The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE English Language Reading Paper-Powerful Words and Phrases.

Screenshot_20160729-021941.png
For the cie igcse english language reading paper, when answering the question on powerful words and phrases, do you have to give a small overview of each paragraph from which you are taking words from? Another member of the forum said that 1 mark was available for an overview of each paragraph (as shown in the image I have attached). Is the marking allocation of what this person has said true? Mark schemes say an overview "may" be given. Do you have to give overviews to get 10/10. Lastly, is each analysis of each word worth 1 mark?
Reply 1
Original post by dp00
Screenshot_20160729-021941.png
For the cie igcse english language reading paper, when answering the question on powerful words and phrases, do you have to give a small overview of each paragraph from which you are taking words from? Another member of the forum said that 1 mark was available for an overview of each paragraph (as shown in the image I have attached). Is the marking allocation of what this person has said true? Mark schemes say an overview "may" be given. Do you have to give overviews to get 10/10. Lastly, is each analysis of each word worth 1 mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQUVDTZLLY

Screenshot_20160726-094222.jpg
If only I had watched that video before the exam! For the 1st question in the readimg paper, which was a letter, what mark would I get if my points for the last bullet point were erong but everything else was excellent? I knoe i said that the previous question would be my last but I would really appreciate it! The mark scheme I have attached is for qu 1.
Reply 3
Original post by dp00
Screenshot_20160726-094222.jpg
If only I had watched that video before the exam! For the 1st question in the readimg paper, which was a letter, what mark would I get if my points for the last bullet point were erong but everything else was excellent? I knoe i said that the previous question would be my last but I would really appreciate it! The mark scheme I have attached is for qu 1.

max 9/15 for reading. bullets must be equally focused for 10+

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
max 9/15 for reading. bullets must be equally focused for 10+

Posted from TSR Mobile
but I wrote equal amounts for each bullet point.
Reply 5
Original post by dp00
but I wrote equal amounts for each bullet point.

not if it was all wrong as you stated. this would mean an unequal distribution due to incorrect bp3 hence no bp3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
not if it was all wrong as you stated. this would mean an unequal distribution due to incorrect bp3 hence no bp3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you sat this years paper, bullet point 3 was about what a woman's plans would be for the rest of her trip as her husband was in hospital. I said things like, she couldnt wait to go home and she was ashamed to show her face around the resort where her husband injured himself being stupid... would that get some marks?
Reply 7
Original post by dp00
if you sat this years paper, bullet point 3 was about what a woman's plans would be for the rest of her trip as her husband was in hospital. I said things like, she couldnt wait to go home and she was ashamed to show her face around the resort where her husband injured himself being stupid... would that get some marks?

It's not really about what you say, it's about how much you say and if it is equal to the others. Of course there is right and wrong information as some of it is factual, however with BP3 it is more implied and if that's what you got then that's what you got. However, what you have said isn't really anything to do with what was asked, in fact it is more like something you would say for BP2. If BP1 and BP2 were perfect, you can still be capped at < 9 for nothing or incorrect details on BP3. What I'm trying to say is that you don't get marks for specific things, it is a more general mark. This general mark cannot be over 9 if there is uneven focus on the bullets. Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending