The Student Room Group

Which uni should I apply to now that there are no AS's?

Just wanted to start off by saying that I made a new account because I didn't know how to post anonymously so I request that nobody calls me a troll or whatever for having an account that was made today.

My main problem now is that I want to study medicine but how is that going to work out since my school didn't let me sit AS's?? I didn't have the best GCSE grades (pretty **** for someone who wants to do medicine, 1A*, 5A's 3 B's & 1C in art) but I improved a lot. Because my exams were internal and we've already got our results back, my teachers said they'd predict me A*A for the sciences because I did decent in them. For maths I think I'll be predicted an A/A*. That isn't enough for Cambridge but it's just below it, I'm just wondering if it's worth me applying to Cambridge or not (let's say I do well enough in my a levels to get the entry requirements and I do really well in the BMAT too).
Do you guys think it's worth me giving up a place for Cambridge when I could get an offer elsewhere without as much competition, or should I apply to Cambridge because I really liked the place when I visited it and I love the learning style.
Reply 1
Original post by FHSBSBS
Just wanted to start off by saying that I made a new account because I didn't know how to post anonymously so I request that nobody calls me a troll or whatever for having an account that was made today.

My main problem now is that I want to study medicine but how is that going to work out since my school didn't let me sit AS's?? I didn't have the best GCSE grades (pretty **** for someone who wants to do medicine, 1A*, 5A's 3 B's & 1C in art) but I improved a lot. Because my exams were internal and we've already got our results back, my teachers said they'd predict me A*A for the sciences because I did decent in them. For maths I think I'll be predicted an A/A*. That isn't enough for Cambridge but it's just below it, I'm just wondering if it's worth me applying to Cambridge or not (let's say I do well enough in my a levels to get the entry requirements and I do really well in the BMAT too).
Do you guys think it's worth me giving up a place for Cambridge when I could get an offer elsewhere without as much competition, or should I apply to Cambridge because I really liked the place when I visited it and I love the learning style.

You need to be realistically on target for A*A*A to make a worthwhile Cambridge application. That's more important than your GCSEs.
The BMAT and interview, etc will play a part too.

Many applicants will not have AS either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
You need to be realistically on target for A*A*A to make a worthwhile Cambridge application. That's more important than your GCSEs.
The BMAT and interview, etc will play a part too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, is there anything else that plays a major role in my application that I can use for my advantage?
I have 3 weeks worth of hospital placements all at different places and I've shown leadership skills at an expidition and I've shown commitment by spending around 3 months fundraising for great Ormand st hospital.
Reply 3
Original post by FHSBSBS
Thanks, is there anything else that plays a major role in my application that I can use for my advantage?
I have 3 weeks worth of hospital placements all at different places and I've shown leadership skills at an expidition and I've shown commitment by spending around 3 months fundraising for great Ormand st hospital.

I'll leave a medic to answer that. Or ask in the Medicine forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending