The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ronnydandam
is the AR of medify like the real thing?

It's somewhat more difficult, since it tends to have multiple relationships, as opposed to just one. That said, it's a very good resource to use, and generally, if you can do them, you can do the ones in the actual test

Original post by Chikkinn
You've just made my month if that's the case. I thought I'd unknowingly been a uselessly slow reader my whole life...

Personally, i would say that the VR was the most similar to the actual thing in the ISC book (sorry!). Currently, just don't bother with timing yourself and just hone your technique. Practise skim reading!
Original post by Gogregg

Personally, i would say that the VR was the most similar to the actual thing in the ISC book (sorry!). Currently, just don't bother with timing yourself and just hone your technique. Practise skim reading!

Oh. That's unfortunate. :tongue: I already finished the ISC book's VR section and am still sitting at around 3 minutes per text. Plus I'm already quite comfortable with medify's standard so I don't think that'll improve me much. Probably did them the wrong way around!
Original post by Gogregg
It's somewhat more difficult, since it tends to have multiple relationships, as opposed to just one. That said, it's a very good resource to use, and generally, if you can do them, you can do the ones in the actual test

In terms of the comprehension type questions what technique do you use? I find it inefficient for myself to go through each of the options and then find which one matches the text the most, because I would be going back and forth between the text and the options which wastes time as well, meaning I go way over time:bawling:
Original post by JayP454
In terms of the comprehension type questions what technique do you use? I find it inefficient for myself to go through each of the options and then find which one matches the text the most, because I would be going back and forth between the text and the options which wastes time as well, meaning I go way over time:bawling:

For T/F/CT guess CT, and then start finding the answer, just skim read it as fast possible, but try not to miss information. Also, read the question properly and make sure you answer what is actually being asked!

With the worded answer questions, guess your best answer and then compare to the actual passage, yet again, skim read quickly. I don't really have the best tips for this, just prescribe, really, and you should improve.

The VR seems to have an element of luck to it, so you either get good passages, or bad ones. Just bear in mind, that VR tend to be most people's worst section, so if you feel your underperforming in that section, you're not the only one :h:

I hoped that helped, but really everyone has their techniques for VR, they work for some, not for others, find what works for you, and you should be alright.
Hi,
For the AR, does anyone think that it would be possible for there to be an alternate relationship to the answer given or is it only possible for there to be one relationship?
Original post by rose1234
Hi,
For the AR, does anyone think that it would be possible for there to be an alternate relationship to the answer given or is it only possible for there to be one relationship?

The questions are such that there can only be one answer
Original post by Whoknowswhy
The questions are such that there can only be one answer

I meant in the sense of the relationship between the shape (is it only possible for there to be one / can there be an alternate one) whilst arriving at the answer of either Set A,B or neither ?
Hey guys,

Any tips for the QR apart from 'flag the hard ones and come back?'
Really struggling

Has anyone had any success stories where they've gone from being really **** at QR to getting a great score? Need some inspo about to give up ahah
Any one able to offer any decent advice for VR comprehension questions? I can do T/F/CT questions fine, but I'm getting between 0-2 on the comprehension questions on medify atm, especially under timed conditions
Hi would anyone be able to help me with these 3 QR questions? Really struggling to understand these questions

image.jpeg
Attachment not found
Original post by saudkhan2508
Oh wow thats not bad :banana::bban:.....though i think i need to improve on QR the other two im quiet satisfied with.....thank you again for your help....im taking mine next week as well...whens yours..? mines on 4th

mines the 6th, I hope it goes well! good luck!
Hi guys.

For people who already took the ukcat, I was wondering if DM (subtest) is done at the end or is it expected after QR like before.

Many thanks Vara
DM happens after VR.
Original post by varabala
Hi guys.

For people who already took the ukcat, I was wondering if DM (subtest) is done at the end or is it expected after QR like before.

Many thanks Vara

It's the second section you do, after VR :smile:
how do the official ukcat mocks compare to the actual test? the official ones r awful.......
Is the QR on medify similar to the actual UKCAT test? I find some of the questions hard - and there aren't that many to practise. What are people using to prepare for QR?
Original post by keenlimabean
Is the QR on medify similar to the actual UKCAT test? I find some of the questions hard - and there aren't that many to practise. What are people using to prepare for QR?

It's generally a bit harder. The questions tend to have more data, and with the ambiguous phrasing of the questions and the occasional spelling mistake, they are more difficult.

That doesn't mean that your actual thing will be easier, though. Prepare for the worst, and you should be able to do your best.
Does anyone know if you can extend your Medify subscription a few weeks after it has expired or if the extension has to be straight after it expires.
Original post by groovygrace143
As its not counted, do we even have to revise for it?

It will not count towards your score at all, so no you dont need to revise for it.
Okay so I cannot do this test. If I have all the time in the world, I'd probably get full marks on verbal and quantitative, but I CANT do abstract reasoning, I really really can't. I was doing practice from the 1000 qs book and I find them fine, but the ones on the practice tests are too hard, I can't see any patterns whatsoever can anyone help meeee

Quick Reply

Latest