Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RDKGames
1. Get everything under same denominator
2. Tidy up the numerator
3. Cancel any common factors

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469984130.963724.jpg
Posted from TSR Mobile

ok now im more confused. Wouldnt it be easier to multiply the first fraction by x+2 / x+2
Original post by kiiten
ok now im more confused. Wouldnt it be easier to multiply the first fraction by x+2 / x+2

Sure, but then you would need to multiply it by (x+1)/(x+1) because (x+2)(x+1) is the quadratic on the second fraction so you would only be multiplying by one of the factors when you need both.

All I'm really doing is applying ab+cd=adbd+cbdb=ad+cbbd\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=\frac{ad}{bd}+\frac{cb}{db}=\frac{ad+cb}{bd} and simplifying everything. Doesn't get any more complex than that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sure, but then you would need to multiply it by (x+1)/(x+1) because (x+2)(x+1) is the quadratic on the second fraction so you would only be multiplying by one of the factors when you need both.

All I'm really doing is applying ab+cd=adbd+cbdb=ad+cbbd\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=\frac{ad}{bd}+\frac{cb}{db}=\frac{ad+cb}{bd} and simplifying everything. Doesn't get any more complex than that.

But the first fraction already has x+1 as a denominator??
Original post by kiiten

Ah right I see what you mean. Yes you can just ignore multiplying by (x+1) then. Though you should still follow that method if the denominator don't share anything in common.
I think my mind is going blank; how do I get the expansion for cosec(2x)cosec(2x)? Do I just use binomial with (1+[sin(2x)1])1(1+[sin(2x)-1])^{-1}? Seems a bit long winded. I found the expansion for sin(2x)sin(2x) but unsure how I can use that here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah right I see what you mean. Yes you can just ignore multiplying by (x+1) then. Though you should still follow that method if the denominator don't share anything in common.

Yep. Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by kiiten

Yep, you've got the right idea, your method is much more suitable and shows understanding. :-)
I think my mind is going blank; how do I get the expansion for cosec(2x)cosec(2x)? Do I just use binomial with (1+[sin(2x)1])1(1+[sin(2x)-1])^{-1}? Seems a bit long winded. I found the expansion for sin(2x)sin(2x) but unsure how I can use that here.

How many terms do you need? Just differentiate and plug in x=0x=0 into the derivative, same for the second derivative, etc... up till how many terms you need. If you want the general formula, express it in terms of complex exponentials and use their respective taylor expands, you'll get something in the form of Bernoulli numbers.
Original post by Zacken
How many terms do you need? Just differentiate and plug in x=0x=0 into the derivative, same for the second derivative, etc... up till how many terms you need. If you want the general formula, express it in terms of complex exponentials and use their respective taylor expands, you'll get something in the form of Bernoulli numbers.

I just need the first 3, is there no direct way to use the first 3 terms from expansion for sin(2x) for this?
I just need the first 3, is there no direct way to use the first 3 terms from expansion for sin(2x) for this?

Heuristically, nope. Not worth it.
Original post by Zacken
Heuristically, nope. Not worth it.

Ah right.

Original post by Zacken
Just differentiate and plug in x=0x=0 into the derivative, same for the second derivative, etc... up till how many terms you need.

Do you mean carry out this? cosec(2x) doesn't exist at x=0 :/
asdasd.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you mean carry out this? cosec(2x) doesn't exist at x=0 :/
asdasd.PNG

Can you post a picture of the question? Maybe using
Unparseable latex formula:

\text{\cosec}\, 2x = (1 + \cot^2 x)^{1/2}

might work if you know the series for cot\cot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Can you post a picture of the question? Maybe using cosec2x=(1+cot2x)1/2\cosec 2x = (1 + \cot^2 x)^{1/2} might work if you know the series for cot\cot.

I only know the series expansion for cosx and sinx as far as trig is concerned so far.
Q17 part b

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469987850.092453.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I only know the series expansion for cosx and sinx as far as trig is concerned so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay. Then it's as simple as sin2xcsc2x=1\sin 2x \csc 2x = 1, expand sin2x\sin 2x and then compare coefficients.

i.e:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \left(2x - \frac{4x^3}{3} + \frac{4x^5}{15}\right) (a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3) = 1\end{equation*}

dropping terms of degree >3>3.

Also, would make the numbers nicer if you just used sinxcscx=1\sin x \csc x = 1 and then x2xx \mapsto 2x.
Q17 part b

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to use part a.

You know the expansion of sin2x so 1/sin2x = (sin2x)^-1 = (.....)^-1. Now use binomial expansion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Ah, okay. Then it's as simple as sin2xcsc2x=1\sin 2x \csc 2x = 1, expand sin2x\sin 2x and then compare coefficients.

i.e:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \left(2x - \frac{4x^3}{3} + \frac{4x^5}{15}\right) (a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3) = 1\end{equation*}

dropping terms of degree >3>3.

Also, would make the numbers nicer if you just used sinxcscx=1\sin x \csc x = 1 and then x2xx \mapsto 2x.

That makes sense, but what coefficients do I exactly compare? If 2ax=1a=12x2ax=1 \rightarrow a=\frac{1}{2x} which fits the answer but I'm not sure about others.
That makes sense, but what coefficients do I exactly compare? If 2ax=1a=12x2ax=1 \rightarrow a=\frac{1}{2x} which fits the answer but I'm not sure about others.

Look at my post. I remember doing this question 2 year ago.
Original post by Math12345
Look at my post. I remember doing this question 2 year ago.

I attempted binomial expansion but it got too hairy when it came to replacing sin(2x) by its expansion.
I attempted binomial expansion but it got too hairy when it came to replacing sin(2x) by its expansion.

sin(2x)=2x-(4/3)x^3+... (You can fill in the missing third term)

(sin(2x))^-1 = (2x-(4/3)x^3))^-1 = (2x(1-(2/3)x^2))^-1 = 1/(2x) [1+(2/3)x^2 +...]

You can continue (I used the expansion (1-y)^-1 above).
(edited 7 years ago)

Math12345's answer is rather nicer, but anyways, for completeness:

Coefficient of x2x^2 gives 2b1243=0b=132b - \frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{4}{3}= 0 \Rightarrow b=\frac{1}{3}

x3x^3 gives 2c=0c=02c = 0 \Rightarrow c=0

x4x^4 gives 2d4b3+215=0d=7452d - \frac{4b}{3} + \frac{2}{15} = 0\Rightarrow d = \frac{7}{45}

Quick Reply

Latest