The Student Room Group

Inspiring results day stories

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
Ah good for you :smile: employers should like that you've done two subjects and it'll leave you with more options also . What are you hoping to do post graduating ?

I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do yet. I've thought a bit about doing Secondary Teaching, but want to try to get some more work experience within a school first.

Are you awaiting any results this year? Any thoughts about what you hope to do in the future?
Original post by Rajive
What were your other subjects?

Biology and Psychology. Got B's in both in A2 results, and was just short of the minimum point requirement but, luckily, got the place anyway.
Original post by kirsty953
I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do yet. I've thought a bit about doing Secondary Teaching, but want to try to get some more work experience within a school first.

Are you awaiting any results this year? Any thoughts about what you hope to do in the future?

I'm waiting A2 results and should be off to do a maths degree and then after that I hope to be a maths teacher haha or if not something finance related to get mega rich gehe
Original post by fefssdf
I'm waiting A2 results and should be off to do a maths degree and then after that I hope to be a maths teacher haha or if not something finance related to get mega rich gehe

Ooh, good luck! I hope it all goes well for you! I was always useless at maths, it was much too difficult for me and the reason I struggled so much :tongue:
Original post by kirsty953
Ooh, good luck! I hope it all goes well for you! I was always useless at maths, it was much too difficult for me and the reason I struggled so much :tongue:

I used to hate maths till year 11 when I actually started to try meaning I weirdly ended up loving it ...
Reply 65
My brother woke up last A Level results day to see on track that he had missed both his firm and insurance offers. I've never seen him so upset, embarassed and scared before in his life - poor guy. He went to collect his results thinking they he must have bombed his exams, butttt, he had actually only slipped one grade for his insurance offer. He got AAB. His insurance uni said that if he got it remark and it went up to the AAA offered then he would get his place. However, he and my parents thought this was a too risky game so he went into clearing. He got a place at a uni he now absolutely adores. He had originally applied to it as one of his 5 choices and had received an offer from it, of AAB.

Looking back, we realise that maybe he wouldn't have enjoyed the other universities he applied to quite as much as he thought he would.

I generally think the system works out the way life wants it take to you.
Original post by fefssdf
Maybe this will be your lucky year where you get some drunk examiner who adds up your marks wrong and you get A*'s In everything :smile:

I hope mines pissed out their head then lol!
Given that this is TSR, there will always be that 1 person on here that would say anything other than A*A*A*A* + 1,1,1 in STEP 1/2/3 AND a place at oxbridge for a STEM course isn't really "inspiring". :rolleyes:
Alright so my story is a bit strange but bare with me.
In my A2 year I had a lot of troubles with my college, the head didnt allow me to apply for the course I wanted at Universities I chose. She would make me meet with her every week to essentially tell me my choices were beyond my reach. So I pretty much stopped going to college mid way through my A2 year.

I applied and forced her to accept my application through the college. She agreed on the condition that I enter as an external student so therefore my grades/my University acceptance rate wouldn't effect the sixth form's statistics. I agreed and stop attending.

I applied and managed to get a place at the University I wanted to attend. My offer as standard for this course/Uni was AAA. Which seemed difficult at first but I was fairly determined.

I taught myself my A2 year and just went to sixth form for my exams. My exams went okay apart from a few and I was convinced that I would get AAB.

My college has this rule where if you get AAA or higher they phone you the day before results day so you can write a post on their website about the college. So the day before results day I waited at the phone for hours and received no calls.

I was absolutely heart broken as I knew my firm would have rejected me, they're not a lenient university nor did I pick an insurance (stupid decision but had my heart set on one place and one place only).

Anyway I ended up going into college early the next day with a friend and one of my teachers (who I forgot to mention actually defended me and motivated me to apply for the course/uni I wanted, she actually believed I could achieve AAA) gave me the letter with my results in it as she was smiling. I assume she checked by results before me as teachers get them before students.

I opened them and was shocked. A*AA.
So obviously my firm accepted me. Probably the happiest day of my life.

A* being in the subject I study at University, apparently I was one of the only ones to achieve an A* at my sixth form in that subject (quite a small sixth form).

Cliche as it sounds, as Shia Labeouf would say: Dont let your dreams be dreams. I'm now going into my 3rd year of university with a 1st average, A*AA in my alevels and my future looks pretty bright.

Good luck alevel students, PS: University doesn't get any easier :cry2:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Given that this is TSR, there will always be that 1 person on here that would say anything other than A*A*A*A* + 1,1,1 in STEP 1/2/3 AND a place at oxbridge for a STEM course isn't really "inspiring". :rolleyes:

Well just saying you got those grades and that outcome in itself wouldn't be inspiring. In general you need a story of massive improvement or defeating the odds. Like I got good grades but it's not inspiring for me to just say "I opened the envelope, and the grades were good, and that was good."
Reply 70
This is kinda inspiring I guess

I did my english language gcse in january 2015, I was absolutely bricking it because I'm less confident with language. The exams were hell, a girl got taken ill during one and had to be taken out by paramedics, people decided to do that really funny 'game' where they all cough at the same time to distract people in the other, and to top it, everyone had seemed to have finished when I was still writing in both. I was convinced I'd failed.

Until it got to results day in March, and my form teacher handed me my results sheet and said "Take a look at that" with a really serious look. So I'm crapping myself thinking I've got 2 U's, and I actually had an A and an A* - the highest in the year!:biggrin:
Original post by Cobalt_
In my A2 year I had a lot of troubles with my college, the head didnt allow me to apply for the course I wanted at Universities I chose. She would make me meet with her every week to essentially tell me my choices were beyond my reach. So I pretty much stopped going to college mid way through my A2 year.

I applied and forced her to accept my application through the college. She agreed on the condition that I enter as an external student so therefore my grades/my University acceptance rate wouldn't effect the sixth form's statistics. I agreed and stop attending.

I applied and managed to get a place at the University I wanted to attend. My offer as standard for this course/Uni was AAA. Which seemed difficult at first but I was fairly determined.

I taught myself my A2 year and just went to sixth form for my exams. My exams went okay apart from a few and I was convinced that I would get AAB.

My college has this rule where if you get AAA or higher they phone you the day before results day so you can write a post on their website about the college. So the day before results day I waited at the phone for hours and received no calls.

I was absolutely heart broken as I knew my firm would have rejected me, they're not a lenient university nor did I pick an insurance (stupid decision but had my heart set on one place and one place only).

Anyway I ended up going into college early the next day with a friend and one of my teachers (who I forgot to mention actually defended me and motivated me to apply for the course/uni I wanted, she actually believed I could achieve AAA) gave me the letter with my results in it as she was smiling. I assume she checked by results before me as teachers get them before students.

A* being in the subject I study at University, apparently I was one of the only ones to achieve an A* at my sixth form in that subject (quite a small sixth form).

Cliche as it sounds, as Shia Labeouf would say: Dont let your dreams be dreams. I'm now going into my 3rd year of university with a 1st average, A*AA in my alevels and my future looks pretty bright.

Omg I wish I could have seen the look on the heads face! :biggrin:
Original post by chris2791
I hope mines pissed out their head then lol!

Yeppppp hehrhe
Original post by Cobalt_

I'm pretty sure your college is breaking the rules in contacting students who do well the day before results day given universities aren't even allowed to discuss grades until you've been to school on results day to pick them up ; this seems quite unfair if students from your college knew they'd got in to uni a day before everyone else :/

But well done on your results ; that's really great that you just ignored your stupid head and proved everyone wrong :biggrin:
For me it's about being in the middle set mathematics class throughout GCSE - being told no one in our class was capable of a B in mathematics - and then getting a grade 1 in STEP to get into Warwick.
Had a full operation (under anaesthetics) the weekend before my exams last year (french baccalaureate) - sat them under painkillers, the whole mess.
Suprisingly it took care of my nerves I had the week before and sat the exams almost as if it wasn't important haha. Maybe thanks to this I did better than expected and met the offer of A*AA (got an equivalent A*A*A) :biggrin: anything can happen I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fefssdf
Back in year 11 one of my mates from my science class went into a chemistry exam thinking he was doing the higher paper and turned out he'd been entered in for foundation without the teacher telling him ... He was obviously quite surpised at this but the teacher basically said something on the lines of I entered you for that paper so it would be easier to get a B overall .... He's glad he didn't complain cause if I were in his situation I would've deffo made a fuss !

Jesus Christ I would've killed a man. Aren't they supposed to tell you when they do that?
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Omg I wish I could have seen the look on the heads face! :biggrin:

Aha, I actually was hoping to bump into her however I just got my results and left.
As much as I wanted that sanctification of seeing her wrong, my results were for me and no one else. Didnt do it to prove her wrong :h:

I have no idea if she knows till this day (its been 3 years)
Original post by fefssdf
I'm pretty sure your college is breaking the rules in contacting students who do well the day before results day given universities aren't even allowed to discuss grades until you've been to school on results day to pick them up ; this seems quite unfair if students from your college knew they'd got in to uni a day before everyone else :/

But well done on your results ; that's really great that you just ignored your stupid head and proved everyone wrong :biggrin:

I think a few sixth forms do it. I thought it was a common thing, it was for students who got AAA or higher so they could have their photo with their grades for the next college prospectus.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Jesus Christ I would've killed a man. Aren't they supposed to tell you when they do that?

Yh I'm pretty sure they are as everyone else was doing the higher paper so obviously he thought he was doing it as well and so had wasted time revising content which wasn't gonna be in the exam but luckily he didn't care too much

Quick Reply