The Student Room Group

Did you ' bend ' the truth in your personal statement

Looking back over my PS and I feel bad cause there's quite a few things I mention which aren't exactly 100% accurate....

did any of you guys say things to make you look good or am I the only one lmao

Scroll to see replies

Nah I was 100% honest
Reply 2
Original post by Serine Soul
Nah I was 100% honest

hmmm maybe I'm the only one then
Original post by fefssdf
Looking back over my PS and I feel bad cause there's quite a few things I mention which aren't exactly 100% accurate....

What did you bend the truth about#?
Reply 4
Original post by LPauling
What did you bend the truth about#?

going to a museum and seeing something ; i saw the things on a website but i haven't actually been to the museum in real life... read a whole book when i just read like an 1/8 of it
Original post by fefssdf
going to a museum and seeing something ; i saw the things on a website but i haven't actually been to the museum in real life... read a whole book when i just read like an 1/8 of it

Yeah I did the same thing about the book though I read 1/2 but yeah didnt finish it before I submitted personal statement. What subject did you apply for
Reply 6
Yeah I did the same thing about the book though I read 1/2 but yeah didnt finish it before I submitted personal statement. What subject did you apply for

maths ... basically I read a bit of the book and wrote a few lines about this envelope paradox thing and said how it was interesting ect and then when i went for an interview at one of my unis i had to explain it to the guy... basically someone gives you two envelopes and one has X amount and the other one has 2X amount and you can pick one, but this paradox says that once you've picked one you should then swap as if you swap then the expected amount you;re gonna get will increase but once you've swapped then again its better if you keep swapping... the guy was like so ' how is that the case' and I'm like ' i don't really no ' and then he was just like yh i don't really understand I'll look into that further so maybe what i learnt here is put something really stupid on your ps that even the professor won't understand lmao
Never lie, just exaggerate.
Original post by fefssdf
maths ... basically I read a bit of the book and wrote a few lines about this envelope paradox thing and said how it was interesting ect and then when i went for an interview at one of my unis i had to explain it to the guy... basically someone gives you two envelopes and one has X amount and the other one has 2X amount and you can pick one, but this paradox says that once you've picked one you should then swap as if you swap then the expected amount you;re gonna get will increase but once you've swapped then again its better if you keep swapping... the guy was like so ' how is that the case' and I'm like ' i don't really no ' and then he was just like yh i don't really understand I'll look into that further so maybe what i learnt here is put something really stupid on your ps that even the professor won't understand lmao

Haha fair enough. I did finish the book after I submitted my PS so dont know if I did something wrong or not haha
Reply 9
Haha fair enough. I did finish the book after I submitted my PS so dont know if I did something wrong or not haha

i still haven't finished that book ; it got so confusing and complicated that i think I'm just going to leave it
Original post by fefssdf

Thankfully, I told the whole truth. If I had lied/not been completely honest, I would probably gave been picked up on it at interview with my luck!
I think most people 'bend' the truth. Something one has done is rarely going to fit in nicely when telling the complete truth. You have to put different emphasises on things.

For example...
I went on a business insight day at PwC where there were various sessions throughout the day. However I'm only going to mention the bits relevant to my course, and those bits will of course be exaggerated as most of the day wasn't relevant to economics.
When I read my personal statement back to myself for a moment I thought the sun shone out of my arse.
Oh yeah, I'm totally a punctual person :P

Honestly it's done, they're not going to fact check it. Just make sure it's something you can talk about, seen or no
There may have been a few slight exaggerations...

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
you don't have to if you're good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I may have exaggerated a few points, but I didn't exactly lie. It may have helped me get 5 offers :s
I haven't written mine yet but I know that I'll say I've been to multiple masterclasses and taster sessions, when in reality I've only been to one.

#rebel
Reply 18
Original post by lucabrasi98
There may have been a few slight exaggerations...

Spoiler

Mine is like 70% BS. The only truth is the last few bits about what I wanna do after the degree
Reply 19
Original post by Peppercrunch
Well, I may have exaggerated a few points, but I didn't exactly lie. It may have helped me get 5 offers :s

Yeh same I've got the places I want go and I got away with interviews hehe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending