The Student Room Group

Are workshops appealing to Oxford and other high tier universities?

I'm enquring whether on not I should cut my summer holiday short (I've excluded myself from family holidays before in the past in the name of school...) in order to participate in this workshop that is' quote on quote, 'summer training sessions for those aspiring to do a science degree'. These activities include things like micropipette training and gel extraction of DNA to name a few.

Is this worth doing or should I just stick to work experience and other 'stuff'? To summarise, do high tier unis like workshops and would it make me look more appealing?

I would truly appreciate a response.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dysphoric
I'm enquring whether on not I should cut my summer holiday short (I've excluded myself from family holidays before in the past in the name of school...) in order to participate in this workshop that is' quote on quote, 'summer training sessions for those aspiring to do a science degree'. These activities include things like micropipette training and gel extraction of DNA to name a few.

Is this worth doing or should I just stick to work experience and other 'stuff'? To summarise, do high tier unis like workshops and would it make me look more appealing?

To be perfectly honest the most important things by far are (i) your interview performance (ii) your performance in admissions tests and (iii) your AS grades. Obviously it's also important to show that you're interested in the subject and taking part in stuff like this is a way of demonstrating it, however, so is stuff like reading around the subject and they're not really supposed to give you an advantage simply having gone to an event like this which, I'm assuming, is probably fairly expensive. So if you think it looks interesting and you'd rather do it than go on a family holiday then go ahead, but if the main reason is to boost your Oxford application then I'd advise against it because there are plenty of other equally as useful things that you could be doing, e.g. reading.
Reply 2

Hi!
I was in the same position as you were at the begging of the year. I had toc hoose between summer holidays and my devotion to sciences. I applied to a bunch of summer school and I got in. I chose summer schools and reading insteadof holidays because I wanted to…. It was not meant to boost my Oxford application. I did it for my sake. I knew that I had a decent amount of knowledge in the theoretical part of the course (If you were to interview me now*biology*, I would be prepared 100%) but I definitely knew that I had a lack of advanced practical work. So I decided to go to these summer international schools and I had a bunch of fun. Now I am able to do the PCR, Gel Electrophoresis, the whole DNA sequencing including DNA extraction, confocal microscopy and I started annotating some genes by using bioinformatics (Python).Yes, I am really tired but I am satisfied because sciences mean everything to me and these summer schools were just an excuse to miss my family holidays (ya I know I am weird). If you were to wake me up in the middle of the night to study biology I would be so happy (ok I am getting to weird now, srry)
I will definitely mention this in my PS and I know that it will not drastically boost my application but I am gonna write about it since this was an unforgettable experience and it made me understand and think about science in a totally new way.
As I can see, you prefer holidays rather than workshops. Definitely go to holidays!
When and to which course are you applying?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BioOx
Hi!
I was in the same position as you were at the begging of the year. I had toc hoose between summer holidays and my devotion to sciences. I applied to a bunch of summer school and I got in. I chose summer schools and reading insteadof holidays because I wanted to…. It was not meant to boost my Oxford application. I did it for my sake. I knew that I had a decent amount of knowledge in the theoretical part of the course (If you were to interview me now*biology*, I would be prepared 100%) but I definitely knew that I had a lack of advanced practical work. So I decided to go to these summer international schools and I had a bunch of fun. Now I am able to do the PCR, Gel Electrophoresis, the whole DNA sequencing including DNA extraction, confocal microscopy and I started annotating some genes by using bioinformatics (Python).Yes, I am really tired but I am satisfied because sciences mean everything to me and these summer schools were just an excuse to miss my family holidays (ya I know I am weird). If you were to wake me up in the middle of the night to study biology I would be so happy (ok I am getting to weird now, srry)
I will definitely mention this in my PS and I know that it will not drastically boost my application but I am gonna write about it since this was an unforgettable experience and it made me understand and think about science in a totally new way.
As I can see, you prefer holidays rather than workshops. Definitely go to holidays!
When and to which course are you applying?

Haha being weird is good.Its a bit more complicated than that. I would have to book a flight all the way back, and make my way to a city Ive never been to before to meet people I dont know. This would cost a lot, especially when the holiday itself was especially pricey this year. I did 20+ hours a week consistently for like 10 months across the past year (so I could do an interview right now too) so now I just need a break... After all Oxford use the slogan 'Work hard, play hard' (playing hard = resting in my case :biggrin:). Ive got some work experience I can do in the future so that should make up for it, but of course dealing with DNA sounds like a lot of fun :redface:. I intend to do either Biology/Biological sciences or Biochemistry, and then eventually get into genetics.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
To be perfectly honest the most important things by far are (i) your interview performance (ii) your performance in admissions tests and (iii) your AS grades. Obviously it's also important to show that you're interested in the subject and taking part in stuff like this is a way of demonstrating it, however, so is stuff like reading around the subject and they're not really supposed to give you an advantage simply having gone to an event like this which, I'm assuming, is probably fairly expensive. So if you think it looks interesting and you'd rather do it than go on a family holiday then go ahead, but if the main reason is to boost your Oxford application then I'd advise against it because there are plenty of other equally as useful things that you could be doing, e.g. reading.

Thanks for the prompt response. This may sound like a silly question, but would it depend on A2 grades only or both A2 and AS grades if you decide to take a gap year? Ive read on a few threads that gap years are fine and many people have actually had successful applications IF the gap year is used wisely. What's your take on it?
Reply 5
I have never seen school as an obligation, when I am in the lab it is like being in the playground! :biggrin: Consequently, I am playing hard all the time!

You are applying at oxford this year or in the next one!

How were your GCSEs and AS? If I may ask
Reply 6
I'd like to think I'd feel the same but I usually have loads of things going in my personal life which makes everything really stressful. But that doesn't really matter right now :colondollar:

I only got A's unfortunately, being dangerously close to A*'s in many subjects :L Remarking costs a lot so I didnt want to ask my mum. "The cost of FREE education" fits here nicely. However Im sure my AS' went fairly well
Thanks for the prompt response. This may sound like a silly question, but would it depend on A2 grades only or both A2 and AS grades if you decide to take a gap year? Ive read on a few threads that gap years are fine and many people have actually had successful applications IF the gap year is used wisely. What's your take on it?

They'd be more interested in your A2 grades if you take a gap year. And yeah, taking a gap year is generally fine (the main exception being Maths). I know several people who took a gap year.
Reply 8
Not too shabby my friend! :biggrin:

I am the total opposite! Got an equivalent of 12 A* on my GCSEs and now I am struggling to get a 7 in Chemistry (for my predicted grade)

Are you going to make an open application? Or you already know the college?

GL with your application!
Reply 9
Posted from TSR Mobile

Does a 7 = B grade? That's strange, I thought only GCSE's had number grades.

Yeah it's strange that. People who fly through GCSE usually struggle during AS levels. It's probably because they're used to everything coming to them easily lol. I should be fine though. Oxford understand that many applicants only 'bloom' during A levels (meaning they didn't get straight A*'s at GCSE) and people who did breeze through GCSE and even A levels still get rejected often hehe. It doesn't matter either way; there's a very small chance of getting in but I'll still give it a shot after my gap year (if I decide to do so) because my teachers have favourites = no A* predictions for me even if I get straight A's at AS. I quite like their application process though. They actually treat you like people and judge you on who you are as an individual (with their own methods = little bias) along with your grades instead of viewing you as numbers on a spreadsheet. Otherwise all straight A students would be there.

Yeah probably an open application. Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
I am doinf IB. A 7 is equal to A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending