The Student Room Group

Resits

Have failed 3 out of 7 exams in 2nd year.
Have been told by tutor need to resist all of year 2 .
Will that affect what degree I get ?
Can I reach at least a 2/2 if not a 2/1.
What about finance ?
Help.
Reply 1
You get 4 years student finance, so as long as your course is supposed to only be 3 years long, you will be fine
You'll have to find out if your resit year is considered as a first sitting or if your grades are going to be capped. You also have to find out if you'll be awarded the highest grade (in case you get a lower grade in the modules you passed). If it counts as a first sitting, then you're fine. If you're capped, then it will definitely have an impact.
Original post by ExAndWhy
You get 4 years student finance, so as long as your course is supposed to only be 3 years long, you will be fine

Or in Scotland, you get your 4 year degree plus a gift year, so you'd also be fine there.
Reply 3
Thanks
Original post by ExAndWhy
Original post by GoingToBurst
You'll have to find out if your resit year is considered as a first sitting or if your grades are going to be capped. You also have to find out if you'll be awarded the highest grade (in case you get a lower grade in the modules you passed). If it counts as a first sitting, then you're fine. If you're capped, then it will definitely have an impact.

Or in Scotland, you get your 4 year degree plus a gift year, so you'd also be fine there.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread but if I did two years in an english uni but then wanted to do three years in a scottish uni would that still count?
I'm not sure, sorry! I think it depends where you come from too.
Reply 6
Original post by Finlay8
Have failed 3 out of 7 exams in 2nd year.
Have been told by tutor need to resist all of year 2 .
Will that affect what degree I get ?
Can I reach at least a 2/2 if not a 2/1.

That will depend on 1) Your uni's regs about resit years and how they are being applied to you and 2) What marks you get in your resit year and then your third year (assuming your first year doesn't contribute to your final grade), and how those are weighted.

If your uni has capped your resit year at a pass, then you won't come out of the year with anything above 40%. Under those circumstances it would be pretty difficult to end up with a 2:1 as your final degree mark, although a 2:2 should be achievable.

As an example, at my undergrad uni resit years without extenuating circumstances were capped at 40%. The second and third years were weighted at 40:60 of the final grade. Under that system, your third year result would have to be between 57%-73% in order to come out with a 2:2. To get a 2:1, your third year result would need to be 74% or over. (Calculations are based on whole numbers - many unis go down to one and sometimes two decimal places and can apply different rounding up rules).

Check the regs at your uni. The above is just an illustration from my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest