The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by hamza772000
Hey, I know you didn't ask me, but I just saw this question so I tought I'd help. :smile:

The answer is 80, not 50. You've figured out the fact that two base angles in an isoceles triangle are equal, but the one's you think are the same, actually aren't. Angle FEB and EBF are the same. Angle EFB isn't 50 degrees because the BASE angles are the same, in this case the base is EB.

So if you know that Angle FEB and BEF are 50, then Angle BFE would equal 80, because 180-(50+50)=80.

Angle x is alternate to Angle EFB therefore it must also be 80 degrees. :smile:

Don't understand!!!
Can someone please draw this out."(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 421
I got it. But I don't understand how BE is the base?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant the line BE. B to E because both angles are the same, 50 and 50, so it is the base.
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile

image.jpg
You should see that BE is the base and that BF and EF are the same length. (The image has rotated but you should still be able to see what I mean clearly enough).
Reply 424
Original post by B_9710
image.jpg
You should see that BE is the base and that BF and EF are the same length. (The image has rotated but you should still be able to see what I mean clearly enough).

OOOOOOH THANK YOU SO MUCH

STUPID ME.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 425
Original post by B_9710
image.jpg

Wb this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Area of trapezium is 12h(a+b) \frac{1}{2} h(a+b) , where h is the distance between the parallel sides and a and b are the lengths of the parallel sides (alternatively you could split it up into a rectangle and a triangle). Then find how many bags will need to be bought to cover the area of the garden.
Reply 427
Original post by B_9710
Area of trapezium is 12h(a+b) \frac{1}{2} h(a+b) , where h is the distance between the parallel sides and a and b are the lengths of the parallel sides (alternatively you could split it up into a rectangle and a triangle). Then find how many bags will need to be bought to cover the area of the garden.

Do you mean something like this?

Or a square and triangle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Do you mean something like this?

Or a square and triangle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah if you look at the top diagram, you have split it into a rectangle and triangle, both of which you can easily find the area of.
Reply 429
Original post by B_9710
Yeah if you look at the top diagram, you have split it into a rectangle and triangle, both of which you can easily find the area of.

What about the triangle the base?

It can't be 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

It can't be 18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the long side - short sides = 18-12=6.
Original post by z_o_e

It can't be 18?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did you split the rectangle into 2 different rectangles?? There is no need, simply split the trapezium into a right-angled triangle and a rectangle. The bottom length will be split into a 12 and a 6 because the 12 matches the top side of the rectangle, and the 6 just adds on to make up the 18. Now you have a rectangle with area 12x9=108 and a triangle with area (6)(9)/2=27. Adding both of these will give you the entire area which is 135.

For the price, divide the 135 by 20 in order to see how many bags you need. Obviously you cannot have 6.75 bags so you will need to round up in order to ensure that it is an integer amount of bags as well as they are able to cover the whole trapezium. So 7 bags. Price would be 7x4.99 and there you have the answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 432
Original post by B_9710

I got this xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 433
Original post by B_9710

Omg my bad. Didn't find the area of the triangle it's /2

So it's 135 /20 =6.75

Then 7*4.99

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 435
Original post by B_9710

How would I do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you doing the new maths GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 437
Original post by ?Hannah
are you doing the new maths GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yepp 1-9

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
How would I do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you need work out the interior angles in tile A. Consider the angles at the top of the bottom triangle tile B. Label all the angles you know.
Reply 439
Original post by B_9710
So you need work out the interior angles in tile A. Consider the angles at the top of the bottom triangle tile B. Label all the angles you know.

Interior is (n-2)*180

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest