The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pilock
Why does it have to be cooked?

If humans are meant to eat meat- then why can they survive without eating meat and still be healthy?

Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you are meant to do it. Just because you were born into a society were something is the norm- it doesn't mean it was meant to be that way. Just because something has been happening for thousands of years it doesn't mean it has to continue happening. All these arguments that are made for meat is weak.
We can. We just choose not to because it tastes better cooked.
Original post by pilock
Fat loser.

My bodyfat fluctuates between 8 and 12%, I'm in prime condition, I suppose you could say, I'm a fine piece of meat
Original post by pilock
But you just made the argument that humans were MEANT to eat meat because our ancestors did it. That was what you were basing your argument on. I am sorry but that is the same as saying men are meant to rape because our ancestors did it. It makes no sense it all. You cant have it both ways were you use our ancestors action to justify one thing but say you cant use it to justify something else.

I am stating facts. I said most people get sick from eating it and that is a fact.

Dont go round dictating to animals what they should do- its pathetic.

Well there is a difference . That was a societal thing, eating isn't societal.

Humans aren't meant to use the Internet but you are using it - why is that? Oh yes, because you choose to do so,,- so if people want to eat cooked meat they can - same logic.

People get sick from eating lots of things - my friend (who is a veggie) gets sick more than me .

Do you protest people cooling vegetables by the way?

Oh so this is a moral thing - you should've said!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Atlas Thugged
Steak yes, chicken no, does sushi count?

Sushi is rice, so it doesn't count.
Original post by Dr Pesto
Sushi is rice, so it doesn't count.

I should have said Sashimi tbh.
Reply 65
Original post by alexschmalex
then why does it taste so ogoooooooooooooooooooood

It tastes vile
Original post by pilock
The animals that eat others dont get sick after eating raw flesh where as humans do.. Yes its safer cooking raw meat because it wasn't meant to be eaten.

Its not propaganda. This is scientific facts.

They are very capable of becoming sick after eating meat. Just depends what the prey was carrying.

Of course a vulture is going to be more capable at safely digesting rotting meat than a lion. Overall carnivore digestive systems are geared more towards slowly digesting and thoroughly sterilising their food, and there is also a matter of immune systems.
What does "meant" even mean? Do you mean our creator meant it that way? If you don't believe in a creator then I don't think it means anything really.

From an evolutionary perspective, which you seem to be taking with the raw meat argument, humans have definitely evolved to eat meat. Before farming, which makes up the bulk of our evolutionary history, there wouldn't have been enough plants around to get the protein humans need. But does that me we are meant to eat it? Again, meant by who? A creator?

But I agree that now we don't need to eat meat because through farming we have developed substitutes for protein that our ancestors could have only got from meats.

I agree this type of argument is a weak one in favour of meat. I'm a proud meat eater and I know I am killing animals for my own pleasure when I eat meat. Don't try to make excuses fellow meat eaters. Meat tastes good and that is enough.
As a geology undergrad from Cambridge, I feel qualified to answer this question. If we weren't meant to eat animals then how come they taste of hamburgers?

FTW.
Original post by pilock
No you're wrong. You would get really ill if you did that.

No, you wouldn't. Eating raw meat is fine - so long as it fills a specific set of conditions. The problem with sickness from eating raw meat isn't that it's raw, it's that it's harbouring bacteria because of a combination of the animals diet, agricultural practices and the time taken from slaughterhouse to plate. If we were to eat raw meat like most carnivores do - to kill and eat immediately, we'd be fine. Similarly if a lot of carnivores were to scavenge (eating old meat like we do for convenience), they'd be quite ill, because they aren't scavengers.
Original post by pilock
The point was that the argument humans are MEANT to eat meat is wrong. And that is a fact.

So you are saying, that you are disputing the argument that 'humans are intended to eat meat'.

That's pointless af
Reply 71
Original post by M14B
Humans are not meant to eat meat

Humans are not meant to eat
If it tastes nice and is safe to eat, you can eat whatever the hell you fancy. Stop trying to convince other people they are going against nature. If you were starving you'd eat meat and starving is exactly how we spent a lot of our evolution.
Original post by M14B
Humans are not meant to eat meat

Humans are also not meant to use the Internet but you're using it. Why are you?
Cos man is supposed to cook that ting
I eat raw bacon all the time
Ignore the haters OP they're vicious animal killers!

Instead I eat natural things which humans should eat, so I don't need to cook them. You have Kidney beans, cherries/apricots etc, apples, potatoes..mushrooms and so much more......I just eat them all raw and scoff the lot.....ignore those pesky side effects, dying is overrated as a negative side-effect of toxins.
Humans are herbivores. We're not meant to eat animals. Do your research and make the link between the ethics, environmental and the destructive health effects of meat, dairy and egg consumption. Here's a good channel to help you make this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJq0eQZoFSwgcqgxIE9MHw/videos

Humans are most definitely not herbivores.Humans do have canine teeth but they're not as pronounced because they dont need to be because we cook our food.Tigers have such massive canines because they need to use them for ripping and tearing humans dont.Also you assume that animals dont have problems eating meat they do.They can get parasites but they eat their food immediately whilst we store raw meat for long periods of time.Hence we need to cook it because its more dangerous to eat.If we were herbivores we wouldnt even like the taste of meat.
Original post by Romanoff
Humans are herbivores. We're not meant to eat animals. Do your research and make the link between the ethics, environmental and the destructive health effects of meat, dairy and egg consumption. Here's a good channel to help you make this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJq0eQZoFSwgcqgxIE9MHw/videos

As a geology undergrad from Cambridge I think that I am uniquely qualified to weigh in here. Studies have shown that plants do indeed feel something when they are injured. See link provided:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGLABm7jJ-Y

Armed with this information, why would you torture plants to satisfy your hunger when it is proven that animals don't suffer when we use them for meat.

Latest