The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by varabala
Hi guys.

For people who already took the ukcat, I was wondering if DM (subtest) is done at the end or is it expected after QR like before.

Many thanks Vara

From what I understand, its the second section after Verbal Reasoning
Original post by wishingwillow
how do the official ukcat mocks compare to the actual test? the official ones r awful.......

agreed! I did shockingly on QR on the mock UKCAT test, but fine on the Medfiy one.
Really want to know if the actual things compare to either of these?
Original post by groovygrace143
As its not counted, do we even have to revise for it?

Hi groovygrace143

It is probably worth focusing your prep on the other areas that do count but also worth giving the DA section your proper attention during the test as it is never a good idea to switch off part way through a test. Far better to keep your mind focused so as not to lose momentum when you move on to the next section which will count.Also, whilst hopefully you will have no reason to even think about having to take it again next year, it is worth bearing in mind that if the worst were to happen and you were to find yourself in the situation of retaking it, you would be in a much better position next time having taken the DA section seriously this time.

With all of that in mind, it would probably be a good idea to do some preparation towards the DA section, just don't stress yourself out about it!

Hope that helps... just shout if you have any questions.UniAdmissions
image.jpg

Hey,,
Can anyone help me with this question.
The answer is A, how ?🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Original post by Mariamjaan
image.jpg

Hey,,

Two enclosed black spaces
Set B has three
is it just me or do the timed medify practice questions give like 2 seconds more per question than what we actually get?
Original post by ah639
Two enclosed black spaces
Set B has three

Thank you😊
Original post by zak7399
Best way to revise for a UKCAT test and good revision resources?
Many thanks

Hi Zak7399

We would advise setting aside a few hours per day (ideally 4+) to practise for your UKCAT in the weeks leading up to your test date. This could either be done on your own using resources that you have collected or as part of a course.

There are lots of resources available and whilst I would of course recommend ours :smile:, what I would also say is, make sure that what you choose is the most up to date and comprehensive available as this can vary largely.

You might be interested in reading this blog which has lots of tips for getting ready for your UKCAT.

Give me a shout if you have any questions... always to happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Reply 1108
Original post by Uni12345678
Okay so I cannot do this test. If I have all the time in the world, I'd probably get full marks on verbal and quantitative, but I CANT do abstract reasoning, I really really can't. I was doing practice from the 1000 qs book and I find them fine, but the ones on the practice tests are too hard, I can't see any patterns whatsoever can anyone help meeee

I felt exactly like you but in the real thing the questions were far easier so I ended up with a 750 when I was struggling to get 600/650 in the practice tests.
Just don't let them stress you out and I'd recommend using Medify if you can afford it.
Hey,
so just wondering, for those of you who have done the UKCAT, was it harder or easier than practice questions? Because, especially with abstract, I have heard that the patterns aren't as obscure as those you get in practice books.
Also, what online question banks would you guys recommend?
Thanks!
What average score is considered as a good UKCAT score?
I'm doing revision, but I'm not sure if I am doing bad or good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dunlf
I felt exactly like you but in the real thing the questions were far easier so I ended up with a 750 when I was struggling to get 600/650 in the practice tests.
Just don't let them stress you out and I'd recommend using Medify if you can afford it.

Hi thanks, this was helpful. I've found the practice qs in the official book a lot easier. other than medify do you recommend any other qs that are more like the real thing?
Also I'm thinking of doing a Kaplan course, anyone know if this is worth it?

Thank youuuxx
Original post by Mariamjaan
image.jpg

Hey,,

Hey what book was this from? X
Original post by Freyr
I second this. The 1000Q book has some (really diffiucult) questions, but its main benefit is to teach you key skills and ways to go about the questions.

Agreed, for the ISC 1000Q book:

VR - pretty much in line with exam
QR - Question difficulty range from in line with exam generally, to in line with the hardest questions at the exam.
AR - Harder than the exam generally but in line with the more tricky questions at the exam.
SJT - In line with the exam.

For Medify:
VR - Easier than the exam
QR - In line with the exam
AR - In line with the exam but does not contain the new types of questions.
SJT - In line with the exam
Original post by michrab123
Did my UKCAT earlier this year and thought I'd start a blog on med applications / UKCAT tips etc. to help others doing it too. For UKCAT part only VR section is done so far, so keep your eyes peeled for more info:

https://scrubsnstilettos.wordpress.com/

Hope it helps :smile:

What did you get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spacedoc98
Did my UKCAT today, a mixed bag:Abstract-860Quantitative-780Verbal-540SJT-Band 1As you can see I did terribly in verbal-I think this was because I was really panicking when I started and my timing was awful, I guessed most of the last few questions, I'd say about 10(!). It's also really weird cos in all of my mocks verbal reasoning was my strongest, I was getting 750s, and qr was my weakest! I really did have high hopes for vr :'( So really goes to show that the outcome of the test really depends on the day/ questions you get guys.The other sections got progressively better thank goodness.My advice would be really try not to panic, and trust in your ability!

Do you have any SJT tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gayabalas
Hey,
so just wondering, for those of you who have done the UKCAT, was it harder or easier than practice questions? Because, especially with abstract, I have heard that the patterns aren't as obscure as those you get in practice books.
Also, what online question banks would you guys recommend?
Thanks!

from my own experience, having done 1000Q, Medify and official mocks, VR was about the same maybe slightly harder in the real exam, QR and AR were both easier than practice. id recommend Medify, there are a lot of questions and 4 mocks to do, it helps you get used to the format, and all the practice questions are timed so you get a good idea of how youre doing speedwise.
Original post by DaVinciGirl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on each year, the average is around 630
So anything above 580 would be a good score, i think (sometimes dependent on your individual scores).

The UKCAT can actually be a very minor part of your application depending on where you apply. So when you do get your result, compare it to the entry requirements of the school's you want :smile:
Original post by DaVinciGirl

Posted from TSR Mobile

The average varies each year, and we may see a big shift this year in the average score as there are only 3 sections making up the total rather than 4 (hence one section fewer to drag your mark down or one section fewer to drag your mark up, it could work either way) so it could vary a lot from previous years.

All the information I am going to quote below I have gathered directly from the UKCAT test statistics document which can be found here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf
I will be using the average scores which do not include decision analysis in them, even though decision analysis was used in previous years, this is because it is more of a fair comparison.

The averages excluding DA from the previous years are: 623 (2012); 624 (2013); 630 (2014) and 634 (2015). This gives an overall average over the past 4 years of 628.
generally to be scoring above average of approximately 630 would be placing you in decile 5 or above, wheras scoring below average would be placing you in decile 4 or below. Obviously the higher the decile the better your score is in comparison to that year, you are aiming for the higher deciles.
Last year (2015) to enter decile 9, the highest decile without DA you needed an average of 720, wheras to be placed in the lowest decile of 1 you needed an average of 550 without DA.

I would personally say:
- a score below 600 is below average and will make choices of universities limited for these candidates.
- a score between 600 and 650 is a decent average score. it may not make you stand out at universities which heavily use the UKCAT but there are many options with a score like this.
- a score between 650 and 700 is a good score, it may be risky for places such as newcastle or glasgow but for unis which use the UKCAT in conjunction with other factors it will be a good score.
- a score of over 700 is an excellent score.

Obviously this is not fact, this is my opinions based on the deciles from the UKCAT document. My best advice is yo use that document to compare your UKCAT score to the deciles, if your in decile 7/8/9 then fantastic, if your in decile 5/6 then good but make wise decisions, if your lower than that make sure you consider your options of medical school carefully as you need to apply to your strengths.
How many VR passages are safe to skip but still get a decent score on it ~650 e

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending