The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not going to bother responding to the rest until you decide to have a mature conversation, rather than abusing people and claiming they're disabled, but if this is the core of your argument it's based on an entirely false premise. Animals that consume only plants are herbivores. Having plants in their diet doesn't make them a herbivore any more than having meat in their diet makes them carnivores.

... I was clearly being sarcastic with the question.

You kept claiming the exact same thing: just because we couldn't digest cellulose, we weren't herbivores. I probably wrote the exact same thing 4 times and you still didn't understand. So I assumed and thus dumbed it down for you (and don't get me wrong, I tried dumbing it down in my previous posts). Many people have disabilities and it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Original post by SophieSmall
Honestly you should be ashamed of yourself. Not only for your blind ignorance, but the way you conduct yourself is shameful.

I've laid out clear evidence that yes meat, dairy and egg consumption contributes to many diseases and that we are simply suited to consume plants otherwise the system malfunctions, i.e. heart disease, stroke. The amount of saturated fat and cholesterol you are getting from meat is absolutely unnecessary. We don't even need meat to survive and yet I'm the one who is ignorant. If you don't care for yourself then at least care that this disgusting thing is happening where animals are tortured, raped and killed for our UNNECESSARY consumption.

Please watch "Forks Over Knives" on YouTube, I dare you. Honestly people, you don't care about yourselves, you don't care about the environment, you don't care about animals, what is it that you care for? What even is the point in all the human and animal suffering.

Just as an addition to the human suffering, if everyone went vegan - world hunger wouldn't be a thing anymore. All the space humans use for meat, dairy and egg farming would be MUCH more than enough for crops to feed starving women and children around the world. But nah, we obviously need meat to kill ourselves, the environment and other sentient, innocent living beings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Napp

Well in ye olde Greek stories didnt Prometheus steal the fire from Olympus and was somewhat punished for it?:P

I would argue that Prometheus, being a titan, was a divine being. He stole fire but gave it to mankind. So Prometheus was a good lord who gave fire to man.

That he was punished for it is not central to my narrative.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I swear somebody got chained to the rocks and repeatedly disembowelled by eagles over the whole thing.

See my response above.
Original post by Romanoff

You kept claiming the exact same thing: just because we couldn't digest cellulose, we weren't herbivores. I probably wrote the exact same thing 4 times and you still didn't understand. So I assumed and thus dumbed it down for you (and don't get me wrong, I tried dumbing it down in my previous posts). Many people have disabilities and it is nothing to be ashamed of.

I've laid out clear evidence that yes meat, dairy and egg consumption contributes to many diseases and that we are simply suited to consume plants otherwise the system malfunctions, i.e. heart disease, stroke. The amount of saturated fat and cholesterol you are getting from meat is absolutely unnecessary. We don't even need meat to survive and yet I'm the one who is ignorant. If you don't care for yourself then at least care that this disgusting thing is happening where animals are tortured, raped and killed for our UNNECESSARY consumption.

Please watch "Forks Over Knives" on YouTube, I dare you. Honestly people, you don't care about yourselves, you don't care about the environment, you don't care about animals, what is it that you care for? What even is the point in all the human and animal suffering.

Well it is very clear you don't study science. Yes you are ignorant. And yes you should be ashamed of yourself.

And lol animals getting raped...seriously. People like you are why others don't want to hear another vegan rants.

If you truly cared about animals and their welfare you might want to try being...um nice to people. No one wants to listen to a self righteous vegan who claims things as facts which aren't (no, no matter how emotional the subject makes you we are not herbivores). If your cause is truly right then you shouldn't need to lie and make up complete nonsense to suit your cause....yet that is all I see you doing on this thread.

Like I said shameful. I'd be ashamed to know someone like you in life.
(edited 7 years ago)

Not just, but our inability to break down cellulose is one of a number of things that demonstrates us to not be herbivores (our intermediate physiology in terms of caecum size relative to the rest of the body, stomach pH and intestine length also add to that), we are very much omnivorous, something most vegetarians have no problem with: https://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm - and why would they? Just because we can consume meat (and we can, contrary to your protestations), doesn't mean we should - but vegetarianism is a moral and to some extent environmental question, not a biological one.

However you continued to ignore that, ignore any requests for any evidence to support your herbivore hypothesis and instead resorted to childish insults like calling me disabled. I'm well aware that being disabled isn't something to be ashamed of, however I am not disabled and your use of it as an insult is frankly disrespectful to people who actually do have disabilities.

So, given you've still not posted any evidence that humans are not opportunistic omnivores, would you care to start actually backing up your argument?

Just as an addition to the human suffering, if everyone went vegan - world hunger wouldn't be a thing anymore. All the space humans use for meat, dairy and egg farming would be MUCH more than enough for crops to feed starving women and children around the world. But nah, we obviously need meat to kill ourselves, the environment and other sentient, innocent living beings.

You keep making stuff up and using hyperbole.Animals are not tortured and they're definitely not raped.what purpose would that even serve? You realise if people didnt eat meat those animals wouldnt be wandering around all happy and free.They wouldnt even exist.I agree you are scientifically ignorant.How you can use Einsteins picture is beyond me?
Original post by pilock
Most animal flesh cant be eaten raw without getting really sick.

really ?

how come raw meat and fish and served day in day out all over the place ...
Herbivore - An animal that can only survive by eating plants and stuff.

Carnivore - An animal that can only survive by eating meat.

Omnivore - An animal can can CHOOSE TO EAT EITHER OR BOTH, AND LIVE.

Not saying that a carnivore 'Can't eat plants' But that they don't digest enough to live off them alone or visa versa.

Doesn't matter if the 'statistics' say you die younger for one choice or another, YOU CAN LIVE OFF SOLELY MEAT OR PLANTS, Your damn choice.

There, argument over.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
1-2 servings of meat is perfectly safe, you should limit red meat but that's it. I'm not going to change my life to a ridiculous degree on account of the environment given that any real change will be fueled by the energy sector not my dietary habits.

RE. animal welfare, I have total empathy for the plight of all animals. I am aware everytime I eat meat and do realize a living animal died to provide it. I also think meat plugs up our internal parts so I find myself eating less and less.
To my ;point, As industrial and uncaring as the ways of modern slaughter can appear isn't it many times less painful and cruel as death in the wild??
To me it's a no brainer.
Original post by pilock
Why does it have to be cooked?

If humans are meant to eat meat- then why can they survive without eating meat and still be healthy?

Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you are meant to do it. Just because you were born into a society were something is the norm- it doesn't mean it was meant to be that way. Just because something has been happening for thousands of years it doesn't mean it has to continue happening. All these arguments that are made for meat is weak.

The early man did eat raw meat. but we must understand that they had developed great immunity. with time when fire was discovered, meat was cooked and the level of immunity possibly decreased as there was no need for it. and so we have now perhaps evolved to be a species with a lower level of immunity than what we started off with. Eating raw meat stuff can hold detrimental ramifications for many such as food poisoning caused by the contamination in the meat.
Original post by pilock

If humans are meant to eat meat- then why can they survive without eating meat and still be healthy?

Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you are meant to do it. Just because you were born into a society were something is the norm- it doesn't mean it was meant to be that way. Just because something has been happening for thousands of years it doesn't mean it has to continue happening. All these arguments that are made for meat is weak.

By your logic then, you should probably not use this forum/the internet at all, because you can survive perfectly fine without it, and arguably be more active/healthy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomith
By your logic then, you should probably not use this forum/the internet at all, because you can survive perfectly fine without it, and arguably be more active/healthy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I attempted that use of logic but the OP seems to blind to it. He/she is just a militant vegan who hates people who eat meat.
YOu can have raw beef, pink veal and even pink pork now. It's a matter of bacteria you can cope with and also toughness of your teeth to cut through the fibres. I suspect that before we discovered fire, we had raw meat, but at the time they probably had stronger jaws and teeth. It might just be that we evolved to be more like sissies who can only cope with cooked meat, simply because it's easier to eat as the fibres have been broken down by the cooking process. But also, to be honest, it tastes better. Who would want to eat raw pork or raw chicken.?
Original post by Jack22031994
I attempted that use of logic but the OP seems to blind to it. He/she is just a militant vegan who hates people who eat meat.

If his logic is animals being hurt needlessly (dont want to read the entire thread to be perfectly honest, would likely just annoy me) then the internet hurts animals too, as it uses electricity that aids global warming which is destroying habitats for animals. You cant do without one thing that helps the animals and act high and mighty about it, acting like everyone else is wrong/disgusting, when you yourself are doing things that are harming these animals as well

(By you, im referring to OP)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like to point out that people who arw vegetarian/vegan because of their love of animals/wanting to care for animals so wont eat them aren't what annoy me, until they start trying to make out that they are morally above everyone else, or try and force their opinions on others, without listening to anyone elses reason
Posted from TSR Mobile
Humans are herbivores. We're not meant to eat animals. Do your research and make the link between the ethics, environmental and the destructive health effects of meat, dairy and egg consumption. Here's a good channel to help you make this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJq0eQZoFSwgcqgxIE9MHw/videos

We have incisors, we're omnivores.
where animals are ...raped

:lolwut:
Original post by pilock

Vegan spotted
Don't let facts get in the way of a bad story
Reply 219
Original post by SophieSmall
Well it is very clear you don't study science. Yes you are ignorant. And yes you should be ashamed of yourself.

And lol animals getting raped...seriously. People like you are why others don't want to hear another vegan rants.

If you truly cared about animals and their welfare you might want to try being...um nice to people. No one wants to listen to a self righteous vegan who claims things as facts which aren't (no, no matter how emotional the subject makes you we are not herbivores). If your cause is truly right then you shouldn't need to lie and make up complete nonsense to suit your cause....yet that is all I see you doing on this thread.

Like I said shameful. I'd be ashamed to know someone like you in life.

I'd be ashamed to know someone like you in life.

Latest