The Student Room Group

Oxford GCSEs HELP

Hello guys!
I do apologize for bringing up a topic which may be already covered thoroughly, please don't hate!
Okay, so on the 25th of August I will receive my GCSE results, and if all goes well I am predicted the following grades:
Double Award Science: A*A*
Mathematics: A*
Religion: A*
History: A*
Learning for Life and Work: A
English Language: A
English Literature: A
ICT: A

Would these grades be worthy of an Oxford candidate considering to do Biochemistry? I read that the "average" successful biochemistry student had 6 A* grades.

I feel that some of my GCSE exams were lackluster and in all honesty I fear my predictions will not be reflected in results day.

*I do feel I will perform strongly at AS and A Level as I can get rid of subjects that I don't like *cough* English Religion ICT *cough* and do the best subjects ie Biology Chemistry Maths and History.

Should I consider applying to oxford?
Many thanks
5 A* and 4 As is good, and while oxford place more emphasis on GCSE's you can make up for it with strong AS if your taking them, a solid performance in the admissions tests and a decent PS/Interview. I'd wait for your results to come out first, but remember if the average is 6 A*s then some will have less than this whilst obviously some wlll have more. Just focus on the other parts of your application and make them great.
If you don't apply, you won't get in, definitely apply with those grades, you would definitely be a worthy candidate. You also need to take into account that GCSEs are a small factor in a much bigger picture, they are important, but they will be used with your personal statement, interviews etc. With GCSEs, universities will also take into account how the rest of your school performed, i.e. if you got A high percentage of As and A*s and the rest of the school got a high percentage of C/D/Below, then it would look favourably upon you. Good Luck with your GCSE results, hopefully we will both do well and be accepted into Oxbridge one day!
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies guys,
I did also forget to mention that I attended a Comprehensive all ability school which has no admission test, so perhaps there is hope- I ain't overly sure what the average grade will be, so maybe I'll "outperfrom" them. Many thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Marcus2016
Hello guys!
I do apologize for bringing up a topic which may be already covered thoroughly, please don't hate!
Okay, so on the 25th of August I will receive my GCSE results, and if all goes well I am predicted the following grades:
Double Award Science: A*A*
Mathematics: A*
Religion: A*
History: A*
Learning for Life and Work: A
English Language: A
English Literature: A
ICT: A

Would these grades be worthy of an Oxford candidate considering to do Biochemistry? I read that the "average" successful biochemistry student had 6 A* grades.

I feel that some of my GCSE exams were lackluster and in all honesty I fear my predictions will not be reflected in results day.

*I do feel I will perform strongly at AS and A Level as I can get rid of subjects that I don't like *cough* English Religion ICT *cough* and do the best subjects ie Biology Chemistry Maths and History.

Should I consider applying to oxford?
Many thanks

Hi, Marcus. Even if you're GCSEs results may not be as you've predicted them to be, they shouldn't be too much of a problem as they don't just consider about GCSE results. Do ensure that you do well in A Levels and as you wait for your results, I wish you all the best.
Those predictions look good I hope you get them x

I have been reading about needing good GCSE's for universities. I found out that most universities rarely bother about your GCSE's, it's mainly your A levels. Oxbridge look into them a bit closer than other universities but it is not nessassarily a requirement or essential but it does make you stand out if you have good GCSE's

Don't worry about it to much though, good luck!
They look for a decent majority of A/A* grades, which you have. It mostly depends on your A-Levels now. You may even exceed your expectations, and get better grades than you think! Right now is too early to tell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending