The Student Room Group

Most insurance companies turned me down as I dont have 1yr driving experience...

So I contacted the main insurance companies, if I can remember they were admiral, aviva, churchill etc but they all turned me down as I did not have a years worth of driving experience. I found that a little strange, as I presumed all new drivers get insured with the good companies that are popular like the ones I mentioned.

What insurance companies are you new drivers insured with and would you recommend them to me? Bearing in mind, I will be 2nd driver to my Dad's car for a while, to see how that goes, then I will eventually buy my own car.My driving instructor mentioned Tesco insurance...?

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Which car is it?
Original post by y-hus
Which car is it?

It is a Volkswagen polo 1.2
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm guessing you mean Volkswagen Polo?
I use Direct Line insurance, but it's a black box insurance as it's cheaper. Check out insurers using a comparison site like compare the market.
Reply 5
Did you try applying for temporary insurance rather than a full year, most companies wont offer temporary insurance until you've driven for a certain amount of time.

For a quick way to find prices go through Go Compare and then apply for a quote through the company directly to make sure you can't get any better.
Reply 6
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
So I contacted the main insurance companies, if I can remember they were admiral, aviva, churchill etc but they all turned me down as I did not have a years worth of driving experience. I found that a little strange, as I presumed all new drivers get insured with the good companies that are popular like the ones I mentioned.

What insurance companies are you new drivers insured with and would you recommend them to me? Bearing in mind, I will be 2nd driver to my Dad's car for a while, to see how that goes, then I will eventually buy my own car.My driving instructor mentioned Tesco insurance...?

What age are you? You won't be able to get a policy until you are 18, but you can (and should) be listed as the main driver if it's your car.

Also add your dad as a named driver.

Just check on comparethemarket or similar plus direct line (they don't list on the insurance aggregators)
Original post by jneill
What age are you? You won't be able to get a policy until you are 18, but you can (and should) be listed as the main driver if it's your car.

Just check on comparethemarket or similar plus direct line (they don't list on the insurance aggregators)

Cheaper to add your mum as named driver. Just sayin'. Experience...
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Cheaper to add your mum as named driver. Just sayin'. Experience...

Or both :wink:
Original post by jneill

I am 21. The car is my Dad's and I am wanting to insure on it as 2nd driver. I wont be using it everyday. TBH he takes it to work everyday except Sunday, so I will only have it on Sunday to drive around.
Reply 10
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
I am 21. The car is my Dad's and I am wanting to insure on it as 2nd driver. I wont be using it everyday. TBH he takes it to work everyday except Sunday, so I will only have it on Sunday to drive around.

Ok, then you really shouldn't be having any issues. Surely best thing is just to add you to his policy? I'm confused... (as you can tell...)

Quick Reply

Latest