The Student Room Group

Drastic back-up plan??

If I don't get into my firm choice Uni (in uk) I am considering taking the year out, working reallly hard on the SATs and applying to some top US universities i.e. UC Berkeley.

If my SAT scores are strong would I stand a chance of getting into a top uni, given that my A-levels might not be incredible i.e. AAC and my GCSEs are a bit mixed A*-C.

Secondly, is it worth all the effort, time, money given that I may get rejected?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Original post by computationchive
Durastic

Any thoughts would be appreciated

First thought is, ask your spell-check for a refund
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
First thought is, ask your spell-check for a refund

Hahaha yes, you're not wrong!

I've got 30 days no questions asked, right? :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
If I don't get into my firm choice Uni (in uk) I am considering taking the year out, working reallly hard on the SATs and applying to some top US universities i.e. UC Berkeley.
If my SAT scores are strong would I stand a chance of getting into a top uni, given that my A-levels might not be incredible i.e. AAC and my GCSEs are a bit mixed A*-C.
I'm not an expert here, but I know SATs carry a lot of weight, so if you really give them a go you might stand a strong chance.

Secondly, is it worth all the effort, time, money given that I may get rejected

Yes, it is worth all the effort, if only for the however slight possibility that you may get accepted. Outside of the Ivy League I think Berkeley would be the top choice for a US Uni.
But do sufficient research on all this first.
Good luck with everything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
I'm not an expert here, but I know SATs carry a lot of weight, so if you really give them a go you might stand a strong chance.
Yes, it is worth all the effort, if only for the however slight possibility that you may get accepted. Outside of the Ivy League I think Berkeley would be the top choice for a US Uni.
But do sufficient research on all this first.
Good luck with everything.

Some good points raised! thanks :smile:
Chances are, if you don't have AAA at the A level, Berkeley will be tough to get into.

For your gap year, get some volunteer work done, more so if it is in a leadership role. It will help with applications.
Original post by zombiejon
Chances are, if you don't have AAA at the A level, Berkeley will be tough to get into.

For your gap year, get some volunteer work done, more so if it is in a leadership role. It will help with applications.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:
SATs are more of an equivalent to GCSE if anything, so don't pin everything on that. They'll still look at your A levels, along with taking very strong consideration of your teacher reports from school and looking at extra curriculars, essay most likely (not too sure about Berkeley specifically) and other factors.

But as I say, A levels are still important and Berekley isn't a piece of cake to get into, it's not somewhere which would best be described as a 'backup plan'!**
Original post by Wahrheit
SATs are more of an equivalent to GCSE if anything, so don't pin everything on that. They'll still look at your A levels, along with taking very strong consideration of your teacher reports from school and looking at extra curriculars, essay most likely (not too sure about Berkeley specifically) and other factors.

But as I say, A levels are still important and Berekley isn't a piece of cake to get into, it's not somewhere which would best be described as a 'backup plan'!**

Yes, you make some good points!
The SAT is an aptitude test, a cross between the TSA and GSCE maths and English. US students don't get accepted mainly on the SAT. US schools will look mainly at your UK tests, but the AS and GSCE are more important to them than to British schools. If you just got the one C and the rest of your record is really good all along, that might be less important to US schools. However, it seems unlikely you will do better applying to them.
Doubt you'll get in with AAC

But you can try if you want

Quick Reply

Latest