The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I think it is best if you do go talk to a scholar or imam because some of your reasons for doubt aren't really good reasons. For example, we do believe that there will be more women in heaven than men in the end. http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa-birmingham/19407

So it is better to go ask someone knowledgeable :smile:

Asking about why underage marriage is permissible is not a good thing?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Why is everyone typing in bold? Is it a form of yelling?

They cray cray :bird:

Hahaha fair enough
Original post by DorianGrayism
So you are using Christianity to cast doubt on Islam?

No I am offering the chance to to decide for himself, know ones making him believe it.
(edited 7 years ago)
You mean....asking about why underage marriage is permissible is not a good thing?

Different places have different ages for marriage.

In Islam we don't have a set age. Rather we go by puberty and when the parents think their offspring is mature enough for marriage. Ofcourse this is generally speaking and this statement doesn't cover any rare situations.
Different places have different ages for marriage.

In Islam we don't have a set age. Rather we go by puberty and when the parents think their offspring is mature enough for marriage. Ofcourse this is generally speaking and this statement doesn't cover any rare situations.

So a 9 year old hits puberty, then they can get married? Assuming the parents are ok with it.
Original post by ABadManTing
No I am offering the chance to to decide for himself, know ones making him believe it.

A bit like arguing against Alchemy using Astrology.
I was born and raised Muslim. The faith has a lot of good things about it.

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

Well what is faith anyway? Faith is believing in something without evidence.I ask you is that a sensible thing to do.If I tell you there is an invisible fire breathing dragon in my garage then you would tell me to prove it.Since you were a child your parents and family members and those around you have told you theres an invisible being in the sky who loves you and when you die you'll see everyone again.But you haven't asked them for proof of this claim.We would all love to believe that we'll live forever and be eternally happy after we die.But just because we'd like it to be true doesnt mean it is.Real life isnt like that.Religion is a fairytale with a nice happy ending.You can continue to believe the comforting story if you want to or you can open your eyes and see the world as it really is.Did you ever think that maybe Islam is sexist because its made up of legends and myths created by sexist men in a time where it was normal to view a women as ones property?
A bit like arguing against Alchemy using Astrology.

If you see it like then fair enough, thats your decision and I respect that.

I would say it's more cray cray to believe in a winged horse and rivers of honey than to type in bold.
I find it interesting how people of other religious leanings are assuming she will convert to their version of religion instead of just becoming free of it. I should point out that though I'm not religious myself I also have no specific problem with religion as a positive form of affirmation. I have several religious friends of various persuasions who use their beliefs to enhance theirs, and others' lives. But as soon as becomes a negative force, either for an individual or in a larger context, it becomes a dangerous and irrational proposition.

do think it through carefully though. i urge anyone to think for themselves, regardless of the outcome you come to.
Salaam

There is much to comment on here but the main thing I can comment on is that you have the wrong approach to religion but you haven't realised. A person does not agree or disagree with a religion based solely on subjectively moral issues, rather they affirm that the basis of the religion is correct or incorrect first before you look at rules.

Let's look at the time of revelation: the Prophet (SAW) spent the majority of his years in Mecca preaching Tawheed (the oneness of God) and the foundations of belief - this meant people's hearts softened to the message of Islam, and they developed the the understanding of reliance upon Allah and submitting to whatever He decreed and whatever the Prophet commanded thereby.
After they moved to Madinah, that is when the Islamic community had grown and their hearts were fertile soil to develop the rules and regulations of the Muslims - in the Quran, the verses which often mention rules state "Ahayu aladheena amaanu" - "O you who have believed" - showing that the rules are for those who were already firm in faith.

What I subsequently advise is you affirm the foundations of your belief - be confident that God exists, be confident that Islam is the religion of God, be confident that the Quran is the word of God, and when you are convinced that it is from Allah, then you don't need to worry if the finer rules are sexist or not or whatever. All of the topics you mention in the OP do not affect if Islam is the truth, rather they are topics that you just dont feel comfortable with, but they do not make Islam any less true. If these topics of subjective morality define whether you believe or not, then you have already conceded your belief in that you think your logic, understanding and personal morals are greater than those of your Creator who has rules in place because He is All Wise.

Build your faith from the bottom up (with the foundations), don't destroy it from the top down (with stuff that comes after belief like rules). May Allah guide you and us all.
(edited 7 years ago)
I will say this in response to the above post. If you say the morality of marrying a 9 year old is unimportant as long as you have belief then that is barbaric. If Allah came to earth and stood next to me and spoke to me and proved that he was real I wouldnt follow him if he told me marrying a 9 year old was acceptable. Same for God, if he beamed down and proved he was real, told me that I'd be saved if only I sacrifice my first born son, I tell him to get lost.

Blind acceptance of the immoral is unforgivable. I don't care how omnipotent you are, tell me to marry a child or kill my children and you deserve nothing but a punch in the face.
Original post by oShahpo
Can I just give you one piece of advice?

DO NOT ACCEPT THOSE WHO TELL YOU THAT IT'S THE DEVIL PLAYING WITH YOUR MIND!

I've always had doubts, when I was young, 10 or 11, my family used to tell me not to think about it because it's "the devil". Think about it, isn't this the perfect way to control one's mind?
Imagine every time you criticised the government, people called you a "spy" or something awful like that. Wouldn't that be the best way to control the people like sheep?

DO NOT be a sheep, question everything! I am sure you're intelligent enough to know that.

This. This. This.

One of the biggest reasons why you shouldn't consult an imaam or any religious teacher is because when it comes down to it they'll tell you the same thing. They don't have a good enough answer to give you, and they say that the devil is whispering in your ear and making you doubt your faith. It's the biggest load of rubbish, and it just pushes you into a cycle of belief, disbelief. They don't care what's best for you, they just want to push their agenda so they can pat themselves on the back and feel they've done their part in keeping you as a servant of god or whatever.

It's one of the two routes they take, the other being fear. My earliest memories of mosques, madrassahs and sermons is the horrible picture they'd paint, usually revolving around the horror of a disbeliever's grave or the intensity of hellfire. Hardly adheres to the idea of the loving god, but it's a tactic that works.

Personally, I don't have the capacity to commit to blind faith. Kudos to those who do, but I'm not one of them. I can't buy into the idea that there is a man (pshaw, okay) in the sky who governs the ideals that we ought to live by.

I see it this way: if I was omnipotent, would I really give a rat's a** whether you cover your head, or masturbate on the daily? I mean, no.

One of the most freeing things I've done is leave Islam and religion as a whole, I absolutely don't regret it. I'm happier now. The route that I used, and the only route I recommend is that you research, make your own unbiased judgement, and go with it. It's the best way to stay true to your beliefs and ensure that you're taking the next step in becoming your own person, not a product of antiquated religion.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Salaam

There is much to comment on here but the main thing I can comment on is that you have the wrong approach to religion but you haven't realised. A person does not agree or disagree with a religion based solely on subjectively moral issues, rather they affirm that the basis of the religion is correct or incorrect first before you look at rules.

Let's look at the time of revelation: the Prophet (SAW) spent the majority of his years in Mecca preaching Tawheed (the oneness of God) and the foundations of belief - this meant people's hearts softened to the message of Islam, and they developed the the understanding of reliance upon Allah and submitting to whatever He decreed and whatever the Prophet commanded thereby.
After they moved to Madinah, that is when the Islamic community had grown and their hearts were fertile soil to develop the rules and regulations of the Muslims - in the Quran, the verses which often mention rules state "Ahayu aladheena amaanu" - "O you who have believed" - showing that the rules are for those who were already firm in faith.

What I subsequently advise is you affirm the foundations of your belief - be confident that God exists, be confident that Islam is the religion of God, be confident that the Quran is the word of God, and when you are convinced that it is from Allah, then you don't need to worry if the finer rules are sexist or not or whatever. All of the topics you mention in the OP do not affect if Islam is the truth, rather they are topics that you just dont feel comfortable with, but they do not make Islam any less true. If these topics of subjective morality define whether you believe or not, then you have already conceded your belief in that you think your logic, understanding and personal morals are greater than those of your Creator who has rules in place because He is All Wise.

Build your faith from the bottom up (with the foundations), don't destroy it from the top down (with stuff that comes after belief like rules). May Allah guide you and us all.

I agree that shes ignoring the real issue which is whether Islam is true or not.However you're saying that if its true then she doesnt need to worry about it being sexist.Dont you see anything wrong with that.How about if it says in the quran that its ok to kill unbelievers?By your logic thats ok because Islam is true and God said it was ok.If Islam is sexist then its evidence that its not true because a perfect God wouldnt be sexist.Its much more likely to be written by man.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence you should remember that.For example muhhameds journey to heaven on a winged horse or Jesus's ressurection.The only evidence for that claim is that somebody,we dont even know who wrote it down in a book a long time ago. whats more likely to happen the laws of the entire universe suspend themselves for an hour or that a man lies.Men have been shown to lie all the time.The laws of physics have never stopped working even for a day.
Reply 55
Original post by sulaimanali
Islam isn't sexist to women..do more research. There's a reason for everything...do you know why (those things u listed above) are the way they are?

Islam isn't sexist to women?
Wow!
Im a girl, born and raised muslim and I too find some things about the religion not very pleasant i.e. the marriage side etc. But I have to admit I don't follow all aspects, I don't think Ive ever prayed 5 times a day nor do I wear a head scarf. I do though find comfort in being muslim.

It obviously about how you feel but when you do pray do you feel different? Even though I'm not overly religious I do feel different and happier after I do pray, even if its just a small dua at the end of the day. And for that reason I feel like I'd never leave Islam even though there are things that put me off about it. Overall I think its better to be muslim, it taught me so much and I feel like I would be a different person had I not been raised muslim.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't care what Buddhism is or was. Islam is the religion of peace. Period.
Original post by sulaimanali
I don't care what Buddhism is or was. Islam is the religion of peace. Period.

Islam is the religion of peace, except for the parts where they amputate those who fight Islam, oh and that bit where they kill ex-Muslims, other than that it's mostly a religion of peace.
Original post by Alan1980
I will say this in response to the above post. If you say the morality of marrying a 9 year old is unimportant as long as you have belief then that is barbaric. If Allah came to earth and stood next to me and spoke to me and proved that he was real I wouldnt follow him if he told me marrying a 9 year old was acceptable. Same for God, if he beamed down and proved he was real, told me that I'd be saved if only I sacrifice my first born son, I tell him to get lost.

Blind acceptance of the immoral is unforgivable. I don't care how omnipotent you are, tell me to marry a child or kill my children and you deserve nothing but a punch in the face.

Exactly, it's like switch off your brain, switch off your empathy, if this 'holy' book written by primitive superstitious barbarians says something is good then it must be good, even if it means raping children. Terrifying that people think like this.

Latest

Trending

Trending