The Student Room Group

Has anyone resat Core Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack_Tomlin
By looking at the markschemes this is a rough estimate.....

Biology: 27/60
Chemistry: 32-35/60
Physics: Not sure probably D/E

Using last year's UMS boundaries, provided you have got a grade (above a U) in Physics, you should be fine for a C. (you'll need roughly 25 UMS, that's below an E) Note that the grade boundaries may slightly differ, but they don't vary too much from year to year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by _gcx
Using last year's UMS boundaries, provided you have got a grade (above a U) in Physics, you should be fine for a C. (you'll need roughly 25 UMS, that's below an E) Note that the grade boundaries may slightly differ, but they don't vary too much from year to year.

Ok thanks I know you cant really say but is it more likely that ill get a c or b overall?

By the sound of it it seems I have got a C

And if I did get a U in physics could I still get a c?
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok thanks I know you cant really say but is it more likely that ill get a c or b overall?

By the sound of it it seems I have got a C

Probably a C, you'll need a B in Physics to get a B overall, or a C, depending on what your mark in the CA was.
Reply 23
Original post by _gcx
Probably a C, you'll need a B in Physics to get a B overall, or a C, depending on what your mark in the CA was.

I got 48/60 in my controlled assessment and that was an A

Sorry for bothering you im just nervous as this is the first gcse I have taken. So even if I did get a U in physics I could still get a C right?
I got 48/60 in my controlled assessment and that was an A

Sorry for bothering you im just nervous as this is the first gcse I have taken. So even if I did get a U in physics I could still get a C right?

48/60? The controlled assessment is out of 48 or 50, depending on whether you're doing triple or not.

To answer the question: probably. It's typically in the single figures for an E, and normally just above 10-ish for a D, so you don't give up all hope :smile: Have you looked at the markscheme and counted up your marks for Physics?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by _gcx
48/60? The controlled assessment is out of 48 or 50, depending on whether you're doing triple or not.

The converter I'm using doesn't display the UMS scores below an E -- i'm unsure if below 40% UMS goes straight to E. To answer the question: probably. It's typically in the single figures for an E, and normally just above 10-ish for a D, so you don't give up all hope :smile: Have you looked at the markscheme and counted up your marks for Physics?

I really couldnt tell you that exam was just soo hard for me and many others.

I dont understand this ums business??? So does it mean that I wont even get a c if i done bad in physics?
I really couldnt tell you that exam was just soo hard for me and many others.

I dont understand this ums business??? So does it mean that I wont even get a c if i done bad in physics?

UMS is what your raw mark is converted to. It is to ensure that the weighting desired by the exam board, ie. 25% per science and 25% for the controlled assessment, is applied, and that each grade represents similar performance to that grade last year, and the year before. Basically ensuring that all Bs/Cs represent the same level of achievement from year to year. With your last question: I was converting it incorrectly. You'd need at least 5 or 6 marks in Physics to get a C overall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
I done higher.....
Reply 28
Original post by _gcx
UMS is what your raw mark is converted to. It is to ensure that the weighting desired by the exam board, ie. 25% per science and 25% for the controlled assessment, is applied, and that each grade represents similar performance to that grade last year, and the year before. Basically ensuring that all Bs/Cs represent the same level of achievement from year to year. With your last question: I was converting it incorrectly. You'd need at least 5 marks in Physics to get a C overall.

Im certain I got at least 5 marks! I hope :smile:

Thanks for your help.

I hope when I look at my results slip I can see my marks for each science as well as my grade.
Reply 29
If you have only come here to criticise people and their grades then just leave. This is a forum, I don't have to write an essay. You should not just assume that I had done the foundation paper its just ignorant.
Reply 30
Ok thank you. But as I said you shouldn't just assume things when you have no idea of what I am capable of in science.
Yea I have resat Core Science. Damn that was a long time ago.

I did it in year 10 and came out with 3 A's in all 3 sciences (I don't say that out of arrogance by the way, if it helps I ****ed up extension science lol), yet they called it 'core'. I wanted to do science at A level so I thought it would be best to get grades for the individual sciences (Biology, physics, chemistry) rather than (Core, Additional and Extension). In all honesty, if you're not going to do science at A level I wouldn't bother retaking, and even at B grades you can still probably get into whatever course you want to do. By retaking, I was put through 9 science exams, 3 pieces of coursework, in one year lol. Wasn't as bad as I though though.

Anyway, I'm going on here now. I did science at A level, chemistry and biology. In all honesty, I'm no longer a fan of the sciences, rather business and economics. Weird but everyone changes their passions once in awhile. Also, A level science I pretty much suck at lol.

Also, to the GCSE kids criticizing people for doing foundation, you higher lot are the foundation to me! Seriously, stop with your arrogance about whatever level you do. Everyone is different with respects to what they're good at. It is that arrogance and snobby attitude you hold which will undoubtedly lead you nowhere in life. Just focus on your own results and what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest