The Student Room Group

Would I only get 1 mark for this question instead of 2?

Screenshot_20160729-023743.png
For question 12, in the image I have attached, would I only get 1 mark for putting x=2, when in fact it should be x is <2. If I wrote "=" symbols in my working would I also lose a mark? I really need the msrks so please tell me I would only lose 1!! Surely I should get 1 mark for showing that I could almost get the answer?
Reply 1
Original post by dp00
Screenshot_20160729-023743.png
For question 12, in the image I have attached, would I only get 1 mark for putting x=2, when in fact it should be x is <2. If I wrote "=" symbols in my working would I also lose a mark? I really need the msrks so please tell me I would only lose 1!! Surely I should get 1 mark for showing that I could almost get the answer?
Yes, you should however use the > in your working too.
Original post by Aph
Yes, you should however use the > in your working too.
thank you so much for replying. Even if i didnt use the "<" in my working, i should still get 1 mark right? Because I still got the right number.
Reply 3
Original post by dp00
thank you so much for replying. Even if i didnt use the "<" in my working, i should still get 1 mark right? Because I still got the right number.

It does depend on the marker and mark scheme. Generally yes but not always. You should try and avoid using the = in this case anyway if you really care about your marks.
So most of the time, examiners give 1 mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Nobody said anything about frequency. But if your working is correct, and the only mistake is the wrong symbol, then you should be awarded one mark.
Original post by mik1a
Nobody said anything about frequency. But if your working is correct, and the only mistake is the wrong symbol, then you should be awarded one mark.
The working is correct, but mark schemes say "condone" if "=" is used in working. All my working was correct, but I just put = instead of < in the working and the answer...

Quick Reply

Latest