The Student Room Group

Bad AS Grades, how much it will impact my chances??

With results day inbound soon, I really think I've screwed my AS grades. Below are the subjects I'm doing and my potential university choices. Am I thinking out of my league??

Maths-A
Further Maths-C/D-ill for one exam-also FP1 on OCR MEI
Physics-B
History-D

Warwick
Bath
St Andrews
Lancaster
Nottingham/Manchester

I'm definitely dropping History, leaving me with Maths,Physics and Further Maths. My physics is a new style A-level how will that affect me?
Further Maths I intend to retake the AS and continue to A2. Warwick is the dream not to do Maths but MORSE where the offer is slightly lower. How much impact will personal statement make?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Niz2206
With results day inbound soon, I really think I've screwed my AS grades. Below are the subjects I'm doing and my potential university choices. Am I thinking out of my league??

Maths-A
Physics-B
History-D

Warwick
Bath
St Andrews
Lancaster
Nottingham/Manchester

I'm definitely dropping History, leaving me with Maths,Physics and Further Maths. My physics is a new style A-level how will that affect me?
Further Maths I intend to retake the AS and continue to A2. Warwick is the dream not to do Maths but MORSE where the offer is slightly lower. How much impact will personal statement make?

For Maths the PS is not very important.

Your ASs will guide your A-level predictions and, for Maths, directly impact your A2 results, but it's still quite possible you'll get offers though. They do tend to over-offer (not so much St Andrews though). Your challenge, realistically, will be achieving it. :wink:
Reply 2
Aim to get predicted a grade higher for A2 on the lower grades, and you should have a shot :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
For Maths the PS is not very important.

Your ASs will guide your A-level predictions and, for Maths, directly impact your A2 results, but it's still quite possible you'll get offers though. They do tend to over-offer (not so much St Andrews though). Your challenge, realistically, will be achieving it. :wink:

Yeah I reckon if I get an A in maths this year I can hopefully go on and try get an A* who knows?? ahaha. Also this over offer could you explain?
Reply 4
Original post by Ezme39
Aim to get predicted a grade higher for A2 on the lower grades, and you should have a shot :smile:
Thanks for that, is now the time to work ahead to get higher predicted a2 grades. I feel like I've got quite a mountain climb considering I'm not the hardest worker ahaha.
Reply 5
Original post by Niz2206
Yeah I reckon if I get an A in maths this year I can hopefully go on and try get an A* who knows?? ahaha. Also this over offer could you explain?

Universities give offers to many more applicants than they have places. e.g. Bath offer to >90% of Maths applicants. Warwick is similar.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I think you'll be fine, I got 3 offers for ABB with BCD at AS :biggrin:
Quick question: Can teachers talk **** about you in a reference in ucas?
Reply 8
Original post by chigs_nigs
Quick question: Can teachers talk **** about you in a reference in ucas?

You would be better starting your own thread to ask this; but short answer is they can't say things that are untrue.
You should be okay. I'll be honest. My mate got into MORSE with AAAC at AS. Thats the kinda league you are entering. I got BBBC at AS and got an AAB offer from Warwick. And an AAA offer from Durham. Speak to your teachers. Make sure you can get predicted whatever you need. Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by nobodycarescarla
You should be okay. I'll be honest. My mate got into MORSE with AAAC at AS. Thats the kinda league you are entering. I got BBBC at AS and got an AAB offer from Warwick. And an AAA offer from Durham. Speak to your teachers. Make sure you can get predicted whatever you need. Good luck!

Ah thanks relives the pressure!! What was your offer for??
Reply 11
Original post by goam

What for??
Reply 12
Original post by Niz2206
What for??

Biological sciences
Reply 13
Original post by goam
Biological sciences

Where?
Reply 14
Original post by Niz2206
Where?

Surrey, Leicester, and Reading:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by goam

From which unis? and what course
Reply 16
Original post by dmy15
From which unis? and what course

look above
Original post by Niz2206
Ah thanks relives the pressure!! What was your offer for??

Biological sciences with intergrated masters :P
Reply 18
Original post by Niz2206

Maths-A
Physics-B
History-D

Warwick
Bath
St Andrews
Lancaster
Nottingham/Manchester

In the exact same situation. Warwick MORSE is the dream course but I messed up. I'm pretty much aiming to do a gap year since I doubt I'll get an offer to a course I would enjoy. Just got to be different this year and work hard from the first day I guess.
Reply 19
Original post by AAls
In the exact same situation. Warwick MORSE is the dream course but I messed up. I'm pretty much aiming to do a gap year since I doubt I'll get an offer to a course I would enjoy. Just got to be different this year and work hard from the first day I guess.

Did you get your AS's today then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending