The Student Room Group

Not doing well at university + scared.

I start my second year at university and am really worried about it. I didn't do so well in my first year (failed one class, pass in another) and I just don't know whether to go back or not.

I have real trouble with concentration, memory, motivation, and social skills. I believe this is why I did so badly in my first year. I have a psychotic disorder MH diagnosis and I put these problems down to the huge amount of mind-numbing medications I'm on.

Last time I saw a psychiatrist I was sectioned. This has really put me off seeing psychiatrists ever again. My gf keeps going on that I need to see one otherwise my second year at uni is going to end up the same as first as nothing has changed so I'll still have the same problems. I'm too scared to see one.

I don't know if I shouldn't just quit? I find university extremely stressful and I really have no faith in myself doing well this year. It's a lot of money for something where I probably would have trouble finding a job after.

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I start my second year at university and am really worried about it. I didn't do so well in my first year (failed one class, pass in another) and I just don't know whether to go back or not.

I have real trouble with concentration, memory, motivation, and social skills. I believe this is why I did so badly in my first year. I have a psychotic disorder MH diagnosis and I put these problems down to the huge amount of mind-numbing medications I'm on.

Last time I saw a psychiatrist I was sectioned. This has really put me off seeing psychiatrists ever again. My gf keeps going on that I need to see one otherwise my second year at uni is going to end up the same as first as nothing has changed so I'll still have the same problems. I'm too scared to see one.

I don't know if I shouldn't just quit? I find university extremely stressful and I really have no faith in myself doing well this year. It's a lot of money for something where I probably would have trouble finding a job after.

Any advice?

Is there any way you could take some kind of a break from uni and go back to the same course next year, or january even? Not saying everything will be perfect by then but it gives you a bit of time to focus on your health and try and get things a bit better managed again if that's possible. You could also work on things from the class you failed in that time too to maybe take the pressure off when you go back, remember to let yourself have a rest too though.

I would really recommend finding another psychiatrist ASAP if you can- I know how hard things like that can be but it sounds like you're really struggling and could definitely do with some help. It's not fair on you to have to be struggling like this.

Really hope things improve for you soon :hugs:
Take a gap year maybe, look after yourself and get some help then come back ready and refreshed hopefully. What are you studying?
Reply 3
Sorry, for some reason it didn't show up that people had responded. Thank you both. :smile:

Original post by furryface12
Is there any way you could take some kind of a break from uni and go back to the same course next year, or january even? Not saying everything will be perfect by then but it gives you a bit of time to focus on your health and try and get things a bit better managed again if that's possible. You could also work on things from the class you failed in that time too to maybe take the pressure off when you go back, remember to let yourself have a rest too though.

I would really recommend finding another psychiatrist ASAP if you can- I know how hard things like that can be but it sounds like you're really struggling and could definitely do with some help. It's not fair on you to have to be struggling like this.

Really hope things improve for you soon :hugs:

I am absolutely terrified of finding another psychiatrist. I do not want to be sectioned again and the one I saw previously has completely put me off ever talking to one again. :frown: I know I need to (I need a prescription for starters) but I'm really scared :colondollar:

I was thinking about maybe deferring until January but I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I do so. I haven't told my mum that I failed the class twice, she thinks everything is fine and I don't want to tell her that I'm struggling. As for my girlfriend she just says to try my best, but likewise I don't want to let her down either. She is fully convinced that I can do this (provided I see a psychiatrist) but I know I can't pass that class with how things are. :cry2:

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Take a gap year maybe, look after yourself and get some help then come back ready and refreshed hopefully. What are you studying?

I study nursing. Yeah, I know, ridiculous right? I'm too scared to talk to a doctor myself yet I am trying to get into nursing where people will talk to me. :sigh:
Original post by Anonymous
I am absolutely terrified of finding another psychiatrist. I do not want to be sectioned again and the one I saw previously has completely put me off ever talking to one again. :frown: I know I need to (I need a prescription for starters) but I'm really scared :colondollar:

I was thinking about maybe deferring until January but I feel like I'm letting everyone down if I do so. I haven't told my mum that I failed the class twice, she thinks everything is fine and I don't want to tell her that I'm struggling. As for my girlfriend she just says to try my best, but likewise I don't want to let her down either. She is fully convinced that I can do this (provided I see a psychiatrist) but I know I can't pass that class with how things are. :cry2:

You'll be okay :hugs: being sectioned is horrible and I can completely understand why it would put you off but you need and deserve the help, things will get even worse if you don't see one so I really hope you can.

Deferring until January sounds like a really good idea. Telling people isn't easy but your health is most important and they would far rather have you okay than pushing yourself too hard and maybe still not managing it. Really hope things work out for you either way- can always PM me if you want to talk
I agree on taking a year out. I was in a similar situation but not as bad and I regret not taking a year out.

Quick Reply

Latest