The Student Room Group

What jobs have you earning 35000 pounds per annum?

According to UK government policies, non eu peeps have to earn that in order to stay. What jobs offer these kind of salaries?

Keep in mind this is for someone with a year or two or none experience, graduating from uni (ug/masters).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A lot of the good ones pay that.
Banking, accounting, some tech firms, trading, consulting at a good firm, some engineering firms, medicine, dentistry

After more than five years, a lot of jobs pay this. After ten years, pretty much all grad jobs pay at least £40000
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 25kgcurls
Banking, accounting, some tech firms, trading, consulting at a good firm, some engineering firms, medicine, dentistry

After more than five years, a lot of jobs pay this. After ten years, pretty much all grad jobs pay at least £40000

Basically IB and consultancy?

What tech firms pay these sort of salary? Besides Google.
Original post by mrahim
According to UK government policies, non eu peeps have to earn that in order to stay. What jobs offer these kind of salaries?

Keep in mind this is for someone with a year or two or none experience, graduating from uni (ug/masters).

Thats pathetic.
Reply 4
Original post by ckfeister
Thats pathetic.

What is?
Reply 5
Original post by mrahim
Basically IB and consultancy?

What tech firms pay these sort of salary? Besides Google.

Facebook, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Cisco, Twitter, snpachat, some of the quant hedge funds, some of the start ups pay a good bonus as well
Original post by mrahim
What is?

35k salary, when the average is only 21k and UK has had biggest wage drop from recession 2nd to Greece.
Reply 7
Thats pathetic.

It's not that bad. A high salary is given to someone if their skills are in high demand. We want immigrants who are highly skilled to stay here so this is a good idea. However, I believe that some jobs- namely teaching, certain medical jobs and nursing- should be given exceptions since their salaries aren't strictly determined by demand and supply but by what the government thinks they deserve.
Reply 8
It's not that bad. A high salary is given to someone if their skills are in high demand. We want immigrants who are highly skilled to stay here so this is a good idea. However, I believe that some jobs- namely teaching, certain medical jobs and nursing- should be given exceptions since their salaries aren't strictly determined by demand and supply but by what the government thinks they deserve.

^This
Price is determined by demand and supply. If someone's skills are in demand, they will be paid more. We want high skilled immigrants so this is a good idea. We don't need low skilled immigrants.
High school teacher.

Teachers are a shortage, they start at £22k
Reply 11
not a debate on immigration...
Teachers are a shortage, they start at £22k

That's because they work in the public sector so the price paid isn't the true value of the teacher since the government gets to pay them.
Original post by Trapz99
That's because they work in the public sector so the price paid isn't the true value of the teacher since the government gets to pay them.

Still, we got teachers shortage.
Still, we got teachers shortage.

Ok

Certain areas with skills shortages are exempt from the salary limit.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

Law firms too. I know someone who's a solicitor and earning £35k.
Original post by Trapz99
Ok

Sooo 32k requirement is stupid.

This is the issue, another area I can think of is research. Pretty absurd that the minimum wage is that high.
Sooo 32k requirement is stupid.

I think they should just make an exception for public sector jobs that are in high demand. But the aim of the law is to reduce immigration and a lot of immigrants earn less than £35000.

Quick Reply