The Student Room Group

Are modern parents/teachers too soft?

People say lots of young people have no manners and you see teachers resigning from schools a lot because there's no discipline. What do you think? Should we bring back the cane or are modern parents spoiling kids?

In b4 "every generation says this"

Scroll to see replies

When parents don't parent their children, teachers can't teach those children, and employers can't employ them when they get older. Seems like a lot of the youth are destined for jail rather than a decent life.
Personally I think parenting is as important a job as any full-time work. If you're unprepared for it, face the consequences.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
If Jo Frost manages to tame children without corporal punishment, then modern parenting is not too soft.
It's that people don't have the patience to persevere with modern style discipline
Reply 3
Has there a been a significant increase in teachers leaving schools due to poor behaviour/discipline? I don't seem to notice this!
Original post by shawn_o1
When parents don't parent their children, teachers can't teach those children, and employers can't employ them when they get older. Seems like a lot of the youth are destined for jail rather than a decent life.

Well said I don't think it's just jail either or "chavvy" typical hard kids. Even lots of "working class/middle class" families have kids with appalling manners (lots of my family are teachers). I think modern parents don't know how to parent a lot, my parents are really well off but they were much stricter
Original post by Kyle1198
If Jo Frost manages to tame children without corporal punishment, then modern parenting is not too soft.
It's that people don't have the patience to persevere with modern style discipline

By modern parenting I mean what most modern parents do, so if thats not persevering with "modern style" discipline as you say then it is kinda soft.

I dont think parents should belt their kids or hit them but I know loads of people who won't even tell their kids off
LOL No! Have you met some african,arab parents? :colonhash:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
LOL No! Have you met some african,arab parents? :colonhash:

I mostly mean British people cuz this is a British site

but I used to date an Arab guy in school, his mum whacked him with shoes :rofl:
There is an attitude, amongst younger parents especially, where you cant say no to a child. Hence, the children grow up spoiled and without boundaries, which prevents teachers from being able to teach them down the line as the child cant then cope with being told that they cant do something.
Reply 9
It's not up to you or anyone* in this forum to say so, it's up to science and statistics to show us whether or not the past and present methods have worked or not. As far as I know, corporal punishment and other methods have been proven scientifically not to work, so there's your answer.
Original post by JasonGenovaFan
I mostly mean British people cuz this is a British site

but I used to date an Arab guy in school, his mum whacked him with shoes :rofl:

ahh
Some african parents are worse :biggrin: The shoe is considered a light punishment :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
an_atheist
There is an attitude, amongst younger parents especially, where you cant say no to a child. Hence, the children grow up spoiled and without boundaries, which prevents teachers from being able to teach them down the line as the child cant then cope with being told that they cant do something.

I agree. Kids get taught entitlement and teachers cant fix it really.

Original post by PrincessBO$$
ahh
Some african parents are worse :biggrin: The shoe is considered a light punishment :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Are you african? :lol: :biggrin:
I feel like parents are too soft nowadays. But it's hard to judge as I'm and most of us on this forum are millennials. I don't think the cane is effective. Discipline needs to start from the home.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree. Kids get taught entitlement and teachers cant fix it really.

Are you african? :lol: :biggrin:

Yes Im Somali. But my parents are a bit more western :tongue: so they dont beat me that much. I had a Nigerian friend tho her mum grabbed her by the ear :biggrin:
My mum is really strict with me but really soft towards my brother.
Some are too soft. I once asked politely for the woman above me, when she has her grandchildren, for them to keep their noise down. (they scream and bang any time from 6.30am) She told me no and used the excuse of that they're children.

I stayed with a relative of mine earlier this year who have a one year old and a five year old. Funny how they managed to keep quiet. We went out and the baby was strapped in his pram and the five year old was generally good.
As a mother of 7, in my opinion is that parents don't want to be parents - they want to be their children's 'friend'. There is also the issue of the Nanny State and how much or little the State should intervene and where the boundaries are between State and Family and parents are children.
Examples. Telling children what rights they have but omitting to enlighten children as to the responsibilities they have and will have both to their parents and society at large. I am sick of hearing children saying to teachers these days "you can't touch me". "I've got rights". Teachers have no authority now and children know it.
You only have to look at programmes like Supernanny, the 3 Day Nanny and books on shelves on parenting.
Where children are concerned, 'No!' Is a dirty word.
People say lots of young people have no manners and you see teachers resigning from schools a lot because there's no discipline. What do you think? Should we bring back the cane or are modern parents spoiling kids?

In b4 "every generation says this"

My aunt does both. She spoils my cousin which makes her an unmanageable little terror. Then, she spanks her as punishment... Which does no good whatsoever.
Reply 18
Probably yeah, the whole molly coddling and 'health and safety' culture now is ridiculous.
Reply 19
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
My mum is really strict with me but really soft towards my brother.

What grades you get in school compared to your bro?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending