The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Off-campus housing

Hey, all,

I'm coming to York next month to study in the undergraduate English Lit program. I'm from the US originally and will not know a single soul in the city of York when I arrive. I'm aware that York offers on-campus accommodations, but I'm not too interested in living in a dorm. At 24, I'm probably a bit older than most first years and would prefer to avoid the dorm lifestyle if I can (I experienced it at 18, and while I found it fun, I don't necessarily care to relive the time).

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or leads on off-campus housing. Initially, I was looking for my own apartment, but now I'm thinking it might be good for me to live in a communal environment of sorts with other students. I stumbled across a Facebook page that was a roommate exchange of sorts, but I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone have the link to that? Or does anyone know of someone(s) else looking for a roommate near the university? Looking to pay up to £900/month and would ideally like a year-long lease.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by idoimbuemyblue
Hey, all,

I'm coming to York next month to study in the undergraduate English Lit program. I'm from the US originally and will not know a single soul in the city of York when I arrive. I'm aware that York offers on-campus accommodations, but I'm not too interested in living in a dorm. At 24, I'm probably a bit older than most first years and would prefer to avoid the dorm lifestyle if I can (I experienced it at 18, and while I found it fun, I don't necessarily care to relive the time).

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or leads on off-campus housing. Initially, I was looking for my own apartment, but now I'm thinking it might be good for me to live in a communal environment of sorts with other students. I stumbled across a Facebook page that was a roommate exchange of sorts, but I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone have the link to that? Or does anyone know of someone(s) else looking for a roommate near the university? Looking to pay up to £900/month and would ideally like a year-long lease.

Thanks!

UK student accommodation is a LOT different to American student accommodation from what I understand. It's shared flats where generally everyone gets a room to themselves. And there are even older student flats.
However the best thing for you to do is call up or e-mail the accommodation team and ask for help finding a place.
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest