The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

SOMEONE UKCAT tomorrow and i desperately need AR and QR help? Good timed online practice questions????

Also how is the real thing compared to the sample tests on the UKCAT website???

Thanks!
Hi, sorry I'm not really very sure about last minute revision resources other than those on the UKCAT website. I think Kaplan has a free trial, not tried it yet though. My test's this week too.I also have a similar question about the sample tests, what scores are people roughly getting?? Obviously it doesn't tell you your scaled up mark which is understandable cos scores are relative to the cohort performance and question difficulty etc but not knowing it still makes me really anxious and not sure what to make of my mock scores now...:/
ones on UKCAT website are so much harder than Kaplan!
Original post by jjcoolio

What times your test, got mine tomorrow also
Really? I know medify is probably slightly easier than the ukcat ones
Reply 925
Original post by spacedoc98
Really? I know medify is probably slightly easier than the ukcat ones

Original post by ashxx
is anyone here finding the VR section so hard?! any good tips??

Yesss! AR is my worst section but I'm just too slow at reading for VR so I'm still pretty weak in that. I've used the complete med guide, medify and kaplan mainly but I think i just have to keep reading lots of stuff. I've been doing some speed reading online so hopefully that helps. Maybe you can try that? OR just skimming for keywords in the question like the resources say.
Ahh okay, will probably weigh the kaplan trial questions much less now(!)
And same verbal reasoning is very trick, I just scan for key words and answer on gut instinct lol.
Quantitative reasoning is my worst section :'(
Ahh okay, will probably weigh the kaplan trial questions much less now(!)
And same verbal reasoning is very trick, I just scan for key words and answer on gut instinct lol.
Quantitative reasoning is my worst section :'(

me too, QR wouldn't even be hard if the timing were easier but it's too quick!
me too, QR wouldn't even be hard if the timing were easier but it's too quick!

I know! By the time I actually process what the question wants me to do i have to move on to the next one..and my test is at 8 am so my brain will probably be too slow for qr hahaa. Hopefully we'll be alright in the actual thing
Did you mention your test is tomorrow?!
I find the QR harder on Medify than the 1000Q book XD
Do we get anything to write on during the exam, for the QR section? As I'm practicing at home I have to note some numbers down because I can't remember them in my head, but not sure how this will be done in the test center.
Original post by TheRaver
Do we get anything to write on during the exam, for the QR section? As I'm practicing at home I have to note some numbers down because I can't remember them in my head, but not sure how this will be done in the test center.

They give you a whiteboard so you can write stuff down
I know! By the time I actually process what the question wants me to do i have to move on to the next one..and my test is at 8 am so my brain will probably be too slow for qr hahaa. Hopefully we'll be alright in the actual thing
Did you mention your test is tomorrow?!

yep! good luck
Who is going to do the DM session properly on the real test? Or are you just going to put the same answer for everything; move on to QR?
yep! good luck

Thank you, good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by Fireplace123
So everyone talks about techniques they have for AR! Anyone care to share as I am struggling! Also, I don't understand DA at all? Any good free reaources that i can use for that?

Decision Analysis is not in the UKCAT. It's been replaced with Decision Making which doesn't count at all as it's a trial (I don't THINK it will show up on the score sheet. Doesn't count to your average & total). Check the official website btw!
So everyone talks about techniques they have for AR! Anyone care to share as I am struggling! Also, I don't understand DA at all? Any good free reaources that i can use for that?

Why are you revising for DA? It is not in the exam this year and has been replaced by Decision Making, which does not count anyway.
Yikes sorry, i meant decision making!

Don;t bother with it. I did my test this morning and the results they give you do not include DM. They told us specifically that the score was only going to be used for research purposes and would NOT be given to unis. They did however recommend we should treat is seriously so as not to mess us their research.
Can someone please explain this thing with DA?
It's new so they don't count it in anything What is the point in doing it then?
Do we get to see a score for it?
Is it a part of out final score?
Do uni admission people get to see it?
Sorry, I'm really confused and worried

Uni dont get the score. You dont see the score. You dont need to care about it. Just sit back and relax for half an hour.
The info is on the UKCAT website but just to help you out I'll try to explain it :smile:

Decision making does not count in this year's sitting. It does not show up on the final scorecard and unis don't see your score either, so this year your marks will be based on VR AR and QR alone, taking an average of the 3 sections.

The point of it is that UKCAT want to pilot this section and see if it's a good section to potentially include from next year to replace DA. Apparently the decision analysis code breaking stuff was too easy and was dragging people's averages way up in the past, so they've scrapped that section as it seemed not representative compared to the rest of the exam.

You can't skip the section in the exam, so I strongly recommend doing it properly as it may be in next year's exam, so if you have to retake it next year it's good practice and you'll know what to expect. Also, it's pretty difficult to do nothing for 30 minutes in an exam!

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending