The Student Room Group

Russia could invade Poland 'overnight', report claims

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supersaps
Russia are actively destabilising the Middle East as well as being happy to invade into Europe. If anyone thinks they're a force for good in the world, they must be mental.

I am no supporter of Putin or Russian aggression, but it's laughable to say they are destabilising the Middle East.

Let's not forget David Cameron was also more than willing to support fundamentalist islamist groups to oust the Syrian government.
Good. They should.
If you're angry about the refugee crisis, why blame Russia and not NATO and it's members who destabilise the Middle East for Greater Israhell?
Original post by Bernie Judas
If you're angry about the refugee crisis, why blame Russia and not NATO and it's members who destabilise the Middle East for Greater Israhell?

I favour sealing that part of the world off no migration outside of it and let them fight among themselves without outside influence.

It costs us lots of money, trouble, hasn't solved anything and no one thanks us for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Napp
Mmm not as such, if you think a determined Russia couldn't role over europe like a tidal wave you should check some figures [One isn't talking about its ability to hold it persay]
Russia - Troops 845,000 [reserve 2,485,000], Land systems Tanks[21000]/IFVs[25,000]/APCs[8700]/AIFV[19000]/Artillary[14700]/MLRS[2600]/AA-guns/Missiles[14000], Navy [61 combat subs, 71 combat ships,98 combat aircraft, 84 combat helicopters ], Airforce [490 attack helicopters, Attack Jets 539, Heavy Bombers 125, Fighters 708, Multi-role 38]
You think the small armies in Europe could do particularly much to stop it? they are all significantly smaller, take far longer to mobilize and as far as being coherrant goes there are multiple armies under different command structures. How do you think that would play out?
I was reffering primarily to the eastern states, my bad on that one sorry. however I find it more than slightly dubious western Europe would hold out for long.
Lt-Gen Ben Hodges

You think Russia is going to be able to ready 800,000 troops on it's western border without NATO knowing? You seriously believe they can blitzkrieg 1,200 miles across Europe overnight? You think they can afford to field that large of an army? Especially once the West ramps up financial sanctions and cuts off all forms of credit to the Russian economy.
This isn't a video game, and Russia isn't the Soviet Union.
100% guaranteed, they'd get bogged down in Poland within a few days, which is all it would take before NATO reinforcements arrive. OBUA alone would take weeks if not months, so either Russia is taking it's time or it's stretching it's forces and leaving it's supply chain vulnerable and open.
You vastly overestimate Russia, and vastly underestimate the major NATO players.
And what Lt General Hodges said is that NATO is currently not mobilised in a position to be able to protect the Baltic from a concerted, concentrated surprise Russian invasion. There's a huge leap to go from that, to Russia rolling through the Baltic, Poland, Germany and France against the combined efforts of the entire NATO alliance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending