The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Johnsmith345
ey everybody, I got an offer from Nottingham but I know that's I've missed it and got roughly bcc instead of the a*AA, I asked for deferred entry because of a placement at a high end bank as a junior advisor as part of my gap year? Do you think they would even consider to still give me my place or is is a long shot? Thank you for any replies in advance
Also my insurance was Warwick with AAA but I flopped this years exams so I don't really know what to do .. And advice would be great!

You don't have your results yet so you may have achieved higher than you think. However if you do have BBC then no University asking for A grades will accept you. You need to start researching Unis that are asking BBB/BBC for Law and looking at Clearing options (South Wales, East London, Coventry, Brighton), or thinking about applying for a different subject next year (most top Law courses will not accept resits).
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, yes my placement is full- time but from September to April, so I would have time to resit
I don't think I would do law at a non-Russell group university purely because of job prospects afterwards
I think my unis may let me resit due to exenuating circumstances (late ADHD diagnosis) and for applying for another course I'm just not sure where I would start to even think about different options
I guess I'll just have to keep my options open on results day and hope all goes to plan, even though I didn't even answer enough questions to get the marks in some papers and in others I totally lost the question, either stress or not enough revision, probably a mixture of both for which I only have myself to blame
Hey, I've got a quick question regarding a study abroad year, if I study abroad will it be English Law that I study or will I study something different? Thanks (Firmed Durham for 2016 entry)
I'm going to give Durham a call and see what they say
Original post by KRowland
Hey, I've got a quick question regarding a study abroad year, if I study abroad will it be English Law that I study or will I study something different? Thanks (Firmed Durham for 2016 entry)

It will be whatever Law units are available at the receiving University - ie. relevant to that country. The whole point of Study Abroad is that you widen your understanding and experience beyond your UK study, it isn't supposed to replicate a year at an English Uni (otherwise what would be the point in doing it). More information might be available on your intended Uni's website (search on 'Study Abroad'), or you could just email the dept. and ask.
I am a prospective international (non EU) student in my early thirties who wants to study Law as a senior status student in the United Kingdom. I applied to the following universities through UCAS and received the following corresponding offers:
1. University of Aberdeen - Conditional Offer
2. University of Leicester - Conditional Offer
3. University of Leeds - Unconditional Offer
4. University of Liverpool - Conditional Offer
5. University of Southampton - Unsuccessful

I have done some research on the above universities, and I have till 22nd July to make my final choice. I would like some opinions from fellow forummers about the schools i have chosen. Basically, I would like to know about the good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful about every university, largely based on experiences. I want to know which
of them is the best choice.

Initially, I was leaning towards Aberdeen due to its Scots Law and English Law Accelerated LLB, but now I am leaning towards Leicester and Leeds. So I just wanted some helpful opinions and extra input from others on the forum.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated
Thank You.
Do you mind letting us know what your GCSE/AS Level/A2 Predicitions were?
Original post by edemboi85
I am a prospective international (non EU) student in my early thirties who wants to study Law as a senior status student in the United Kingdom. I applied to the following universities through UCAS and received the following corresponding offers:
1. University of Aberdeen - Conditional Offer
2. University of Leicester - Conditional Offer
3. University of Leeds - Unconditional Offer
4. University of Liverpool - Conditional Offer
5. University of Southampton - Unsuccessful

I have done some research on the above universities, and I have till 22nd July to make my final choice. I would like some opinions from fellow forummers about the schools i have chosen. Basically, I would like to know about the good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful about every university, largely based on experiences. I want to know which
of them is the best choice.

Initially, I was leaning towards Aberdeen due to its Scots Law and English Law Accelerated LLB, but now I am leaning towards Leicester and Leeds. So I just wanted some helpful opinions and extra input from others on the forum.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated
Thank You.

Original post by Taylor J100

I have a USA high school diploma and have not done any GCSE or A level
Hi - so I have a question ...

I have a conditional place to study Law with French Law at KCL. However, I am unsure if I've made the conditions in my French. As I'm taking advanced highers my conditions are AA (and I sat 3). If I achieve AA in my other 2 AHs would I be able to swap to the Law llb course ?Or take a gap year and reapply again next year?

Have been very very very worried about this and any help is very very appreciated
Original post by Mon :)
Hi - so I have a question ...

I have a conditional place to study Law with French Law at KCL. However, I am unsure if I've made the conditions in my French. As I'm taking advanced highers my conditions are AA (and I sat 3). If I achieve AA in my other 2 AHs would I be able to swap to the Law llb course ?Or take a gap year and reapply again next year?

Have been very very very worried about this and any help is very very appreciated

This is a question that only KCL can answer - and they wont be able to tell you Yes/No at this stage anyway because they don't know anyone's SQA/A level results yet, and therefore what (if any) near misses/course changes they might accept.

PS. Its very common to worry about your results at this point and fear the worse. You can't do anything until you know your results - and the Uni will only make their decision then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JohnGreek
Probably not - I don't think that any top unis like Nottingham would be willing to take students who miss their offers for something as competitive for Law. Even if they did, I imagine that the very few places not met on Results Day would go to students who marginally missed them (say, by getting AAA).

I think that your position is particularly difficult because it's going to be harder for you to study, revise and resit your exams to get them up to an A*AA/AAA during your gap year (is your placement full or part time?). Ultimately, it may come down to you working your ass off during your gap year, or taking out a second year to re-do A-levels and get top grades to get back into the universities you have currently have offers from. You may also wish to consider what school-leavers' programmes your bank has in place, and whether you'd be interested in going straight into them instead of pursuing a Law degree

I've firmed an offer from Nottingham for AAA, so I think they would possibly accept that from students with an offer of A*AA but I'm 90% sure that I've completely messed my a levels up and won't get in even with that lower offer :frown:
Original post by CJaneH
I've firmed an offer from Nottingham for AAA, so I think they would possibly accept that from students with an offer of A*AA but I'm 90% sure that I've completely messed my a levels up and won't get in even with that lower offer

There will be a reason you got a lower offer - usually that you go to a lower performing school, or that you are taking a particular combo of subjects at A level. No-one should ever assume that they will 'get in' on lower grades than their offer, or that a Uni will take lower grades in Clearing, especially for Law and especially for a AAA+ course.

And PS, its very common to think you've messed up your grades at this stage - all that teenage bravado of 6 months ago and has been replaced by a more adult sense of reality. Actually most people will have done far better than they fear, and still be going to their Firm - so dont worry/panic.
Hello all. I am an aspiring law student just like all of you. I have made a new blog about social issues. Feel free to check it out and share it if you enjoy the contents of it. The website is philachange.wordpress.com.
Bello^^
Does anyone know if Warwick actually accepts any near-misses?
Original post by mint_chocolate
Bello^^
Does anyone know if Warwick actually accepts any near-misses?

As always this will depend on how many people fulfill their offer, how many spaces there are (if any) and how many better applicants come through Clearing or Adjustment. Like everyone else you'll just have to wait for Results Day.
Original post by returnmigrant
As always this will depend on how many people fulfill their offer, how many spaces there are (if any) and how many better applicants come through Clearing or Adjustment. Like everyone else you'll just have to wait for Results Day.

Thank you so much for your reply! I absolutely hate waiting for exam results!
Original post by Johnsmith345
ey everybody, I got an offer from Nottingham but I know that's I've missed it and got roughly bcc instead of the a*AA, I asked for deferred entry because of a placement at a high end bank as a junior advisor as part of my gap year? Do you think they would even consider to still give me my place or is is a long shot? Thank you for any replies in advance
Also my insurance was Warwick with AAA but I flopped this years exams so I don't really know what to do .. And advice would be great!

Hi! I think you should ask them whether they would keep you the place in case you're doing retakes. I had an offer for 38 points in IB and a 5 in english HL, I missed my offer by 2 points but with a 6 in english and I got in. I also asked them for a deferral after receiving an offer for this year and they agreed. So I think as long as you have a good reason they will still consider you. Just ask them. Good luck :smile:
Original post by neveily
Hi! I think you should ask them whether they would keep you the place in case you're doing retakes. I had an offer for 38 points in IB and a 5 in english HL, I missed my offer by 2 points but with a 6 in english and I got in. I also asked them for a deferral after receiving an offer for this year and they agreed. So I think as long as you have a good reason they will still consider you. Just ask them. Good luck :smile:

There is no point in contacting any University with 'what if' questions. They will not make any decisions until they have all the A level results. It really is that simple.

No University will 'hold' an offer or place while you do retakes - if you dont make the grades for your offer this year, that offer disappears and you will have to reapply.
I got an offer to study law at Exeter! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending