The Student Room Group

Fast Track A - Level Pure Maths

I am currently doing a level 3 btec extended diploma in music and am half way through my two year course. I have decided that I want to do a mathematics and music course at Southampton university but realise i need an A - Level in Maths. I am currently considering doing a fast track a level to get these results but is that the way to do this? Also as i am not doing further maths would i need to complete a step paper? I am really confused and could really use some help.
Original post by ellenw1499
I am currently doing a level 3 btec extended diploma in music and am half way through my two year course. I have decided that I want to do a mathematics and music course at Southampton university but realise i need an A - Level in Maths. I am currently considering doing a fast track a level to get these results but is that the way to do this? Also as i am not doing further maths would i need to complete a step paper? I am really confused and could really use some help.

what did you get in gcse?
Reply 2

I wouldn't advise for you to do STEP if you have not done A level Maths before (it is far more harder than A level Maths). On their website they state that you will need at least 3 A-levels so your BTEC in Music may not be acceptable (I would email them to ask if I was you), and will reduce your offer to AAB if you do Further Maths or do STEP.
Reply 3
In Maths I got an A, I got 10 GCSES ranging from A - C
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
I wouldn't advise for you to do STEP if you have not done A level Maths before (it is far more harder than A level Maths). On their website they state that you will need at least 3 A-levels so your BTEC in Music may not be acceptable (I would email them to ask if I was you), and will reduce your offer to AAB if you do Further Maths or do STEP.

The course I am on is equivalent to 3 A Levels so luckily that isn't the problem as I have checked with other universities and they except DDM as equivalent it is just the fact that I do not have a maths A-level.I am hoping the fast track a level will be enough to get me onto the course or at least qualify to apply.
Reply 5
The course I am on is equivalent to 3 A Levels so luckily that isn't the problem as I have checked with other universities and they except DDM as equivalent it is just the fact that I do not have a maths A-level.I am hoping the fast track a level will be enough to get me onto the course or at least qualify to apply.

But what I want to know is have you checked with Southampton specifically? Not all uni (mostly those that require AAB+ ) accept BTECs for Maths, so you should always ask ALL the unis you are interested in applying (which should be around 5)
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
But what I want to know is have you checked with Southampton specifically? Not all uni (mostly those that require AAB+ ) accept BTECs for Maths, so you should always ask ALL the unis you are interested in applying (which should be around 5)

i have emailed them about the course i would like to apply for to make sure but on their website they say they do except BTEC qualifications

Why do you want to study Maths, out of interest? (It is not directly relevant to your question but it may help you in some way)

What kind of things does it involve at university?

To answer your question though, I would not recommend thinking about STEP just yet - that plus A-level maths in a year (without Further Maths as well) might just be too much to handle and perhaps not necessary for Southampton.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 133221333123111
Why do you want to study Maths, out of interest? (It is not directly relevant to your question but it may help you in some way)

What kind of things does it involve at university?

it is a general maths course which study a wide area of subjects which interests me because it will give me the qualifications to become a maths teacher but also have the music aspect of it which is my main interest
it is a general maths course which study a wide area of subjects which interests me because it will give me the qualifications to become a maths teacher but also have the music aspect of it which is my main interest

Is this the course you're referring to?
Reply 10
Original post by 133221333123111
Is this the course you're referring to?

yeah it is
Hey,

Have you thought about teaching yourself maths or getting a tutor or something? I am currently teaching myself Pre-U Mathematics and my dad did a masters in mechanical engineering so he is helping me with the course. If you're dedicated enough you can do it.
Reply 12
Original post by kanyenot
Hey,

Have you thought about teaching yourself maths or getting a tutor or something? I am currently teaching myself Pre-U Mathematics and my dad did a masters in mechanical engineering so he is helping me with the course. If you're dedicated enough you can do it.

im hoping i can do a distance learning course to gain me the needed qualification
yeah it is

Cool. Then I would say the following things.

As above, check Southampton and their requirements for the reasons kkboyk has already outlined. If STEP is not a requirement, I would not suggest sitting it as I think in this situation it would just be too much work to be worth it.

Having looked at brief descriptions of the modules, it is more of a maths degree than a music degree (i.e the balance between maths and music is weighted towards maths) so I'd wager that it's as difficult as a straight maths degree, if not more difficult because of the music components. I mention that because the topics that are covered are the same as maths at uni, so while I don't know the specific content or how difficult it is at Southampton, I imagine it will be on par with the other good maths unis, i.e quite difficult, and it really helps if you know what you're in for, which is not easy if you're yet to do the A-level and trying to commit to studying maths at uni.

So just be careful and have more of a think about whether you want to do maths. It is not something that you want to do on a whim and with little experience beforehand - otherwise you will struggle.

I don't know enough about PGCEs and whatever and how much maths you need to be able to qualify as a maths teacher so I don't know. There may or may not be the possibility of not needing to study any kind of maths at uni, but I don't want to mislead you - this is something you can look into in more detail. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest