The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pilock
Why does it have to be cooked?

If humans are meant to eat meat- then why can they survive without eating meat and still be healthy?

Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you are meant to do it. Just because you were born into a society were something is the norm- it doesn't mean it was meant to be that way. Just because something has been happening for thousands of years it doesn't mean it has to continue happening. All these arguments that are made for meat is weak.

In the same way we choose to cook vegetables too.

It's safer (heat kills the bugs) and tastier.

You can have raw beef (e.g. steak tartare) or sushi or dried hams or whatever. But we generally don't.
Reply 41
Original post by pilock
But we don't HAVE to. So the claim humans are MEANT to eat meat is falsed.

So what? We do it because we want to. Who cares if we aren't meant to do it? Millions of people don't actually give a ****
Original post by pilock
Just because one lion did it, it doesn't mean every animal does it. . Humans get sick by eating raw meat- that is a fact.

I've never got sick from raw meat. Even off food I have a good tolerance for.

Whereas my cats and the foxes rather frequently vomit from raw meat, dodgy food and mice, much to my displeasure.

All animals get sick from raw meat, at times. That is fact.
It's not the meat itself, it's the bacteria levels, and animal's tolerances to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pilock
I am questioning why we should eat meat when we don't have to and can live without it. If you want to create a thread asking why we drive when we dont need to then by all means go make one.

You argued about eating meat being a norm in society, and I listed other things that are also norms. Yes a human can survive without meat, like we can without driving or using the Internet but we choose to. Your logic would be agianst you using TSR so why are you here?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by TelAviv
You're missing my point

Humans used to be able to eat lots of raw meat. This disproves the idea that we aren't "meant" to eat meat, because we've previously been able to do it just like any other carnivorous animal.

If humans had never started cooking meat and didn't eat such a range of other foods, we'd still be able to eat raw meat without issue

I have never said humans weren't meant to eat meat. I am arguing that the claim that humans are MEANT to eat meat is wrong. Humans dont need to eat meat.
Original post by pilock
Generallt speaking? the vast majority of people would get ill form eating raw meat and this is a fact.

Grrr :angry:

It's really not, there is a somewhat increased risk, but not to the degree it would put me off
Original post by pilock
Generallt speaking? the vast majority of people would get ill form eating raw meat and this is a fact.

You're stating a "fact" that you've clearly not researched. People eat raw meat around the world, they're not getting sick. The Italians eat raw beef fairly regularly, for example, I've seen it with my own eyes and even ate some myself at one point. It just has to be as fresh as possible. The reason we cook it is because the longer that dead meat has been around, it's been exposed to bacteria. Cooking kills that bacteria. If you literally went and killed a cow and ate it that same day, similar to how our ancestors would do, then you wouldn't suffer any ill effect.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by M14B
Humans are not meant to eat meat

then why does it taste so ogoooooooooooooooooooood

Reply 48
Original post by Jack22031994
You argued about eating meat being a norm in society, and I listed other things that are also norms. Yes a human can survive without meat, like we can without driving or using the Internet but we choose to. Your logic would be agianst you using TSR so why are you here?

Yes but nobody says everyone is MEANT to use tsr. However, people claim that humans are MEANT to eat meat which is simply false.
Reply 49
So, I think human can eat raw meat. If youre mature, fit and well the risks are low. As usual humans have found some better ways and cooked meat is easier and more enjoyable. But I agree I'm not sure it's the best idea.
Reply 50
Original post by UWS
So what? We do it because we want to. Who cares if we aren't meant to do it? Millions of people don't actually give a ****

The point was that the argument humans are MEANT to eat meat is wrong. And that is a fact.
Original post by pilock
Yes but nobody says everyone is MEANT to use tsr. However, people claim that humans are MEANT to eat meat which is simply false.

If we weren't meant to eat meat, the first humans and our ancestors wouldn't of eaten meat but they did, so we are. It doesn't matter if we can survive without it.

Question: do you eat everything raw? If not it will floccinaucinihilipilificate your argument.

The problem you're having is you're coming across as a militant vegan who hates people who eat meat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by WoodyMKC
You're stating a "fact" that you've clearly not researched. People eat raw meat around the world, they're not getting sick. The Italians eat raw beef fairly regularly, for example, I've seen it with my own eyes and even ate some myself at one point. It just has to be as fresh as possible. The reason we cook it is because the longer that dead meat has been around, it's been exposed to bacteria. Cooking kills that bacteria. If you literally went and killed a cow and ate it that same day, similar to how our ancestors would do, then you wouldn't suffer any ill effect.

No you're wrong. You would get really ill if you did that.
Original post by pilock
No you're wrong. You would get really ill if you did that.

FFS, I can't stand these veggie shills.

I have eaten raw steak many times, there are restaurants which serve raw meat yet people manage to survive, you are making me want to eat a whole ****ing horse to spite you and your dishonest BS.
Reply 54
If we weren't meant to eat meat, the first humans and our ancestors wouldn't of eaten meat but they did, so we are. It doesn't matter if we can survive without it.

What a terrible argument that is. Thats like saying men are meant to rape because cavemen raped whoever they wanted. See how stupid your logic is?

Question: do you eat everything raw? If not it will floccinaucinihilipilificate your argument.

Yes I do

The problem you're having is you're coming across as a militant vegan who hates people who eat meat.

I am just stating facts.

Mmmmhmmmmmmm
Original post by pilock
What a terrible argument that is. Thats like saying men are meant to rape because cavemen raped whoever they wanted. See how stupid your logic is?
Yes I do

I am just stating facts.

Well no of course not, and your weak attempt at reductio ad absurdum wont work. Our society as moved on from that quite rightly but that's a whole different thing than eating meat.

Youre not stating any facts. You can eat many meats raw - it's just cleaner to cook them, like it is vegetables. I'm happy for you to carry on eating raw food, but don't go around dictating to others what they should and shouldn't be doing. It's pathetic.
Original post by pilock
Go **** yourself you piece of crap.

My mouth is watering so much like ommmnomnomnomn

*licks lips seductively*
Original post by pilock
If you claim you take raw meat out of the packet and eat it straight away without getting sick then you're a liar. I don't like liars. Go away liar.

Out of a packet?
I had 3 oysters taken out of a packet, costing 1p last night. Not dead yet.

(otherwise, when I make sashimi / tartare, I use freshest possible from a butchers or fish counter. I'd avoid packets for raw eating due to higher likelihood of bacteria, as I said)
Reply 59
Well no of course not, and your weak attempt at reductio ad absurdum wont work. Our society as moved on from that quite rightly but that's a whole different thing than eating meat.

But you just made the argument that humans were MEANT to eat meat because our ancestors did it. That was what you were basing your argument on. I am sorry but that is the same as saying men are meant to rape because our ancestors did it. It makes no sense it all. You cant have it both ways were you use our ancestors action to justify one thing but say you cant use it to justify something else.

Youre not stating any facts. You can eat many meats raw - it's just cleaner to cook them, like it is vegetables. I'm happy for you to carry on eating raw food, but don't go around dictating to others waft thy should and shouldn't be doing. It's pathetic.

I am stating facts. I said most people get sick from eating it and that is a fact.

Dont go round dictating to animals what they should do- its pathetic.

Latest