The Student Room Group

What does Mpharm actually mean?

Hi, I am thinking about studying pharmacy at uni but I am confused about what mpharm actually means. I found out that it stands for master of pharmacy but does it mean that by the end of the fourth year, you will have a masters degree in pharmacy? I also heard that if thats the case, you can move straight onto getting a PHD after doing 4 years of Mpharm... Any clarification will be amazing as I am not certain.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by coconut64
Hi, I am thinking about studying pharmacy at uni but I am confused about what mpharm actually means. I found out that it stands for master of pharmacy but does it mean that by the end of the fourth year, you will have a masters degree in pharmacy? I also heard that if thats the case, you can move straight onto getting a PHD after doing 4 years of Mpharm... Any clarification will be amazing as I am not certain.

Thanks.

Yes, that's correct. But the MPharm alone doesn't not allow you to register and work as a pharmacist; you need to complete the pre-registration year, which follows on directly from the MPharm degree. During this year you work in a supervised capacity in either community, a CCG, hospital, industry, or a combination of these sectors, and after successful completion of the year, you're cleared to sit the registration assessment by your pre-registration tutor, after passing which you are registered with the GPhC (regulator of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and pharmacies in the UK) and can call yourself and work as a pharmacist.
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
Yes, that's correct. But the MPharm alone doesn't not allow you to register and work as a pharmacist; you need to complete the pre-registration year, which follows on directly from the MPharm degree. During this year you work in a supervised capacity in either community, a CCG, hospital, industry, or a combination of these sectors, and after successful completion of the year, you're cleared to sit the registration assessment by your pre-registration tutor, after passing which you are registered with the GPhC (regulator of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and pharmacies in the UK) and can call yourself and work as a pharmacist.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I also heard that if you don't manage to find a placement in the pre-registration year, then you will be in trouble as it is very competitive. Does it mean you cannot qualify to be a pharmacist? Thanks
Original post by coconut64
Hi, thanks for the reply. I also heard that if you don't manage to find a placement in the pre-registration year, then you will be in trouble as it is very competitive. Does it mean you cannot qualify to be a pharmacist? Thanks

You have 8 years from the date you start your degree to register with the GPhC as a pharmacist, so that would mean that you have 4 years after your MPharm to complete the pre-registration year. If you do not pass the pre-registration year within 8 years, you cannot register and work as a pharmacist in the UK, unless you have certain mitigating circumstances, e.g. periods of chronic illness, maternity leave, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending