The Student Room Group

Sketching a curve after differentiation

Using differentiation, find the turning points of the function y = x3 2x2 + 1 and sketch its curve.
Original post by Deannnn97
Using differentiation, find the turning points of the function y = x3 2x2 + 1 and sketch its curve.

What about it? Will I get paid if I do your homework for you? Show some attempt!
Reply 2

dy/dx = 3x2 - 4x
= x(3x - 4)
Turning points are (0,0) (1.33,0)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Trapz99
dy/dx = 3x2 - 4x
= x(3x - 4)

Thanks, so would this be a u shape or a n shape? I am not sure whether the shape comes from the +/-x or the +/- of the number?
Original post by Trapz99
dy/dx = 3x2 - 4x

= x(3x - 4)

You missed a step, you need to sub the x values back into y to find the y coordinates at the stationary point.

Thanks, so would this be a u shape or a n shape? I am not sure whether the shape comes from the +/-x or the +/- of the number?

Neither, it's a cubic curve.
Reply 5
Sorry I misread the question.

When you draw the graph for x3 - 2x2 + 1 that's a cubic curve and not u or n shaped
Original post by Trapz99
No I didn't miss anything.

It's not a cubic curve. 3x2 - 4x doesn't have any cube

That's dydx\frac{dy}{dx}

The curve is y=x32x2+1 y = x^3 - 2x^2 +1 written in the OP.
Original post by Trapz99
Sorry I misread the question.

When you draw the graph for x3 - 2x2 + 1 that's a cubic curve and not u or n shaped

you need to sub your X values into the original equation for the stationary points, not the differential
Reply 8
The answer is:
a) dy/dx = 3x2 - 4x
0 = x (3x - 4)
x = 1.33 x =0
y = -5/27 y = 1
So (1.33, -0.1852) and (0,1) are turning points
Reply 9
Original post by Bananapeeler
you need to sub your X values into the original equation for the stationary points, not the differential

Lol yeah I messed up
Reply 10
Do you understand why we have to use differentiation to be able to sketch the curve more accurately, or are you doing it for the sake of it?
Original post by RDKGames
What about it? Will I get paid if I do your homework for you? Show some attempt!

Homework at this time of year?
Original post by ODES_PDES
Homework at this time of year?

Perhaps the summer schools are stepping it up a notch. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest