The Student Room Group

How do Christians defend this verse in the Bible.

Scroll to see replies

I contend that if certain conditions were the same today as in Old Testament days, low populations, no coordinated local police force, isolated towns and villages, and you would see these same acts being committed today. My point is that God was dealing with man in ways and with methods man could relate to, were familiar to him, and found wholly acceptable. There is enough brutality in mans heart to commit these acts apart from any orders from God.
Original post by chazwomaq
The Bible is full of awful things supposedly sanctioned or committed by God.

What's the problem, dude? Start a criminal case against God. :cool:
Original post by admonit
What's the problem, dude? Start a criminal case against God. :cool:

Hehe. The problem is if you believe them, you are following an immoral idea. That can lead you to do immoral things in the world *- see ISIS, or the inquisition, etc.

Instead, Christians should realise the Bible is not entirely the word of God and they can reject the immoral parts as the propaganda of men fighting wars or trying to justify their human laws.
Hehe. The problem is if you believe them, you are following an immoral idea. That can lead you to do immoral things in the world *- see ISIS, or the inquisition, etc.

Instead, Christians should realise the Bible is not entirely the word of God and they can reject the immoral parts as the propaganda of men fighting wars or trying to justify their human laws.

OK, why the believers don't realize it today? Can a moral person follow an immoral idea? Are the believers stupid or/and immoral?
And why the society does not forbid these "evil scripts"? Is it stupid or/and immoral?
I hold my breath.. :cool:
Original post by admonit
OK, why the believers don't realize it today? Can a moral person follow an immoral idea? Are the believers stupid or/and immoral?

If I could understand you, I would answer.

And why the society does not forbid these "evil scripts"? Is it stupid or/and immoral?
I hold my breath.. :cool:

Our society does not follow these rules (evil scripts?). Much of the OT would be totally illegal today. A society that did follow them would be like Daesh i.e. immoral.*
If I could understand you, I would answer.

OK, now slowly.

Why they don't realize it? Are they stupid or/and immoral?
Our society does not follow these rules (evil scripts?). Much of the OT would be totally illegal today. A society that did follow them would be like Daesh i.e. immoral.*

You didn't answer my question. Why these scripts are not forbidden for publication?
Original post by admonit
OK, now slowly.

Why they don't realize it? Are they stupid or/and immoral?

Many Christians do. I don't know why the others don't. Probably they haven't thought about it hard enough. Many also probably aren't aware of such verses in the Bible.

You didn't answer my question. Why these scripts are not forbidden for publication?

You never said for publication before! We have freedom of speech, that's why. A free society doesn't ban descriptions of immorality otherwise there goes most of literature. Of course, the Bible is banned in some parts of the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Many Christians do. I don't know why the others don't. Probably they haven't thought about it hard enough. Many also probably aren't aware of such verses in the Bible.

Probably? The believers probably don't think hard enough about their religion and their scripts? Really? And now you come to teach them?
There are two options:
1. The believers are stupid or/and immoral. In fact a moral person cannot follow immoral ideology.
2. You have a problem with understanding of the subject.
One of two, dude. :cool:
We have freedom of speech, that's why.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of evil speech. And, according to your "discovery", the religious scripts preach immoral things.
Original post by admonit
Probably? The believers probably don't think hard enough about their religion and their scripts? Really? And now you come to teach them?
There are two options:
1. The believers are stupid or/and immoral. In fact a moral person cannot follow immoral ideology.
2. You have a problem with understanding of the subject.
One of two, dude. :cool:

Theologians have been trying for centuries to understand and justify such verses. They have failed so far. (Otherwise what is the answer?).

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of evil speech.

Yes it does. What country are you from out of interest?

And, according to your "discovery", the religious scripts preach immoral things.

Not my discovery. People have been making the same critique for centuries.
Theologians have been trying for centuries to understand and justify such verses. They have failed so far. .

Not my discovery. People have been making the same critique for centuries.

Sorry, but just your opinion.Wrong opinion.
Yes it does.

Until it is incitement to violence. Learn the laws of your country.
What country are you from out of interest?

Are you too lazy to click my avatar? :smile:
(Otherwise what is the answer?)

This.
If you don't know then ask (but not in parentheses). It's simple.
The thread is addressed to Christians, so ask them.
My answer, though sarcastic, you can find here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4227000&page=4&p=66605354#post66605354
Original post by admonit
Sorry, but just your opinion.Wrong opinion.

LOL no. e.g. Marcionism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcionism

Until it is incitement to violence. Learn the laws of your country.

Your claim was "evil speech" not incitement to violence. No law against evil speech in this country.
Well there are a few types of Christians and people who follow the bible. There are literalists - those who take everything the bible says literally (I'd imagine West Boro are more along these lines), and there are liberalists who take the bible with a pinch of salt, who know that the message is the important thing and not the small details. Eg literalists would think that in Noah's Ark, the whole world literally flooded, but liberalists would see it as potentially a big flood back then, but mainly a story that to be saved, you gotta be good :P
Original post by ihatehannah
'
'For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death.'

So people who work on Sunday should be killed? This is the student room and I presume we all have a decent amount of intellect- so how can anyone who says the Bible is a great moral compass defend this verse, I'm actually curious for an answer. If the old testament is the sacred word of God, then how can he command such evil deeds. I do not care if you Christians follow the New testament now and disregard the OT because you can't disavow the OT and the fact of the matter is it was written by God. You can't deny that and I want someone to directly answer this.

So, the only parts of the OT which I would personally not follow are the ones diectly countered by Jesus or in the NT directly- such as a) eating certain meats b) having sarcifices and of course c) working on the Sabbath day. (I think it's in Matthew 12v 1-5 for example).
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
So, the only parts of the OT which I would personally not follow are the ones diectly countered by Jesus or in the NT directly- such as a) eating certain meats b) having sarcifices and of course c) working on the Sabbath day. (I think it's in Matthew 12v 1-5 for example).

So you don't wear garments made from two materials, eat meat cooked with milk or with blood still in it, or cut your sideburns or beard?
So you don't wear garments made from two materials, eat meat cooked with milk or with blood still in it, or cut your sideburns or beard?

The distinquishment I think is between moral law and cultural law. The reason for the materials passage was because only a priest was allowed to wear tow different clothes. Meat cooked with milk is only mentioned as "young goat cooked in it's mothers milk". I'm a girl so haven't got a clue about the beard one :P I understand that some stuff seems like picking and choosing. With the moral laws- you know "Don't kill" etc would follow even if they were an inonvenience.
I don't know all the answers and welcome being challenged so go ahead :smile:
(oh and there's a point in genesis when God himself eats a meal made from milk and meat, prepared by abraham, I think)
The distinquishment I think is between moral law and cultural law...

So you don't follow them all, despite what you said two posts above?
Reply 136
The distinquishment I think is between moral law and cultural law. The reason for the materials passage was because only a priest was allowed to wear tow different clothes. Meat cooked with milk is only mentioned as "young goat cooked in it's mothers milk". I'm a girl so haven't got a clue about the beard one :P I understand that some stuff seems like picking and choosing. With the moral laws- you know "Don't kill" etc would follow even if they were an inonvenience.

How do you decide what the moral laws are and what the cultural laws are?

(oh and there's a point in genesis when God himself eats a meal made from milk and meat, prepared by abraham, I think)

angels, not God
Original post by JM999
How do you decide what the moral laws are and what the cultural laws are?
angels, not God

Oh is it? Whoops ok so I was wrong there, but still the angels were sent from God so I doubt they would have 'sinned'. As for deciding, not a theologian ere, but there are loads of ways of understanding what comes under moral and cultural law. Like, looking at the culture of the time and seeing whether it was a specific order for them which fitted that time. Found a website which said "The moral law encompasses regulations on justice, respect, and sexual conduct, and includes the Ten Commandments." like law which is a certain concept, idk like Love Your neighbour as Jesus said. The cultural laws are fairly obvious to spot, I guess, like certain feasts and festivals, or directions as to how to treat your slaves. I hope that was a fair answer. I think the best way (which could be something that I will try myself), is to read the verses, as well as the 'justification' for them, figure out whether the commentator is making sense or not, and personally I would pray for understanding.
And, since we are taking the whole Bible into account,what Jesus said about Loving the Lord your God and your neighbour, "on this hang all the Law and Prophet."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending