The Student Room Group

STEM subjects

This may be a stupid question, but do Computing and Product Design count as STEM subjects? Is there a definitive list somewhere? I'm thinking Product Design sits in Design and Technology departments...
I don't think many consider them to be STEM, but they could fall under that category. Computer science would be not sure about product design tho
Original post by HopelessMedic
I don't think many consider them to be STEM, but they could fall under that category. Computer science would be not sure about product design tho

what are stem subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by 2000rules
what are stem subjects?

STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics so anything that falls within those categories would be classed as STEM.*
Original post by Shawman
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics so anything that falls within those categories would be classed as STEM.*

thank you!
CS must be as it is a mixture of Maths and Technology. You could argue for PD as it is sort of engineering but not sure :/
I thought the only STEM subjects were Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Computer Science = Technology...duur?
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanical Engineering? Civil Engineering?

They don't count as engineering?
I think Computing is a ("non-traditional") STEM subject but Product Design is not.
Original post by Supersaps
Mechanical Engineering? Civil Engineering?

They don't count as engineering?

I'm just talking about A-level subjects here.
Reply 11
You can do Engineering A level. That has to count as the E of STEM. Also some will count Physical Geography as a S. I guess we'll have to ask organisations specifying "STEM" if they will count PD. Except they (GCHQ) haven't answered.
for which purposes?

if you definitely want to do PD probably including it a combination including maths and a science (e.g. physics) gives you most options for further study.
product design = engineering
computer science = technology
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Posted from TSR Mobile

electronics? computer science? geology? statistics?
What do you think the reactions of a group of students who take Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics would be if a guy walked up to them and said 'Hey, I'm STEM too, I do Electronics, Computer Science, Geology, and Statistics!'?

Yeah, they technically count as STEM, but they're not real STEM. They're not what people typically associate with STEM. It's like saying humans are animals. Yeah, they technically are... But they're different.
Product Design = Design and Technology; at A-level both are included in the subject title.

Technically I think it does, it was always considered STEM at my school at least... Technology/engineering and stuff. But with the design element it is kind of one foot in, one foot out of the STEM door.
I think it depends on the specific subject and content of the course (I would personally consider Product Design: Resistant Materials to count as STEM, but perhaps not Product Design: Graphics...) Its about the Technology-Design balance.

Quick Reply

Latest