The Student Room Group

Should I still apply for dentistry if im not sure

Okay so I'm applying for dentistry in september, but i'm still not sure its what I want to do. I've given it a lot of thought and done work experience and I like it and everything but I dont know if I can see myself doing it. When I think about doing something else I just come back to dentistry. Idk is it worth applying even if I feel like this? Has anyone else gone through this?
Reply 1
Its a very big decision to make.
Unlike many degrees, studying dentistry will give you the opportunity to work in a very specific field... Dentistry.
Theres not realy much flexibility. In addition, even if you decided that you wouldn't wish to see pateints etc in the long run and perhaps go into research etc, you will regardless have to see patients throughout dental school and in your foundation years.

Dentistry is an amazing career and immensely rewarding. Though there is no doubt, its not for all.

Have a good think, perhaps talk to your dentist for advice or try work experience in another pratice.

Regardless, I hope you make the right decision. If you have any questions feel free to message me in private if you wish.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Anyone a graduate in nursing, bio med , or health course looking to apply , I'm in my third year of nursing and really want to do dentistry would looove some advice please x
Reply 3
Original post by D.I.Prep
Its a very big decision to make.
Unlike many degrees, studying dentistry will give you the opportunity to work in a very specific field... Dentistry.
Theres not realy much flexibility. In addition, even if you decided that you wouldn't wish to see pateints etc in the long run and perhaps go into research etc, you will regardless have to see patients throughout dental school and in your foundation years.

Dentistry is an amazing career and immensely rewarding. Though there is no doubt, its not for all.

Have a good think, perhaps talk to your dentist for advice or try work experience in another pratice.

Regardless, I hope you make the right decision. If you have any questions feel free to message me in private if you wish.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying. Yeah I'm currently doing work experience and I'm having mixed emotions. Are you a dental student? How did you know when you made the right decision?
Reply 4
Yeah im a dental student.
I wanted to study something science and people orientated.
If I'm honest I also considered medicine. I ended up picking dentistry. Many of my friends admit they didn't really have a passion for Dentistry untill they started dental school and seeing patients.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by D.I.Prep
Yeah im a dental student.
I wanted to study something science and people orientated.
If I'm honest I also considered medicine. I ended up picking dentistry. Many of my friends admit they didn't really have a passion for Dentistry untill they started dental school and seeing patients.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm what was that thing that caused you to pick dentistry though, like what pushed you. I feel like I need that push but idk what that is lol. But thanks anyway though :smile:)
Reply 6
Original post by AKK6199
Hmm what was that thing that caused you to pick dentistry though, like what pushed you. I feel like I need that push but idk what that is lol. But thanks anyway though :smile:)

I guess initially a combination between:
Science, working with people, able to see my own patients, directly impacting someones life on a daily basis, financial stability and job security.

Quick Reply