The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Can someone give me any tips for the AR section as I can't get the thinking to find the patterns right?
are the kaplan resources harder than the UKCAT test or is that just me...
Hey guys, just wondering whether there is anyway to convert your marks from the UKCAT website mock test into a score?
Original post by Orlanda
Hey guys, just wondering whether there is anyway to convert your marks from the UKCAT website mock test into a score?

yep you can scale it up so for example with abstract if you got 24/55, you'd do 600 divided by 55 which is 10.9, and then multiply that by 24 ( which is the number of answers you got right), this would then give you 261.8 out of 600, for it to be out of 900 just add 300 to both 261.8 and 600, and so 24 correctly answered would equate to around 561.
Original post by Yazmin123
are the kaplan resources harder than the UKCAT test or is that just me...

I have the kaplan book, and find it easier than the ukcat resources!
Original post by rose1234
Hi,
Can someone give me any tips for the AR section as I can't get the thinking to find the patterns right?

anything you get wrong, so any pattern you don't spot right it down and then make mnemonic out of the patterns you keep missing and use it for future questions. I personally don't find the memoir SCANS that useful (this is the one UkCat recommend)
Original post by bluebell786
Hi guys,I was wondering if you all thought a core of 650+ would be good enough for the dentistry universities ( excluding kings). I used to think a score of 650 + was good enough for universities such as: Sheffield, Plymouth and Bristol but everyone on tsr seems to think it isn't! Kings obviously require a higher ukcat, but would it be enough for other less ukcat heavy unis provided the grades were achieved.

Anyone any ideas? thank you in advance!
Hi guys,
I was just wondering, if I decided to extend my Medify subscription for an extra week, does this extra week need to be straight after the first week I paid for? Or can I decide to add a week extension a few weeks after my first subscription expired?
Hi,
Thanks for the help . For the AR, does anyone think that it would be possible for there to be an alternate relationship to the answer given or is it only possible for there to be one relationship?
(edited 7 years ago)
Did my UKCAT today, a mixed bag:Abstract-860Quantitative-780Verbal-540SJT-Band 1As you can see I did terribly in verbal-I think this was because I was really panicking when I started and my timing was awful, I guessed most of the last few questions, I'd say about 10(!). It's also really weird cos in all of my mocks verbal reasoning was my strongest, I was getting 750s, and qr was my weakest! I really did have high hopes for vr :'( So really goes to show that the outcome of the test really depends on the day/ questions you get guys.The other sections got progressively better thank goodness.My advice would be really try not to panic, and trust in your ability!
Original post by spacedoc98
Did my UKCAT today, a mixed bag:Abstract-860Quantitative-780Verbal-540SJT-Band 1As you can see I did terribly in verbal-I think this was because I was really panicking when I started and my timing was awful, I guessed most of the last few questions, I'd say about 10(!). It's also really weird cos in all of my mocks verbal reasoning was my strongest, I was getting 750s, and qr was my weakest! I really did have high hopes for vr :'( So really goes to show that the outcome of the test really depends on the day/ questions you get guys.The other sections got progressively better thank goodness.My advice would be really try not to panic, and trust in your ability!

That is still a super strong average so well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
That is still a super strong average so well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! I'm not sure whether it's good enough for this cycle though :/
Thank you very much! I'm not sure whether it's good enough for this cycle though :/

Generally anything over 700 is always a good score. Remember tsr is not very representative of the scores of everyone taking the test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi TSRuser8

As others have already said, the time that is allocated for the DA section can't be used to give you more time in the other sections.

Whilst it is really tempting to just sit back and not bother with the DA section because as you correctly point out, the score doesn't count towards anything, there are a couple of reasons why I would advise against this.

Firstly, it is never a good idea to switch off part way through a test. Far better to keep your mind focused so as not to lose momentum when you move on to the next section which will count.

Also, whilst hopefully you will fly through the UKCAT this year and have no reason to even think about having to take it again next year, it is worth bearing in mind that if the worst were to happen and you were to find yourself in the situation of retaking it, you would be in a much better position next time having taken the DA section seriously this time.

With all of that in mind, I would say that the best thing you can do is work through the section as you would if it did count, but just don't stress yourself out about it too much!

Hope that helps... just shout if you have any questions.

UniAdmissions

Alright thanks, I guess I'll stick with maintaining my focus ^^
Original post by Natalierm2707
Generally anything over 700 is always a good score. Remember tsr is not very representative of the scores of everyone taking the test.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok! I feel like pretty much everyone on tsr gets 750+ averagesThank you :smile:

that's really good! how much work did you do for it?
Ahh ok! I feel like pretty much everyone on tsr gets 750+ averagesThank you :smile:

720 is an amazing average....I would be over the moon if I got that score..
Do you have any tips for abstract and quantitative reasoning?
Guys just done mock 1 on medify
got 26/44 for VR
24/36 for QR
46/55 for AR
and 42/69 for SJT.....

what does ya'll think of this score.....is it representative of real thing...? thank you for any replies :bban::banana2::bl:
Original post by saudkhan2508
Guys just done mock 1 on medify
got 26/44 for VR
24/36 for QR
46/55 for AR
and 42/69 for SJT.....

what does ya'll think of this score.....is it representative of real thing...? thank you for any replies :bban::banana2::bl:

I haven't done modify since last year, but you could convert these scores into ukcat scores from the Kaplan book. Then it will tell you what you are actually getting.
Hope this helps
Original post by Summerfrance
Hi guys,
I was just wondering, if I decided to extend my Medify subscription for an extra week, does this extra week need to be straight after the first week I paid for? Or can I decide to add a week extension a few weeks after my first subscription expired?

Does anyone know?

Quick Reply