The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechem1
well done! Do you have any tips for QR? I am quite confident with my maths skills however it all goes to pot when I am put under pressure during the ukcat conditions.

Assess the question and if it looks like its going to take ages to figure out then guess flag and move on. Last year I got bogged down in trying to make sure that I answered each question correctly on initial presentation. I didn't do that this year and my score went up massively.
Original post by Medici103
Assess the question and if it looks like its going to take ages to figure out then guess flag and move on. Last year I got bogged down in trying to make sure that I answered each question correctly on initial presentation. I didn't do that this year and my score went up massively.

So if the required method isnt immediately (a couple of seconds) obvious then you'd suggest a guess and a flag? My strongest section is VR and my weakest is AR so quantative is going to be the deal breaker when it comes to working out my average!

What work experience will you have by October if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by thechem1
So if the required method isnt immediately (a couple of seconds) obvious then you'd suggest a guess and a flag? My strongest section is VR and my weakest is AR so quantative is going to be the deal breaker when it comes to working out my average!

What work experience will you have by October if you dont mind me asking?

Yes. Guess and flag. You're in the same position as I was. Can't do AR for toffee but VR is fine. I wasn't hopeful about QR but the guess and flag seemed to work today as QR was my best section despite not properly finishing the questions. The last 5 or 6 I clicked the same letter for the answer as I figured I had a 1/4 chance of getting it right!

As for work experience, I work as an HCA so I can afford to eat during my MSc. I also did shadowing in a hospital and with a GP but I'm a bit worried about it as it was Aug/Sept 2014 so it's possible that it won't be accepted. Haven't had time to squidge anything else in this year what with work and my masters. I'm a STEM ambassador but i don't know if that will count either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty similar work experience situation to me! I'm currently working 24 hours per week as a HCA and have 2 weeks shadowing on a trauma unit but that was in 2013!
I called up Warwick and asked would it still be considered and whether it would be useful for me to reflect on and they said I'd have to speak to the head of medical admissions who I have no chance of getting in contact with anytime soon!
Reply 44
Thank goodness for that! 760 in VR so they can focus on that all they like!

Someone advised me to look at the non-test shapes first to identify patterns without bias from having looked at the test pattern. Maybe try that. I will admit that I had intended to use this strategy but tactics went out of the window whilst I sat there.

Original post by Hugh Laurie
ugh i can only hope the 17-18 year olds give me a hand and drag the national average down to previous years figures ^^

for AR, it helps to focus on the simplest looking box, and systematically going through possible rules by confirming with neighboring boxes (and then the rest). also after so much medify/1000Q its easy to overthink patterns, do not overlook the simplest rules and it should go fine!

Thanks for the advice guys

Its crazy though, I could barely do any of the type 1 ques in the ISC book and I just started medify today and AR is now my strongest topic...:colondollar:
I've got the UKCAT on Tuesday and was preparing pretty intensely until my aunt got told she had cancer on Wednesday and I'm now back into prep mode after 3 days of doing absolutely nothing. I've already delayed the UKCAT once so I don't want to do it again. And I need to focus on GAMSAT after because I'm applying to 3 GAMSAT unis. I doubt my UKCAT score will be any good.

I doubt I'll be getting into med school this cycle anyway. My HCA job got delayed so my experience is limited although I've got over 500 hours of experience since most of it was in my optical assistant job.

Is the 1000Q book harder than the real thing?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I've got the UKCAT on Tuesday and was preparing pretty intensely until my aunt got told she had cancer on Wednesday and I'm now back into prep mode after 3 days of doing absolutely nothing. I've already delayed the UKCAT once so I don't want to do it again. And I need to focus on GAMSAT after because I'm applying to 3 GAMSAT unis. I doubt my UKCAT score will be any good.

I doubt I'll be getting into med school this cycle anyway. My HCA job got delayed so my experience is limited although I've got over 500 hours of experience since most of it was in my optical assistant job.

Is the 1000Q book harder than the real thing?

sorry to hear about your aunt. as with Medify and the official mocks, ive found VR to be similar in difficulty to the real exam, and QR/AR to be a fair bit harder than the real thing. best of luck with your exams!
sorry to hear about your aunt. as with Medify and the official mocks, ive found VR to be similar in difficulty to the real exam, and QR/AR to be a fair bit harder than the real thing. best of luck with your exams!

thanks.

I'm fine with verbal reasoning. But with abstract reasoning, I'm either doing really well on a question or really bad. With quantitative reasoning, I can't do the calculations fast enough.
thanks.

I'm fine with verbal reasoning. But with abstract reasoning, I'm either doing really well on a question or really bad. With quantitative reasoning, I can't do the calculations fast enough.

i gave myself double the allocated time to do the ISC1000Q QR questions. theres no point adhering to the official time knowing the questions are much harder (multi-steps or very convoluted/wordy). focus on quickly identifying the method ie what kind of calculations are needed, and ensure you have the basics down (% change etc), these will help you in the real exam.

AR is a lot easier in the real exam, too. but overpreparing with ISC1000/Medify was still helpful. i found it useful to list all the possible patterns in each category (Shape, Colour, Angle, Number, Sides, Arrangement, Symmetry, Intersections) that I couldnt do instantly from the practice sets. It helps you remember the more complex patterns and to realise that there arent that many patterns overall.
thanks.

If it were me I would rebook for a later date. It will give you some time to practice getting quicker at the qr, and also give you time for your head to be back in the game so to speak.
i gave myself double the allocated time to do the ISC1000Q QR questions. theres no point adhering to the official time knowing the questions are much harder (multi-steps or very convoluted/wordy). focus on quickly identifying the method ie what kind of calculations are needed, and ensure you have the basics down (% change etc), these will help you in the real exam.

AR is a lot easier in the real exam, too. but overpreparing with ISC1000/Medify was still helpful. i found it useful to list all the possible patterns in each category (Shape, Colour, Angle, Number, Sides, Arrangement, Symmetry, Intersections) that I couldnt do instantly from the practice sets. It helps you remember the more complex patterns and to realise that there arent that many patterns overall.

Yeah i noticed by timing was awful with the 1000q book. especially with QR.

AR seems like the stupidest thing ever. I mean, the shape has three sides so it's going to move 3 spaces along and has an odd number of right angles so it's only going to move up one space is the hardest bloody thing to think of when you have 35 seconds.

If it were me I would rebook for a later date. It will give you some time to practice getting quicker at the qr, and also give you time for your head to be back in the game so to speak.

I've just rebooked and bought the medify thingy.

It's now for friday so I have like 3 extra days. I might be regretting it though. It's in London so now i have to take public transport. And I hate public transport. Especially the Underground. EDIT; I've delayed it by a couple of weeks. No way I''m going all the way to London with an injured foot. But now it's at 9am.
(edited 7 years ago)

AR seems like the stupidest thing ever. I mean, the shape has three sides so it's going to move 3 spaces along and has an odd number of right angles so it's only going to move up one space is the hardest bloody thing to think of when you have 35 seconds.

I've just rebooked and bought the medify thingy.

It's now for friday so I have like 3 extra days. I might be regretting it though. It's in London so now i have to take public transport. And I hate public transport. Especially the Underground. EDIT; I've delayed it by a couple of weeks. No way I''m going all the way to London with an injured foot. But now it's at 9am.

At least you have a bit more time. This is my 5th application cycle and I've taken the UKCAT at different times and tbh it didn't make a jot of difference. Using medify and knowing my weaker areas to work on, however, that seems to have made all the difference this year.
At least you have a bit more time. This is my 5th application cycle and I've taken the UKCAT at different times and tbh it didn't make a jot of difference. Using medify and knowing my weaker areas to work on, however, that seems to have made all the difference this year.

I'm not sure I have that much extra time to be honest. I'm behind on studying for the GAMSAT already.

I've been using Medify for around an hour and a half now and I've noticed I seem to be much faster on the computer. With VR, I'm getting through most passages within 90 seconds, QR is taking me a little longer at around 150 seconds and AR at around 90-110 seconds.

Did you take them at particular times during the day?

Hope you get in this year.
I'm not sure I have that much extra time to be honest. I'm behind on studying for the GAMSAT already.

I've been using Medify for around an hour and a half now and I've noticed I seem to be much faster on the computer. With VR, I'm getting through most passages within 90 seconds, QR is taking me a little longer at around 150 seconds and AR at around 90-110 seconds.

Did you take them at particular times during the day?

Hope you get in this year.

I am generally better in the afternoon but previous pm scores were still rubbish. Maybe it's because I did it on a week day instead of a weekend. Who knows.
Reply 54

This is sooooo true!!! **
I am generally better in the afternoon but previous pm scores were still rubbish. Maybe it's because I did it on a week day instead of a weekend. Who knows.

I'm going to have to adjust my sleeping patterns so I can wake up by 4am on the day and not feel so foggy on the test day. My brain takes at least two hours to start.

Is it true that Warwick don't look at Situational Judgement?
Reply 56
I'm going to have to adjust my sleeping patterns so I can wake up by 4am on the day and not feel so foggy on the test day. My brain takes at least two hours to start.

Is it true that Warwick don't look at Situational Judgement?

Yes, Warwick don't look at SJT, and it's the only one i get band 1 in without practicing.*:frown:
Original post by 123ash
Yes, Warwick don't look at SJT, and it's the only one i get band 1 in without practicing.*:frown:

Lol

I'm so glad. I'm really not that good with situational judgement.

I hope I do well in the UKCAT just so I can at least have a reason to go to the open day. Warwick's the one I'm most keen to get into too.
Lol

I hope I do well in the UKCAT just so I can at least have a reason to go to the open day. Warwick's the one I'm most keen to get into too.

where else are you thinking of applying?
Reply 59
Lol

Hahaha, I went to Warwick Open Day and it seriously seems like great Medical School. The open day was very well planned too, with great teasers. It kind of seemed like the introduction day, with lecturers giving an introduction to modules taught, alongside student perspective. I really enjoyed it!

Good luck with your UKCAT

Latest

Trending

Trending