on that all they like!

Someone advised me to look at the non-test shapes first to identify patterns without bias from having looked at the test pattern. Maybe try that. I will admit that I had intended to use this strategy but tactics went out of the window whilst I sat there.
Thank goodness for that! 760 in VR so they can focus on that all they like!

Someone advised me to look at the non-test shapes first to identify patterns without bias from having looked at the test pattern. Maybe try that. I will admit that I had intended to use this strategy but tactics went out of the window whilst I sat there.

ugh i can only hope the 17-18 year olds give me a hand and drag the national average down to previous years figures ^^

for AR, it helps to focus on the simplest looking box, and systematically going through possible rules by confirming with neighboring boxes (and then the rest). also after so much medify/1000Q its easy to overthink patterns, do not overlook the simplest rules and it should go fine!
ugh i can only hope the 17-18 year olds give me a hand and drag the national average down to previous years figures ^^

for AR, it helps to focus on the simplest looking box, and systematically going through possible rules by confirming with neighboring boxes (and then the rest). also after so much medify/1000Q its easy to overthink patterns, do not overlook the simplest rules and it should go fine!

I know what you mean about overthinking! All that was going through my head was whether or not there was a prime number based pattern going on. I had missed one on medify and couldn't seem to let it go!

well done! Do you have any tips for QR? I am quite confident with my maths skills however it all goes to pot when I am put under pressure during the ukcat conditions.

Latest

Trending

Trending