The Student Room Group

Article: Freshers: here’s how to spend less during your first year of uni

Moving away from home can be a big and expensive life change. But don't fear! TSR has compiled 11 money-saving tips for freshers here:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=17335-Freshers-here’s-how-to-spend-less-during-your-first-year-of-uni
Share your own hints in the comments.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just to emphasise 11: Spent one semester at Tesco, the second half of the second semester at Aldi. I cried about how much money I wasted in half a year. Clubcard points are near worthless if there is an Aldi/LIDL nearby.
Create a food timetable. That way you can create a list and stick to it and not waste as much food and save money because you'll be buying just the necessities.

Buy food and veg from the market as it is cheaper.

Just drink water during the day (no fizzy drinks). I found that it saved sooo much as well as helped me to stay healthy.
Reply 3
Using Iplayer without a TV licence is illegal now just a heads up
Reply 4
i saved by selling stuff and buying preloved on carousell lol. didn't have time to work part time so this was the fastest way to earn cash for me
Reply 5
Point 7: If you're printing more than 1000 pages in a year, then I reckon you're doing it wrong for most courses. If you have six essays a year at 30 pages each and you print them twice (a draft for checks then final version), that only amounts to 360 pages. Many unis have electronic hand-in these days, so you might find that halves it.

The amount you might save will depend on how much your uni charges, so do the maths for your uni before buying a printer. My current uni charges 3p a sheet for black & white printing so even 1000 pages a year would only cost £30. And producing that amount on your own printer would certainly mean buying new ink at some point, which is where the major expense of your printer will bite.

Plus a printer needs to be transported home at the end of the year which adds to the chore. The last time I tried moving an inkjet, it leaked coloured ink all over the car boot and never worked again because I couldn't clean the ink out if the internals thoroughly enough.
Reply 6
And yes, from this September you will need a TV licence to watch BBC on demand, on catch-up or download.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
Point 7: If you're printing more than 1000 pages in a year, then I reckon you're doing it wrong for most courses. If you have six essays a year at 30 pages each and you print them twice (a draft for checks then final version), that only amounts to 360 pages. Many unis have electronic hand-in these days, so you might find that halves it.

The amount you might save will depend on how much your uni charges, so do the maths for your uni before buying a printer. My current uni charges 3p a sheet for black & white printing so even 1000 pages a year would only cost £30. And producing that amount on your own printer would certainly mean buying new ink at some point, which is where the major expense of your printer will bite.

Plus a printer needs to be transported home at the end of the year which adds to the chore. The last time I tried moving an inkjet, it leaked coloured ink all over the car boot and never worked again because I couldn't clean the ink out if the internals thoroughly enough.

This is because you are doing things wrong.

Mono laser printers are as cheap as £40. As they do not use ink they do not dry out. Therefore you need a lot less toner as they do not automatically get used up.

I would get a printer as a backup as I imagine some days getting access to a printer may be more difficult, ergo, £40 is a very good investment for your money.
Reply 8
Original post by TrojanH
This is because you are doing things wrong.

Mono laser printers are as cheap as £40. As they do not use ink they do not dry out. Therefore you need a lot less toner as they do not automatically get used up.

I would get a printer as a backup as I imagine some days getting access to a printer may be more difficult, ergo, £40 is a very good investment for your money.

At 3p a sheet, I'd have had to print 1333 pages before I started saving money. It certainly wouldn't have been an economical option where I was an undergrad, and even less so now as they have electronic hand-in and assignments no longer need to be printed. Makes sense to check print costs at uni and do some maths before investing.

Access to a printer was never difficult. There were several in my department and dozens which were open access throughout the campus. If the nearest was busy or broken, you just go to the next one. And now that hand-in is electronic, there are rarely times at which large numbers of people are all trying to use the same departmental printers anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
At 3p a sheet, I'd have had to print 1333 pages before I started saving money. It certainly wouldn't have been an economical option where I was an undergrad, and even less so now as they have electronic hand-in and assignments no longer need to be printed. Makes sense to check print costs at uni and do some maths before investing.

Access to a printer was never difficult. There were several in my department and dozens which were open access throughout the campus. If the nearest was busy or broken, you just go to the next one. And now that hand-in is electronic, there are rarely times at which large numbers of people are all trying to use the same departmental printers anyway.

If you were strapped for cash - yes, that argument can be made.

If you wanted ease of use, speed and reliability to print. I'd always get my own.
How much does everyone think is needed for freshers week? I'm trying to decide whether I can afford to go to Leeds fest or not
Original post by CSLady
Using Iplayer without a TV licence is illegal now just a heads up

Only if you watch live, isn't it?
Reply 12
Original post by Mactotaur
Only if you watch live, isn't it?

It"s being changed to included downloading and on demand as well:
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence?&WT.mc_id=rdir_tvlcouk-lawchange

That's new. Thankfully it only applies to iPlayer.
Reply 14
Original post by TomatoLounge
Moving away from home can be a big and expensive life change. But don't fear! TSR has compiled 11 money-saving tips for freshers here:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=17335-Freshers-here’s-how-to-spend-less-during-your-first-year-of-uni
Share your own hints in the comments.

Don’t buy a TV licence
You can watch on-demand TV platforms like BBC iPlayer without having to pay for a TV licence. Remember that TV licences are 'per household' so if you're in a shared house and one person is watching live TV then you will need a license for the house.

They aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending