UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saudkhan2508
Guys just done mock 1 on medify
got 26/44 for VR
24/36 for QR
46/55 for AR
and 42/69 for SJT.....

what does ya'll think of this score.....is it representative of real thing...? thank you for any replies :bban::banana2::bl:

Its a really good score! I'm not sure if its representative of the real thing, as I'm taking my test next week. Using the kaplan book scoring system, you have achieved about 630 in VR, 670 in QR and 800 in AR. well done!
Original post by bluebell786
Its a really good score! I'm not sure if its representative of the real thing, as I'm taking my test next week. Using the kaplan book scoring system, you have achieved about 630 in VR, 670 in QR and 800 in AR. well done!

Oh wow thats not bad :banana::bban:.....though i think i need to improve on QR the other two im quiet satisfied with.....thank you again for your help....im taking mine next week as well...whens yours..? mines on 4th
Original post by Optimistsan98
720 is an amazing average....I would be over the moon if I got that score..
Do you have any tips for abstract and quantitative reasoning?

For abstract, try not to read into it too much otherwise you'll risk missing really simple patterns. I'm sure you've heard this before but I cannot stress enough how important timing is in ar, make sure you flag questions that you don't get straight away to optimise your time. For quantitative I made full use of the whiteboard and just worked as fast as I could. DM was a really good warm up for qr so don't discredit it's value too early on! Hope that helps and good luck :smile:
Original post by Yazmin123
that's really good! how much work did you do for it?

I started prep around mid June, literally the moment AS exams finished! But it wasn't solid hours each day because of school commitments etc, I'd say on average an hour each day (bearing in mind some days I didn't do any prep and others I did full mocks).
Original post by spacedoc98
For abstract, try not to read into it too much otherwise you'll risk missing really simple patterns. I'm sure you've heard this before but I cannot stress enough how important timing is in ar, make sure you flag questions that you don't get straight away to optimise your time. For quantitative I made full use of the whiteboard and just worked as fast as I could. DM was a really good warm up for qr so don't discredit it's value too early on! Hope that helps and good luck :smile:

Thank you so much for the tips...good luck to you too.
If you don't mind me asking are you in year 12 or year 13?
Reply 1065
Original post by mliela
I did mine last year. I started with a book 600 questions which I think is now called the 1000 questions book. I then used MEDIFY for two or three weeks. I'd say that MEDIFY is definitely one of the best resources and it's pretty affordable. Also try and fit in the official website mock tests as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second this. The 1000Q book has some (really diffiucult) questions, but its main benefit is to teach you key skills and ways to go about the questions.

After that its a matter of doing as many questions as possible, and for that, medify is defnitely VERY good! When I used it, I think I bought a weeks membership or something like that and jsut crammed it all in that week
Thank you so much for the tips...good luck to you too.
If you don't mind me asking are you in year 12 or year 13?
No problem! I'm in Year 12, going into Year 13 this September
No problem! I'm in Year 12, going into Year 13 this September

Oh ok...good luck for year 13!!:smile:
Oh ok...good luck for year 13!!:smile:

Thank you, I sure need it, our A levels are difficult lol-are you starting yr 13 too?
Thank you, I sure need it, our A levels are difficult lol-are you starting yr 13 too?

No I finished year 13. I am taking a gap year. Lmao all A levels are difficult I'm afraid to say. But study hard and I'm sure you will be fine.
No I finished year 13. I am taking a gap year. Lmao all A levels are difficult I'm afraid to say. But study hard and I'm sure you will be fine.

Ahh ok I realise that, sorry! And thanks, I hope you enjoy your gap year and good luck with everything (again!) :smile:
Ahh ok I realise that, sorry! And thanks, I hope you enjoy your gap year and good luck with everything (again!) :smile:

Noo probs lol! Thank youuuu! Gl to you to...
Original post by Natalierm2707
Generally anything over 700 is always a good score. Remember tsr is not very representative of the scores of everyone taking the test.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see you used emedica. Useful or not?
Anyone have any input on the relative difficulty of VR in the ISC book/ medify/ the real thing? I've mostly been going by the ISC book and I always struggled, taking 3 minutes rather than 2 to assimilate the text and answer everything (even taking into account that they ask extra questions; I'd only attempt 4). Today I tried medify for the first time and did much better, even being able to recall most answers from the text without needing to check. I swear the articles are shorter on medify. Which do you think is closer to the real thing?
Original post by Chikkinn
Anyone have any input on the relative difficulty of VR in the ISC book/ medify/ the real thing? I've mostly been going by the ISC book and I always struggled, taking 3 minutes rather than 2 to assimilate the text and answer everything (even taking into account that they ask extra questions; I'd only attempt 4). Today I tried medify for the first time and did much better, even being able to recall most answers from the text without needing to check. I swear the articles are shorter on medify. Which do you think is closer to the real thing?

Medify is closer to the real thing. ISC is very difficult.
Original post by Gogregg

is the AR of medify like the real thing?
Original post by Gogregg

You've just made my month if that's the case. I thought I'd unknowingly been a uselessly slow reader my whole life...
Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy the Kaplan booklet that you get when you attend the £330 course since I can't afford to actually attend. So if you have already done your UKCAT so have no more need for it, and also are looking to make some easy cash - PM me :wink:

Thanks!

(P.S. it can be the 2015 or the 2016 edition idm)
Original post by Chikkinn

Regarding QR and AR do you also feel that it is easier to do on medify compared to the ISC's book questions?
Original post by JayP454
Regarding QR and AR do you also feel that it is easier to do on medify compared to the ISC's book questions?

I actually only started with medify today, and only looked at VR so far. I do remember someone saying AR on medify was too easy, but I'll report back in a few days when I've got an opinion of my own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending