The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just when I start to think positive I come across this to prove my point

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3716280/Yes-boys-sex-slaves-Outrage-British-Muslim-cleric-mosque-Cardiff-jihadis-radicalised-tells-teenagers-captives-permissible-Islam.html

Yes it is Daily fail article. But this practice IS permissible, almost all scholars agree on it. What scares me is that this is technically rape. I'm just so confused.
If God is fair, merciful and just then why would he allow this?
Original post by Robby2312
If God isnt benevolent then whats the point in worshipping him?You say you would expect God to be merciful and Just but is it just or merciful to punish people infinitely for finite crimes.The fact that God is often shown to be angry or jealous in religous books shows that humans are just projecting their emotions onto God.If god actually existed he wouldnt be so petty.Man created god not the other way around.My point was obvious.Its much more likely a man lied about a miracle that broke the laws of physics than that the laws of physics were actually broken.Weve seen men lie all time.Ive never seen a miracle occur.

What standards/axioms are you using for your point about God being unjust for punishing infinitely for finite crimes? How do you know for sure this is unjust?

I could say I think a judge sentencing a murderer to life in prison is unjust and he should instead be given 2 weeks community service. Does it mean the judge is unjust because I disagree with the sentence?
Are you sure what you've said is true?...
Islam has so many contradictions. It's forbidden to commit adultery or to cheat or to rape but it's fine to sleep with sex slaves. That's somehow not considered cheating or rape. It's ok to force poor women in war to have sex with you but sex is supposed to be a sin outside marriage. How does that even make sense? This is why I'm starting to lose my fath. This is rape.
Original post by Anonymous
Islam has so many contradictions. It's forbidden to commit adultery or to cheat or to rape but it's fine to sleep with sex slaves. That's somehow not considered cheating or rape. It's ok to force poor women in war to have sex with you but sex is supposed to be a sin outside marriage. How does that even make sense? This is why I'm starting to lose my fath. This is rape.

Contracts.

Slaves were considered personal property.

However, adultery was breaking a civil contract between two Muslims, that of marriage. So one is cheating and the other isn't.

It's twisted logic (and immoral) but works in this sense.

The only intellectually honest responses are that God is not fair, merciful and just, or that those are not his words. Both are antithetical to Islam
honestly, i understand where OP is coming from. I've been struggling with this as soon as i started realising that i could do nothing without the "support" of a man in my life. i feel as though the problematic principles you're talking about were specific to the society of 1500 yrs ago and can definitely not apply in that context today. i can not believe that a benevolent God would allow violence of this nature against any group of people. if you feel trapped in your body as a female, i do not think this is necessarily due to islamic rules but restrictive cultural practices. the problem arises with society misinterpreting the word of God - in itself, i have to believe the word of God is faultless.

Are you a troll or not because you seem to be disregarding responses to you...
If this is the OP:

Where do you see all these things happening?
Yes it may have been written 1400 years ago which was a different time and a different place - but personally as a male muslim, i wouldn't do all that including the things you mentioned in your original post.

In my opinion some of them rules stated in the quran will never possibly be used in my lifetime and i doubt in yours. I see islam as being the basic deep down explanation of why we are really here - like opinions aside what the hell am i actually doing here!? Why should i wake up every day?!? why not go to sleep forever and avoid all the misery and sadness (that's including school :wink:

That's the basic question you need to ask yourself - and then find yourself a good muslim man/woman (idk if this is a guy/girl) that will treat you the way you want to be treated but still lives by honourable principles.

Hope you find your way inshallah pm me if you wanna chat :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JabaDaba12
Contracts.

Slaves were considered personal property.

However, adultery was breaking a civil contract between two Muslims, that of marriage. So one is cheating and the other isn't.

It's twisted logic (and immoral) but works in this sense.

Interesting. Are you Muslim?
Original post by Zamestaneh
Are you a troll or not because you seem to be disregarding responses to you...

I will respond to you properly tomorrow.
What standards/axioms are you using for your point about God being unjust for punishing infinitely for finite crimes? How do you know for sure this is unjust?

I could say I think a judge sentencing a murderer to life in prison is unjust and he should instead be given 2 weeks community service. Does it mean the judge is unjust because I disagree with the sentence?

Its unjust by the implicit sense of right and wrong humans posess.If you murder someone then you've taken their life away.Say the person lives to be 100 years.Maybe you deserve to be punished for the remainder of their life.If you are then punished for 100 billion years you've done exactly 0 percent of your punishment because the punishment is infinite.It goes on for eternity.Does that seem right or fair to you?In addition most religions hold that hell is torture of some kind.Theres a reason we dont use torture in the west anymore and thats becauase its barbaric and serves no purpose.If your god tortures people for all eternity then he comes across as sadistic and unworthy of worship.He certainly could not be described as a loving God.Happily there is no evidence that such a god exists.
Original post by hellodave5
Organised religion is simply mind control. Outside of organised religion, it is always reasonable to follow what makes you feel happy, as long as is no harm to others. Islam is just a belief structure (with significant variation within it), like the others. But you know... you can make your own mind up...
This basically, it doesn't help when people are raised in a religious family though & their minds get influenced so they lose their impartiality on the subject, & end up shadowing the same beliefs, often out of fear of broken relations. Personally finding the truth is much more important, & not about fitting in with "my community" as my dad likes to say. People can't chose what family they're born into but they can certainly objectively decide on their own path afterwards.
Original post by jake4198
Hi,

For many Muslims who grow up in western society it can be challenging to preach gender equality while adhering to a religion which has complete disregard for women and young girls. Indeed, you only have to take a look at Muslim-majority countries to appreciate the horrendous misogyny that is ingrained as part of Islamic culture, namely in conservative Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia where women can't drive and even in more progressive Muslim countries like Tunisia where less than 30% of women are in work. In places like Yemen and Oman it isn't atypical for a man to have multiple wives and to force young girls as young as 9 into marriage. The patriarchy may be misused in western society, but in Islam the oppression of women on the basis of their gender is commonplace, even here in Europe. A poll which came out a few months ago shows that 39% Muslims - as a collective in Britain - believe that a woman should always obey their husband.

If you are submissive of Islam because it's the religion your parents have made you follow from birth, then I'd advice you to do some research and form an opinion by yourself. Too many people follow religions blindly and that's a very dangerous mandate to follow because it makes people ignorant to reality and reason. I'm an atheist - and in a few years so will be most of this country. Don't be afraid to challenge your views and leave Islam if it's not for you.

Hope I helped,

Jake

I agree with you mostly, nice comment. I'm a Muslim girl although I know that the misogyny in Saudi about not driving cars and forcing 9 year old girls to wed is unallowed in Islam :smile:
Just when I start to think positive I come across this to prove my poin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3716280/Yes-boys-sex-slaves-Outrage-British-Muslim-cleric-mosque-Cardiff-jihadis-radicalised-tells-teenagers-captives-permissible-Islam.html

Yes it is Daily fail article. But this practice IS permissible, almost all scholars agree on it. What scares me is that this is technically rape. I'm just so confused.

But loads of scholars are wahabbis from Saudi who are misogynistic, even their female clerics are!:frown: I'm Shia Muslim and we are a bit different
Original post by Paniniception
But loads of scholars are wahabbis from Saudi who are misogynistic, even their female clerics are!:frown: I'm Shia Muslim and we are a bit different

What do you mean by different?
I agree with you mostly, nice comment. I'm a Muslim girl although I know that the misogyny in Saudi about not driving cars and forcing 9 year old girls to wed is unallowed in Islam :smile:

Of course a forced marriage is not allowed, it's funny that people that argue about 'child marriages being acceptable' in islam fail to see that contradictory point. ☕️🐸
Original post by Khizer.M

In my opinion some of them rules stated in the quran will never possibly be used in my lifetime and i doubt in yours.

Well, a lot of Muslims including those on TSR would disagree with you.

If that was even true then it make parts of the Qu'ran completely pointless.

How is that?

You allow women to get married for the purpose of sex, so they can get divorced straight after?

Latest

Trending

Trending