The Student Room Group

Grade Boundary Predictions [OCR AQA EDEXCEL] [SUBMIT YOUR OWN]

Feel free to post your own verdicts.
I have thought of this list for a long time, and wished to post this for the benefit of other users.
Note this is paper 1 only.

OCR BREADTH (OUT OF 70)
A 53
B 46
C 40
D 34
E 28
U 0

AQA CHEM1 (OUT OF 70)
A 55
B 48
C 42
D 34
E 28
U 0

EDEXCEL PAPER 1 [8CH0/01? - CORRECT IF MISTAKEN] (OUT OF 80)
A 60
B 53
C 47
D 41
E 35
U 0

ALL THESE ARE BASED ON SKEWS OF GRADE BOUNDARIES OVER PREVIOUS SERIES. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THESE AS CONCRETE.

THEY SHOULD BE LOWER AS TO NEWER SPECIFICATIONS BUT DO NOT CONSULT THIS MATTER UNTIL BOUNDARIES ARE PUBLISHED AFTER THE EXAMS.

Good luck!
Nwmyname.

Scroll to see replies

I can only speak for edexcel but I'd say (/80):

A- 61

B- 54

C- 48

D- 42

E- 36
Reply 2
Original post by nwmyname
Feel free to post your own verdicts.
I have thought of this list for a long time, and wished to post this for the benefit of other users.
Note this is paper 1 only.

OCR BREADTH (OUT OF 70)
A 53
B 46
C 40
D 34
E 28
U 0

AQA CHEM1 (OUT OF 70)
A 55
B 48
C 42
D 34
E 28
U 0

EDEXCEL PAPER 1 [8CH0/01? - CORRECT IF MISTAKEN] (OUT OF 80)
A 60
B 53
C 47
D 41
E 35
U 0

ALL THESE ARE BASED ON SKEWS OF GRADE BOUNDARIES OVER PREVIOUS SERIES. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THESE AS CONCRETE.

THEY SHOULD BE LOWER AS TO NEWER SPECIFICATIONS BUT DO NOT CONSULT THIS MATTER UNTIL BOUNDARIES ARE PUBLISHED AFTER THE EXAMS.

Good luck!
Nwmyname.

Is this for Chemistry? If it is, then I think the grade boundaries for OCR Breadth in Chemistry is;

A - 54
B - 48
C - 42
D - 35
E - 29
Is this GCSE? or AS or A-Level?
Reply 4
Original post by sulaimanali
Is this GCSE? or AS or A-Level?

AS
Reply 5
Original post by oni176
Is this for Chemistry? If it is, then I think the grade boundaries for OCR Breadth in Chemistry is;

A - 54
B - 48
C - 42
D - 35
E - 29

I think they will be lower because of the failure of students in the MCQ's
depth?
AQA Maths (A-level)

Core 3
55 - A*
50 - A
45 - B
39 - C

Core 4
63 - A*
58 - A
52 - B
47 - C

Statistics 1
64 - A
59 - B
54 - C
Reply 8
I think they will be lower because of the failure of students in the MCQ's

What is your grade boundary prediction for Paper 2 -Depth in Chemistry & both papers for Biology?
Reply 9
Original post by oni176
What is your grade boundary prediction for Paper 2 -Depth in Chemistry & both papers for Biology?

Chemistry is in a separate thread.

OCR BIOLOGY DEPTH (OUT OF 70)
A 49
B 42
C 36
D 32
E 24
U 0

People did much worse.
I know that exam boards will add marks to some papers so that they can get the required skew that Ofqual are looking for, but not by much. Say 3/4 marks extra.

A 49
B 42
C 36
D 32
E 24
U 0

People did much worse.
I know that exam boards will add marks to some papers so that they can get the required skew that Ofqual are looking for, but not by much. Say 3/4 marks extra.

What about breadth
Reply 11
Original post by ronnydandam
What about breadth

First post of this thread.
First post of this thread.

ohhh thought that was for chemistry, my bad
Reply 13

A 49
B 42
C 36
D 32
E 24
U 0

People did much worse.

I also didn't like the Depth paper. Hopefully they will add a few marks but are you certain that nationally students did not perform well? I can understand the case because the new specification has higher expectations with rigorous marking.
Reply 14
Original post by oni176
I also didn't like the Depth paper. Hopefully they will add a few marks but are you certain that nationally students did not perform well? I can understand the case because the new specification has higher expectations with rigorous marking.

I am most sure.
Everyone I have spoken to didn't like either exam, and upon further reflection don't think it suits them.
I know for sure all linear subjects are low performance exams.
Think of maths GCSE Edexcel - that's linear and the grade boundaries were low for 2015, although that is because it is GCSE.

I can't think of many other linear exams in my head (maybe Religious Studies) but for sure I know that the linear A-levels will be performed badly as people won't have the time to know individually where they go wrong in certain areas in the same way you could analyse that for a modular exam.

You sort of get what I'm talking about?
I am most sure.
Everyone I have spoken to didn't like either exam, and upon further reflection don't think it suits them.
Think of maths GCSE Edexcel - that's linear and the grade boundaries were low for 2015, although that is because it is GCSE.

I can't think of many other linear exams in my head (maybe Religious Studies) but for sure I know that the linear A-levels will be performed badly as people won't have the time to know individually where they go wrong in certain areas in the same way you could analyse that for a modular exam.

yeah agreed, I found the depth paper to be super ambiguous and just awful tbh, breadth was kind of easy though
Reply 16
Original post by ronnydandam
yeah agreed, I found the depth paper to be super ambiguous and just awful tbh, breadth was kind of easy though

Breath was easy tbh for what you expect, but the Multiple-Choice questions are gonna hurt people, plus those that don't really understand organic chemistry.
I mean pathways are gonna be difficult for people that don't really know what the principles are, and le chatlier's principle is gonna be more difficult for long writers.

If MCQs are 20 marks and Le Chaliers are 3/4 marks, then I guess the grade boundaries for an A should be around 50 or less.

Note that 20% of the population that took the exam should minimum should be an A, based on previous statistics they released of previous exams, and they were all old-spec exams.
Reply 17
I am most sure.

I certainly agree with you. Linear exams are usually difficult and the GCSE Edexcel is a very good example. The grade boundary should be low this year in particular because this is something new being introduced to A-level examinations.
Reply 18
Breath was easy tbh for what you expect, but the Multiple-Choice questions are gonna hurt people, plus those that don't really understand organic chemistry.
I mean pathways are gonna be difficult for people that don't really know what the principles are, and le chatlier's principle is gonna be more difficult for long writers.

If MCQs are 20 marks and Le Chaliers are 3/4 marks, then I guess the grade boundaries for an A should be around 50 or less.

Note that 20% of the population that took the exam should minimum should be an A, based on previous statistics they released of previous exams, and they were all old-spec exams.

This year should be low in particular as it is something new being introduced to A-level examinations. Old spec at least was based on units where students had to revise a specific section for their exams. Our both papers tested our knowledge on everything being thought.

wait we're talking about chemistry? Both were the same in difficulty to me, both good ish. I meant bio

Quick Reply

Latest