The Student Room Group

LSE or KCL for my master's

I have been accepted at LSE for the MSc in History of International Relations, and at KCL for the International Political Economy MA. I would like to stuy part-time so that I can do internships and find out what industry I really want to work in, e.g. real estate, venture capital , poltical consutancies/think tanks, media...
Now I am aware of the fact that LSE has a better reputation with employers, but I'm worried that the MSc they offer is too focussed on politics (in case I end up going into finance or so). Also, I have heard that the students at LSE are very antisocial. What do you think I should do?
Another more general problem is that it will be difficult to find accomodation as a part-time student. I prefer to live in halls because I like a community environment, but I guess that won't be possible. Does anyone know of some kind of accomodation in central London that targets interns or so and does not require a full-time student status?
Personally, I would go to Kings. But I think your expectations and ambitions aren't matching your actions.

And yeh - LSE students aren't exactly a barrel of monkeys in the fun department.
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
Personally, I would go to Kings. But I think your expectations and ambitions aren't matching your actions.

And yeh - LSE students aren't exactly a barrel of monkeys in the fun department.

Thanks for your answer!

So if I went to King's, my ambitions and expectations would match my actions?

Right now, I'm slightly annoyed with King's because the have gone a long way to argue that I should be classified as an overseas student and pay twice the money. I have told them that I'm a EU citizen and that I have lived in the UK for the last eight years, but they're still struggling to take back their decision. My deadline for accepting the KCL offer ran out yesterday. They said they will porbably decide within the next week or so, but it could be that by then, my place is gone.

The deadline for LSE is this Sunday. I will call KCL tomorrow and see if they can make a decision before Sunday. If they refuse to make a decision then, I won't have a choice anyways and I will go to LSE. The same goes if KCL refuses to accept that I am a home student. I am not willing to pay so much more for KCL.

But yes, generally, I really like KCL and I would like to go there if I could.
Original post by Nilsbenjamin
Thanks for your answer!

So if I went to King's, my ambitions and expectations would match my actions?

Right now, I'm slightly annoyed with King's because the have gone a long way to argue that I should be classified as an overseas student and pay twice the money. I have told them that I'm a EU citizen and that I have lived in the UK for the last eight years, but they're still struggling to take back their decision. My deadline for accepting the KCL offer ran out yesterday. They said they will porbably decide within the next week or so, but it could be that by then, my place is gone.

The deadline for LSE is this Sunday. I will call KCL tomorrow and see if they can make a decision before Sunday. If they refuse to make a decision then, I won't have a choice anyways and I will go to LSE. The same goes if KCL refuses to accept that I am a home student. I am not willing to pay so much more for KCL.

But yes, generally, I really like KCL and I would like to go there if I could.

What I'm getting at is that you aren't really decided on what you want to do career wise; you're worrying about course content with regard to working in finance - but the masters you're looking at look like they're narrowing you toward civil service or third sector type stuff

Quick Reply

Latest