The Student Room Group

Strategy consulting intern at top tier firm- AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davelittle
Hey guys

Hey Man, awesome thread (been searching for a consultancy related thread) - will send my qns tomorrow after my exam - PM ok?
Original post by Princepieman
This shouldn't be a CV issue, it should be a personal one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that and given the choice I'd rather take the year abroad, but I want to give myself the best opportunity upon graduation.
Original post by Davelittle
Hey guys,

Having returned to TSR today to browse of the forums that I spent half my sixth form life on, I noticed that this sub-forum seems to have a lack of consulting related threads.

I will be starting an internship at a top tier strategy consulting firm on Monday and am happy to answer any questions people have regarding the sector.

Note: I haven't started yet so will have to wait a few weeks before I can answer any questions on exactly what interns do on a day-to-day basis!

Fire away.

Sorry for digging up this old thread but now that you're approximately a month into your internship I just have a few questions;

How are the working hours, do you find your schedule to be unpredictable? Assuming that they send interns to work with clients are their time demands unreasonable?

How do you find your colleagues, are they interesting to work alongside or just book smart?

Are you enjoying it so far? What'sdo you find to be the best part and which do you find to be the worst part?
Reply 23
Seems in-line for Big4 non-strategy and other larger consultancies but below par for strat houses. Friend at one if the MBBs got offered £40k base + £5k signing + £5k potential year end as a new grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

May have misinterpreted the comment, you will not, absolutely not, be on 80k with 2-3 years Big 4 non-strategy consulting. Not a chance.

edit: realise this just got resurrected so a bit pointless commenting
Original post by NW86
May have misinterpreted the comment, you will not, absolutely not, be on 80k with 2-3 years Big 4 non-strategy consulting. Not a chance.

edit: realise this just got resurrected so a bit pointless commenting

I meant the link. It pegs it at £50-60k after 2-3 years of exp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I meant the link. It pegs it at £50-60k after 2-3 years of exp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh, fair enough, 50k sure, 60k maybe a bit of a stretch, but certainly more realistic than 80!
Reply 26
- I'm doing a weak subject at LSE, will I still stand a decent chance of getting a consulting internship at a top firm?

- Strategy consulting seems similar to IB M&A, is this true or am I wrong?
Good post, Questions:

Opinions of the relative merits and downsides of each of the big strat houses in your personal opinion (mk, bcg, bain, oc, etc.)?

What are, from your experience, the things screened from cover letters apart from the name of the university?

What is your honest assessment of the hours and (regarding the actual job) do people work weekends?

One of the things I think those blindly going into IB etc. don't recognize is that doing fewer hours in the prime years of your life are worth the relatively small salary sacrifice.
Original post by Mrkingpenguin

One of the things I think those blindly going into IB etc. don't recognize is that doing fewer hours in the prime years of your life are worth the relatively small salary sacrifice.

You say it's 'fewer' but my friends in the biz (mbb) regularly pull 9am to 10/11pm (sometimes even later depending on the case) during monday to thursday, then an 8 hour day on friday and then the weekend off but they also have to travel..

The difference is 60-70 hour weeks vs 70-80 (or more).

I'd say different strokes for different folks, it would make better sense to choose a job based on your interests as you'll work hard in either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You say it's 'fewer' but my friends in the biz (mbb) regularly pull 9am to 10/11pm (sometimes even later depending on the case) during monday to thursday, then an 8 hour day on friday and then the weekend off but they also have to travel..

I'd say different strokes for different folks, it would make better sense to choose a job based on your interests as you'll work hard in either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but I'd rather travel than spent all day in front of 4 monitors. Each to their own like you said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree with this. Have done both IBD and Consulting and I actually find Consulting more stressful - with a disproportionate amount of fire drills - and the hours are literally only a few hours a day less for like half the pay of those in IBD. Maybe it's just my project though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending