The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

I don't go to Birmingham so really can't say anything about their timetable - hopefully someone else will see this who does. I can assure you that there are plenty of people on my course who have a family and they cope ok. Good luck and try not to worry too much.
Original post by lisasmith2009
thanks for the response. I am really stressing about how long the days are going to be as i have a 5 year old at home. roughly what time did the lectures start and finish in the first year?
thanks for the response. I am really stressing about how long the days are going to be as i have a 5 year old at home. roughly what time did the lectures start and finish in the first year?

Hi Lisa,
I will be in the first year at BCU next year with you (I am part time for the first two years, so it will be my second year) and I agree with Amy re the reading. The work will soon start and it's hard to say what to look at until you start the courses and know which areas you need to focus on.
I will have send you a personal message about the timetable.
Reply 882
Hi i have been accepted to BCU for sept 2016. Should i be doing any reading before i get there and are there any books that you would recommend?

Lisa
Hi LisaWell done on getting into BCU! I have just finished my first year there. It is a really intense course (I know they tell you this, but it really is...) so my advice would be to have a rest over the Summer. Any reading will depend on your background - a basic knowledge of the body systems is useful and an understanding of English grammar. Everything else is taught from a baseline of 'nothing' so it is easier to access. I found the phonetics really hard, especially at the beginning as it was so new to me but got there in the end.
Reply 883
Original post by Dollydrop23
2017 application hopeful here so I hope its okay to intrude on the thread. I am a mature student applying for an access course this year. Can I ask you about the experience you have before you applied.

I have a son with learning disabilities, ASD and a language delay so I have experience of 7 years of Speech Therapy, both NHS and private therapy, courses (such as More Than Words), lectures and talks as well as a lot of practical experience of therapy programmes. Do you think this will be enough?
Sorry this is a late reply. I am also a mature student, who did Access and have just finished my first year. I had lots of experience with children from my career, but the Unis I visited advised me to get some experience with adults as well to support my application. I volunteered with the Stroke Association as a communication support assistant, but other charities also offer similar opportunities. I was able to fit this in with my Access course.Good luck with your application!
Hi, just wondered if anyone hoping to go to Sheffield this September to do speech science could advise whether a print out of your immunisation records with a stamp, but without a signature is satisfactory? I'm unable to get a GP or practise nurse to sign the sheet or fill in the actual immunisation form without a £33 fee. Therefore I'm hoping it isn't completely necessary!
Thanks
You'll probably have to cough up. It's standard for GPs to charge for that service and everyone else on the course will most likely have paid it. I paid it. Twice, actually, given that i had a false start and needed it again. The grouch in me asks, what makes you so special?*

Once it's done it's done, though. You then get transferred over to occupational health and the university oversees all your vaccinations and you don't have to pay for any of those. *
Original post by oreosandwich
Hi, just wondered if anyone hoping to go to Sheffield this September to do speech science could advise whether a print out of your immunisation records with a stamp, but without a signature is satisfactory? I'm unable to get a GP or practise nurse to sign the sheet or fill in the actual immunisation form without a £33 fee. Therefore I'm hoping it isn't completely necessary!
Thanks

Have you mentioned to your GP that it's for university? At my practice they don't charge for things like this if they are needed for educational reasons. Otherwise I imagine you will need to pay unfortunately.
Original post by giella
You'll probably have to cough up. It's standard for GPs to charge for that service and everyone else on the course will most likely have paid it. I paid it. Twice, actually, given that i had a false start and needed it again. The grouch in me asks, what makes you so special?*

Once it's done it's done, though. You then get transferred over to occupational health and the university oversees all your vaccinations and you don't have to pay for any of those. *

I have friends at other local doctors who recieved theirs free of charge, and with the £44 Dbs fee as well, it just starts to add up. Just feels painful giving away over £30 for someone's signature on a sheet of paper with all the information already on!
Original post by RowanB
Have you mentioned to your GP that it's for university? At my practice they don't charge for things like this if they are needed for educational reasons. Otherwise I imagine you will need to pay unfortunately.

I spoke to the receptionist who knew it was for university, however she said the signature would still cost which is a shame. Thanks anyway though :smile:
The DBS fee should be paid by the university.*
Original post by giella

Perhaps the uni will refund me then as i definitely paid the DBS fee myself. However I don't think there is any mention of that in any paper work I've received from the university. Thanks
Original post by giella

Not Sheffield. We paid for our DBS.
Original post by oreosandwich
Perhaps the uni will refund me then as i definitely paid the DBS fee myself. However I don't think there is any mention of that in any paper work I've received from the university. Thanks

No for Sheffield we definitely pay our own. :frown:
Original post by RowanB
No for Sheffield we definitely pay our own. :frown:

Yeah I thought so haha! Thanks :smile:
Reply 894
Original post by giella

At BCU you can claim the DBS fee back by filling in a form. You do need to collect this yourself and it wasn't well publicised.
Original post by Jo-sie
Hi, I'm planning to apply for a 2016 start too. I'm a very mature student and trying to work things out re. Childcare which is a bit of a headache with no grandparents on hand to help.

I've read a few things on here which seem to suggest it's possible to apply early. Is that something anyone else is planning to do?

Hi

I am a mature student and mum starting at Marjon on the SLT course this Sept and I wondered if you applied and did you get a place?

xx
Reply 896
Original post by mrsrev
At BCU you can claim the DBS fee back by filling in a form. You do need to collect this yourself and it wasn't well publicised.

I didn't know that! Can you please tell me where to get the form from to claim it back? I even took my dbs into the uni myself and they didn't mention it, in fact we had to pay online via the university system.... It would be very nice to get it back 🙂
Reply 897
Original post by Emilylavinia
Hi

I am a mature student and mum starting at Marjon on the SLT course this Sept and I wondred if you applied and did you get a place?

xx

Hi, yes I applied and have a place starting part time in Sept. I'm very excited but I know it's going to be tough to juggle studying and family life 😬 I'm not sure my husband really understands the full implications and the extra things that will be coming his way! We'll just have to work our way through it!

At this point I'm really glad I'm not 18 and waiting for exam results though, good luck to all those who are in that position!

Well done on getting your place on the course, have you got far to travel? Xx
Reply 898

Hi Lisa, I'm starting at bcu this year too. I'm doing part time as I also have a young family. Are you signed up for part time or full time? Either way we will have some lectures together. I'm sure there will be juggling to do for many of us on the course but I am also sure the students will be a great support for each other and we'll all sort it out! xxx
Reply 899
Original post by Jo-sie
I didn't know that! Can you please tell me where to get the form from to claim it back? I even took my dbs into the uni myself and they didn't mention it, in fact we had to pay online via the university system.... It would be very nice to get it back 🙂
Once you are enrolled, you can get the form from the Admin office (I can't remember the room number but level 2 and level with the lifts near the low '20..' number rooms) or from the main reception (just inside the building). Nobody officially told us, word got spread around the group.

Quick Reply

Latest