The Student Room Group

LLM then GDL

First of all I've done my BA and LLB from Pakistan.
So I applied for a Certificate of Academic Standing from the Bar Standards Board but unfortunately it got rejected because I don't have a QLD,
My question was that if I go to the U.K and do my LLM from there would that be a good route to get an admission in the GDL and then do my BPTC.

Your help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by ashhadazhar
First of all I've done my BA and LLB from Pakistan.
So I applied for a Certificate of Academic Standing from the Bar Standards Board but unfortunately it got rejected because I don't have a QLD,
My question was that if I go to the U.K and do my LLM from there would that be a good route to get an admission in the GDL and then do my BPTC.

Your help would be appreciated.

Just so you know you don't need to do an LLM. You can go straight into the GDL and then BPTC.
Reply 2
The problem is that my certificate of academic standing was rejected because my degree did not ful fill their specifications
The problem is that my certificate of academic standing was rejected because my degree did not ful fill their specifications

You need a degree to do the GDL?

Dpeak to the BSB and take their guidance.
Not sure an LLM would do it, but an LLB senior degree- 2 year would. That would then let you skip the GDL. I think Lancaster run such a degree. Think they may also do distance learning.
Reply 4

As far as I know you don't need a certificate of academic standing from the BSB for the GDL. You can do the GDL with a non-QLD which is the whole point because the GDL then entitles you to take the BPTC. LLM doesn't come into it.
Reply 5
Your BA should be fine to get you onto a GDL as long as it is a bachelors degree.Your LLB should be fine to get you on to a GDL, I understand you haven't passed all the 7 core modules that would give you a qualifying law degree , or you have had more then 3 attempts at any core module. I would ask the institution you wish to study or GDL at if either your BA or LLB is fine to do the GDL.I know someone who did the London external LLB in Pakistan and then did his LPC at Nottingham Law School. He is now a qualified solicitor in immigration having just finished his training contract .
Reply 6
Its a requirement from the universities to have a certificate of academic standing for them to send mean offer letter/cas letter for my visa
Reply 7
Original post by Sam601
Your BA should be fine to get you onto a GDL as long as it is a bachelors degree.Your LLB should be fine to get you on to a GDL, I understand you haven't passed all the 7 core modules that would give you a qualifying law degree , or you have had more then 3 attempts at any core module. I would ask the institution you wish to study or GDL at if either your BA or LLB is fine to do the GDL.I know someone who did the London external LLB in Pakistan and then did his LPC at Nottingham Law School. He is now a qualified solicitor in immigration having just finished his training contract .

I havent done the London external llb in pakistan. Ive done the pakistani boards llb.
The rejection letter stated that we take your BA as gce even though ive already done my gce
Reply 8
Your BA on its own should be a degree. In England a BA unless I'm mistaken is a bachelor's of Arts degree.
The person I was telling you about did A Levels in Karachi and then did the London external LLB in Karachi at some private tuition place
I havent done the London external llb in pakistan. Ive done the pakistani boards llb.
The rejection letter stated that we take your BA as gce even though ive already done my gce

So according to them they dont regard your LLB as being sufficient.

Maybe you cna persuade a university to accept it as sufficient to get on a GDL course run by them.

COL requirements are
http://www.law.ac.uk/postgraduate/postgraduate-entry-requirements/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending