The Student Room Group

Why is IQ on the decline in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Schools' fault.
Original post by Bill_Gates

Whilst countries like China who have WAY less resources per head have much higher IQ at 105 and increasing still..........

Why are you always the first on TSR to bash the UK negatively as possible? :frown: :unimpressed: I've hardly ever seen you mention something nice about the UK. :sad: :moon:
Original post by RavioliDance
Why are you always the first on TSR to bash the UK negatively as possible? :frown: :unimpressed: I've hardly ever seen you mention something nice about the UK. :sad: :moon:

merely sharing the truth?
Original post by Willdono
1) People migrating from countries with lower average IQ into the UK. Intelligence is 80% inherited and 20% environmental therefore first and second generation immigrants will experience minimal IQ gains from enhanced education.
2) Oriental Asian countries have always scored highly on IQ tests. This could be due to higher cranial capacity than Negroids and Caucasians.
3) The education system could be another factor. It seems to me that there is no critical thinking required these days and it's all about regurgitation from a book/ the internet.

IQ tests are rarely taken nowadays because they and the notorious bell curve were discredited in the 1950s - Prof Brian Simon Leicester University et al.

Remember one notorious IQ question - what is the difference between a parlour maid and a lady's maid?

Oh and Birt who provided the 'intellectual back up' with his study of twins separated at birth was found to have falsified/invented his research. He did however manage to ruin the life chances of thousands of children with the 11+ exam. Fortunately most children are now in Comprehensive schools and aren't ' proved ' to be incapable of intellectual learning post 15.
The average IQ in the UK is normally only ever 100, as the average IQ in the UK is normally used as the baseline from which all other countries IQ's are measured against.
Original post by The Epicurean
The average IQ in the UK is normally only ever 100, as the average IQ in the UK is normally used as the baseline from which all other countries IQ's are measured against.

lol wut?
lol wut?

One of the most renowned individuals involved in producing international comparisons of IQ between countries was led by an individual called Richard Lynn, and many international IQ comparisons are taken from his studies.

On this journal article by Richard Lynn, under "scaling to IQ metric" he states:

[T]he average score of Britain was adjusted to 100 and the within-country standard deviation of 85 was adjusted to 15. These scores show the actual performance on the school assessment tests relative to Britain.

http://www.ttu.ee/public/m/mart-murdvee/EconPsy/2/Lynn_Meisenberg_2010_National_IQs_calculated_and_validated_for_108_nations.pdf

Whilst countries like China who have WAY less resources per head have much higher IQ at 105 and increasing still..........

An IQ in my opinion doesn't determine how intelligent you are so theres nothing to worry about.
Original post by tanyapotter
People who suggest it's because of environmental factors are so ignorant. IQ is not the same thing as knowledge gained from education. It's innate intellectual ability.

If you google the Flynn effect you'll note that IQ in the West has been steadily increasing, environmental factors clearly do have an effect, for example exposing children to reading, musical instruments and other intellectually stimulating past-times has a positive influence on their IQ as adults.
Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
Very true point you make about the effect of globalisation on culture and consumerism. However you can't be purely one sided in you're reasoning. There are many different factors contributing to the moral, social and intellectual decline in our nations youth. For example, if you have parents with a negative view of education, by process of proximity, the child itself will I turn develop the same attitude towards education, achievement and ultimately how they view the world. Because after all the apple never falls far from the tree. Something I am sure you can find reason in.

There are large swathes of people in this country, especially England I'd say, that actively hate education and all intellectual curiosity. It's a bit sad but it's what class system indoctrination bred deep into our culture.
Prove it.
Why the hell do people ask these questions here? If you really want to know, go ask a professional scientist on a scientific forum, you won't get any right answers here.
Reply 32
Original post by oShahpo
Why the hell do people ask these questions here? If you really want to know, go ask a professional scientist on a scientific forum, you won't get any right answers here.

cos their IQ is on the decline
Because the youth of today are bunch of labour loving, left wing, pansies who live in this magical world of faries and rainbows and just want happiness. These are some of the most unambitious people you will ever come across. Feminism, lgbt, these sorts of groups are pushing their left wing agenda and in doing so are pushing down people's IQ's.
Reply 34
Original post by #JOSH45#
Because the youth of today are bunch of labour loving, left wing, pansies who live in this magical world of faries and rainbows and just want happiness. These are some of the most unambitious people you will ever come across. Feminism, lgbt, these sorts of groups are pushing their left wing agenda and in doing so are pushing down people's IQ's.

Left wing and liberal values are positively correlated with IQ, if I recall correctly. Certainly the people you describe lack a certain kind of intelligence, but I don't think it is the kind involved in IQ tests.
IQ tests are fun (IMO) but largely a waste of time. The results are mildly predictive but broadly irrelevant.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Left wing and liberal values are positively correlated with IQ, if I recall correctly. Certainly the people you describe lack a certain kind of intelligence, but I don't think it is the kind involved in IQ tests.

Well i think it's indirectly linked, these people may be academic but seriously lack common sense. And IQ tests really aren't testing for academic ability. The left wing has a very dangerous ideology that breeds laziness (a reliance on welfare) and ultimately, stupidity.
IQ tests are more of an indicator of success than possibly any other test!
IQ tests are more of an indicator of success than possibly any other test!

Fancy posting an article/study to support this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TORY AUSTERITY!!!!!!!

(I blame technology)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending